Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

1 Yr Penang Peach Seedling #3 Bloom!

elucas101
10 years ago

***HAPPY DANCE!!!*** The third Penang Peach seedling to bloom has finally opened all the way and I guess I have a new favorite! The colors are really saturated and are glowing with color, she's a big show off!!!

This one has similarities with its sibling #1 but still quite different from it. overall. I'm so pleased with this one, I just love her!!!

The lens is a little fogged in this one and one more down further, the sun was coming in & out of the clouds a bit and the humidity was intense since it rained last night! I haven't adjusted anything except the size of the pictures though.

Comments (15)

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I like this one!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

Wow!! You've done such a great job with your seedlings ... I'd love to see a how-to manual! Seriously, though, this flower looks beautiful - how close to its "final" form are initial seedling blooms, usually?

Hollis

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Wow, stunning!

Can you please post pics of the other 2 siblings' blooms and of the parent tree? I know you have already posted pics but having all in the same thread would be easier to compare them.

Mima

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

That is so cool! I really like the colors on that one! :D Does it have a fragrace??!?

Mark

• nativec
    10 years ago

That's it Emily! I'm going to go buy a bunch of seeds that I have wanted and I'm shipping them to you! LOL. I lose patience with seedlings but if I could use the Emily Method maybe I'll revive my interest.

You are doing such a great job! When and if you start selling cuttings of your beauties put me on the list:)

Nicole

• pcput
    10 years ago

Yet another eye catcher. Congrats Emily! Keep up the good work.
    Peg

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you disneyhorse!

Hollis thank you so much! Ya know, I was really wondering that too - does anyone know how much I can expect them to change and is it usually for the better? LOL! I would figure (hope) they would only improve with time? The Kimi M. seedling went through a progression of flower shapes and color variations in a few short days, almost as if the plant is 'learning' how to bloom, getting used to blooming, like cleaning the pipes out to get primed!

Mima thank you! Here is a comparison of the 3 blooming Penang's at different stages. It's so strange because they look so different at any given time, but you can certainly see the similarities between seedling #1 and seedling #3.

Thank you Maark! I went out to smell it earlier and there was a large lizard out there close to it and he had a big bug in his mouth so I had to wait to come back later so as not to interfere with his excellent work! I also have 2 adorable lizard babies that I see on my plants too, they are precious! This is him from earlier this morning :

But I just went out again and it smells fruity to me. Not super strong but it's there, very nice and sweet.

LOL! Nicole, thank you so much and I will definitely put you on the list for future cuttings - how awesome that anyone would even want a cutting of my seedling!!! I'm really excited to see how the blooms develop as the plant matures.

I will admit, them blooming does make it so much more fun FOR SURE - I was not at my wits end with them but I could absolutely see how after several years it's not fun at all if you've gotten nothing.

I had moments during the winter though that I got rid of many seedlings out of frustration or because they looked sickly, not knowing what to do and just being worn out. I was watering them in my guest bathroom bathtub and was in the vicious spider mite battle- I know more now and cringe thinking of the ones that I let go, but the reality is sometimes seedlings are fun and sometimes they aren't, just like adult plants - hauling in for winter, etc.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Gorgeous, thank you elucas! The second one is so different, yet sooo beautiful! Good job!

Mima

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much Peg, I appreciate that!

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mima, I know, so different! The next Penang about to bloom looks like it has VERY dark buds compared to the others so this could be interesting! I guess it's like a litter of kittens where they can all be completely different?! LOL! Also, the seeds were from Brad's - which means possibly Kukiat! - and who knows if all the seeds are from the same harvest? So maybe different pollinations?

Hollis - I forgot to add - if you want to talk about seedlings, feel free to email me or post questions, I'll try to help with my limited experience!

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Superb all 3 of them! Waiting impatiently to see the next blooms.
    Thanks for sharing!

Now I can hardly wait next year to see the blooms of my seedlings. They will be 1 year old then, yay!

Mima

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I think five of the original 60 varied seedlings I kept are Penang Peach... I'm crossing my fingers! Your dark one is my favorite. Thanks for the family montage photo!!!

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Absolutely lovely, and so different from #2, wow! Makes the waiting on my own one and two year olds, a little more bearable. Thanks for posting your pics, Emily.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Another very interesting seedling.

Penang Peach seems to be a good Mama.

Do these seedlings all exhibit a similar compact form, and bent down leaf tips?

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Simply amazing!! You are magic that's all I can say. I don't understand how you got them to bloom after one season from seeds! Craziness! LOL.

I'm sending you my Star of Siam seeds just so you know. ;)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County