Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
printmaster1

Plumeria and carry-on luggage

Anyone have experience with transporting plumeria cuttings or bare-rooted plants as carry-on or checked luggage on airlines?

I'll be in San Diego county end of the month and will visit JJ's. Anticipating a purchase????

Any other places to visit in southern California?

Lonnie

Comments (11)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Hi,

I don't think that would be a problem. When I used to live in the East Coast and was visiting CA I bought home 6 Orchids home for my dad. I remember a little girl picked one of the flowers while I was walking on the plane! The flight Attendant helped me store the two bags near the front.

If I were you I would have Jon pack up the 5 gal and bring them right on the plane with me! :)

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

I just did this when I went to Florida. I just bare rooted 4 1 gal pots and packed them up and actually they were too big for my carry on so I put them into my checked bag and when I got to my car, I checked them out and they were just fine.

Andrew

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Lonnie, if you buy from JJ have him pack the paper bags over the whole plants... that will protect all the leaves and then you can fit them other bags. I carried mine on fully potted.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Lonnie, if you buy from JJ have him pack the paper bags over the whole plants... that will protect all the leaves and then you can fit them other bags. I carried mine on fully potted.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

take an extra suitcase! My sis always brings an extra suitcase when she comes to visit to hold the plants she steals. She has successfully, and she has no green thumb, transported everything from cactus to plumeria with great success. They are all still alive too!
    Tally HO!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi There,

Most arilines will let you carry on two carry ons when traveling.. If you plan on checking a bag, you can place some cuttings in there. ( or bare rooted treess..) If you decide to carry on your luggage (rollerboard) then you could carry on a large bag that you can carry on top of your rollerboard. like the flight crew use. You could find a good solid bag that it large enough to place a few one gallon trees in the containers and carry them on pretty easily (probably three) I would also wrap up the leaves to allow more space.. If you bare root them like Andrew did, you coud get more into the carry on bag. Personally and Professionally..LOL since i work on the plane...you won't be able to carry on many trees in five gallon conainers and find a place to store them. I wish it was possible, but...honestly you might have a huge problem.. Just wanted to let you know in advance...

I would stick to one gallon... If you dont want to root prune..i would guess three.

Most other members know that i carried lots of cuttings on the plane from CA to VA. I had lots of people looking at me because i looked like a lady with a bunch of huge sticks. When i had to store them in the overhead, i had to take some of the "Antlers" out and relocate them in the space above my head. I usually dont give an eye to others when they place things next to mine, but this time i was so protective of those babies.. My DH just looked out the window and smiled while i "worked" with the other passengers. I wasnt in uniform, so i could give the look... LOL

Good Luck!!!

Let us know what you find..

You can always pick out five gallon containers and have Jon mail them to you!!!

Remember... Extra luggage can cost an extra $ per bag...

Take care,

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Dang it!

I'm putting my foot down! Nobody goes to JJ's unless I get to go too!

Well, that would work in my house

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Mona you come too and I will meet you there! How fun will that be?

• RollinFrogg
    11 years ago

oh man if you both go together, there will be no plants left for anyone else!!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I wanna go too!
    Tally HO!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Cuttings (of normal size) are fine either way. Just protect from damage. With the exception of PSA sale purchases and gifts from friends all but 2 of my collection was transported in a checked bag or carry on. (The 2 are actually JJ's which Jandy picked out in person and John mailed to me.)

You could take your bag/suitcase to JJ buy a few and then prep in the parking lot...test fit, and then buy more if you can. I agree sticking to the smalls is the best bet.

Personally I would pay the $25 or $35 extra bag fee if it had a half dozen one gallon JJ plumerias in it. OR...just fly first class. Then your bags are free. :)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm