Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcput

Changing Blooms

pcput
10 years ago

This plant was bought at HD in FL and had no tags, not even a price tag so I have no idea what supplier it's from. It's first bloom made me think it might have been an Aztec Gold but look at what it's done in our heat this summer. This is the same inflo that produced both blooms.
3 1/2 - 4" bloom
long lasting
not strong smell
peach smelling sometimes and other times suntan lotion
vivid yellow- pink edge fades to violet
Any ideas what it is?
Peg

Comments (16)

• plumejunkie
    10 years ago

Heat does crazy things to plumeria doesn't it....

I have a plant that makes a beautiful rainbow of colors, well one time I left it in the house over winter & wasn't able to get it outside early enough due to the cold nights. It started to bloom, and I couldn't believe it........it was white with a yellow eye.

This leads me to believe that it's not actually the heat.......but the intensity of the uv rays that actually cause the color change!

Anyway, your plant is beautiful, good luck figuring out what it is.......it can be very difficult!

Peace & happy growing,
    Jason

• pcput
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jason. It's tall (over 4')and thick so am glad it bloomed so it will branch. It has 3 new tips and I hope they don't have to be 4' before they bloom. I'll have a VW in no time. :)
    Peg

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Peg, that flower's lovely no matter the lighting. It doesn't ring a bell for names, though.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Well, I like it too! There are probably scores that look sort of like that. It's a keeper. Compact grower??

• pcput
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jen it sure did change. Wonder if it will change more when these new tips bloom.

Thanks Dave. I sure wouldn't call it compact when it is over 4' tall when this one tipper bloomed. Guess these new tips might tell more about it's growth.

Peg

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow that's sooo beautiful! This is why I love plumeria so much. Same plant but the blooms can be so different! Awesome!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Peg,

It is a beauty!!! I have never seen one change like that... All three shades are beautiful,,, sure it isn't called. " Chameleon.... ". Lol!!!!

Sure is a keeper...

Thanks for sharing this unique bloom!!! ;-)

Take care,

Laura

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Peg, Im thinking Jason is right on the money, with regard to UV intensity. Penang Peach where I live, is well, peach in color, but it blooms in startling fuchsia & orange -red streaks, almost fluorescently so, for an acquaintance in Malaysia, even when our temps and our humidity are identical, I couldn't fathom it, but Jason's theory may well explain the difference in coloration of identical plants in different locales. (There may be other reasons, too, such as nutritional differences in soil mixes, but I don't think those are great enough to account for these amazing color changes!)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

I have observed that my Penang blooms more yellow when temps are cooler and more red/orange when temps are hot.

These colors change regularly with the temperatures over the course of the summer. For example, we are experiencing cooler nights (upper 60s) right now and Penang has gone back to more yellowish tones.

Next week we'll likely get hot again and it'll go back to red/orange.

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

I really don't think it's Aztec Gold but it's very pretty!

PlumeJunkie: I tend to agree it is the intensity of the uv rays that actually cause the color change more so than heat. That can work both ways though. We can get intensities in some varieties that others will never get without special lights. However, it depends on the variety. Some will fade. I try to look for ones that intensify and avoid ones that are known to fade in Florida sun. However, one thing I have done with the faders is to move them to filtered sun once the blooms start opening. It works.

• pcput
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura - Thanks, It's nice to have a bloom to share :)

Cyra - I think it got better so don't care what made it do it and love the way it fades to violet.

Dave - It's amazing how they change color so we have a new plant everyday. You would think we could be happy with just a few then. HaHa - NOT

powderpuff - I don't think Aztec Gold any more and since I already have an AG I'm glad it didn't turn out to be one :)
    Peg

• pcput
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Lynn! I missed your post. I like when they change too but still we want more and more.
    Peg

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Always love to see your blooms Peg!!!

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

That is amazing, Peg. Have you come to any conclusions on what it may be?

• pcput
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mona, no one seems to have any clues what it might be so I guess I'll have to give it a name. I'll wait until it blooms more to see if they change any more first. I'm just happy to have something blooming :)
    Peg

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Peg!

Amazing transformation! So glad you got such a beautiful NOID!

-Robert

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?