Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplumies

Plumerias Cuttings

loveplumies
10 years ago

I finally planted my 3 plumeria cuttings. I planted one in a plastic cup so I can see the roots and the other 2 in black containers. I'd like to know if I should keep them in the sun or in shade while they root. Tempertures here in Austin, Tx are over 100 degrees during July and August. Thank ya'll =)

This post was edited by loveplumies on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 14:43

Comments (10)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Wow, now those are cuttings. Instant trees once they root. You have good people around your neck of the woods. They will be best at letting you know how to handle them in your texas heat.
    I personally would give them afternoon shade and remove the rocks as they can cause serious heat build up.

Just my opinion here but I would try to root a more straight piece of them. Those being lateral branches for as long as they were the natural bend toward what used to be up will now and pretty much be forever. The new growth will want to grow vertical and may look a bit funny.

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 16:19

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Haha you call those monsters cuttings? They are practically trees! Lol. Looking great though. I would give them morning sun and afternoon shade. But I am sure the experts here can give you better advice since I don't really have a great track record for rooting a cutting. Good luck!

• loveplumies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your help! Instant trees for sure! One has been blooming. I brought them from California. My friend has plenty and cut them up for me. I've had the one in the pot for 2 years now. There are 2 but I think they are different since the leaves are different sizes. I placed the rocks because that's what an "expert" said to do so on You Tube. You are right tho, our temps are high over 101 degrees all week and probably all of August. The rocks create heat and could damage it.

• loveplumies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought the same thing. Thinking they would look weird if I leave them the way they are now. I may try to cut them up but once they root. Next Spring maybe. =) Thank you for your opinion =)

• loveplumies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought the same thing. Thinking they would look weird if I leave them the way they are now. I may try to cut them up but once they root. Next Spring maybe. =) Thank you for your opinion =)

• jandey1
    10 years ago

In my experience, the cuttings can still be sunburned in Austin in even just morning sun. I would put them in full shade this time of year, like under a patio table or at least under the canopy of some other plants.

The rocks are usually okay for me, but that's when they're leafed out enough to shade their trunk. Better to be safe and remove them, though you may want to stabilize those big cuttings somehow.

They look great--good luck with them!

• loveplumies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your suggestion. I will place them under my patio under shade and no sun and stabalized. I'll remove the rocks. =) Thanks again!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Yes, more shade. You guys get HOT.

And once they are well rooted, you can let the curved ones dry out a bit -- this will make them more flexible. Then use some stakes and carefully bend them into a straighter positions.

You might wait to do this next season after you plunge the pots in the ground. Then put your stakes in the soil and use some bungee cords or soft rope to train them.

• loveplumies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again! Anyone knows what type of fertilizer I should use? Something that's comes in a bottle like Lowes or Home Depot would be way. :)

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Try the Osmocote slow-release 14-14-14. It's easy to find, easy to use. There's also Medina Hasta-Gro, which is a liquid which has some seaweed in it. Also available at L or HD and easy to use.