Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

had to buy it.

Just got this one at Homedepot for $6.48. I got one from there last year for about the same price and it is doing well. My plant budget is in the red right now but I couldnt resist this one because of the triple tips. All the others I have ever seen at HD are single tips. The only bad part is they never have a tag to identify the type, but that kind of makes it fun.

{{gwi:1184953}}

Comments (50)

• plucrazy
    12 years ago

I just bought a three tip plumeria at home depot. I was driving by and spotted a pallet sitting out front. There was one plant with an inflo and I grabbed it. They were $20.
    It has bloomed on two tips and is a multi color flower. Looks much like one I already have. No name of course. Thats OK I got what I wanted.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

awesome!!

the only info i have on this one is it was grown by seville farms in texas.

When I bought one last year I just happened to be there when the vendor was there watering them and he said they are a "mixed bag" and could a couple different colors. Cant wait to see.

mike

• chuy415
    12 years ago

that's an awesome deal mksmth!! tell me which HD you bought it so i can go check it out! lol :)

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Congrats on a good find! I've never seen $6.48 for a plumeria at any HD I've been to over here!! Most of the time it's $15 for a 1-gallon.

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

I've neevr found them at an HD PERIOD! Man, I wish I could!!!
    Andrew

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

The only time i have ever seen one for sale here in VB, the price was 29.99 for a Noid...Yikes!!!

To find a Plumie for 6.98....im speechless!!!

You have alot of self control not to buy more...lol

Some of the most beautiful trees are the Noids...

Andrew...same here..ive never seen a Plumeria at Home Depot or Lowes...they dont even know what im talking about if i ask!!! LOL

Have a great day everyone...

Laura in VB

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Wow, what a great price! Just finding a plumeria alone here would be a nice treat. I would love to see them being sold more, but Im sure they would be going for 100s of dollars for relatively young plants. You would be surprised at how much money people around here would spend for a unusual looking annual.
    I think if I saw a plumeria for that price by me, I would have bought them out, lol!
    -Alex

• gardenscents
    12 years ago

Good size ones ready to bloom for $10 at our local nursery in Aiken. I already have more than I can handle because I've been growing them from seed. They didn't know anything about them so I should have bought them all up!

RuthAnne

Original Author
    12 years ago

I have never seen them at lowes here but HD is getting them every year. Last year they were about 5 dollars. There is one nursery here that carries them with ID and also blooming but they want $30-$40.

laura it was hard not to walk out with all of them. I may skip buying lunch one day and get another one instead.LOL.

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Uh oh, somebody got the bug :-) This is how the "trouble" begins !!

Original Author
    12 years ago

I think you are right sunseeker.

I went by another HD to see if they had any with multiple tips but they didnt have any at all. I guess I get to eat lunch instead. Hahaha

• nitsuj
    12 years ago

Where are you guys located that HD has plumeria??

Original Author
    12 years ago

Im in tulsa, Ok. They only get about a dozen or so rooted cuttings this time of year. They dont restock when they are gone.

12 years ago

Hello Everyone,,

Mksmth...MY family would be eating beans and weenies for a week!!! LOL...

Then they would have to ask why?

LMAO

SALE AT HD ON PLUMERIA!!!!

i have never seen prices like that...

Sunseeker is right....LOL You have the Plumeria bug...it never goes away!!!! Caution...it only gets worse!!! LOL..

Isn't that true everyone?

Have a great day everyone..

Laura in VB

I just did some work on my containers....ill post in a few hrs...see ya!!

Laura in VB

Original Author
    12 years ago

well looks like I cant eat for at least a week. LOL I went by the only nursery that carries named ones and they just so happened to have them 50% off. I got this one for $13.50. The best part is I have a name and flowers, woo hoo!!! The fragrance is wonderful

Jungle Jacks Premium White. I cant find much of any info online about this one.

{{gwi:1184954}}

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Wow, you really lucked out! I'll have to go to my local HD and see if they have such a thing as 50% off on JJ plumerias !!
    You won't find any info on the JJ Premium White, because JJ Premium White can be any of his named or un-named white varieties. If you're really really lucky, it could be a Scentsational! (From the look in the picture, it appears the flowers are large and a little floppy? Does it have a very strong scent?). I have close-up pictures of Scentsational if you want to compare.
    Congrats on another great find!

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Lucky you! I once got a $6.98 plumeria at HD that turned out to be an unrooted cutting that rotted. I've certainly never found any named varieties or even colors indicated on most; the plants usually look humdrum and most are grown by commercial San Antonio nurseries, I think.

Several of Austin's locally-owned garden centers have been going out of business and the few plumeria I've gotten have turned out to be as uninspiring as can be. Wish Jungle Jack's would trickle down here!

• labland
    12 years ago

I too bought a Jungle Jack's Premium White on sale this year, in May. It was one of last year's and was just coming back to life. It hasn't bloomed yet, so now I know that I won't know WHAT it really is, until it blooms, if then. I also found a Thumbelina as well. But it too was cheap so I figured why not? Jennifer

Original Author
    12 years ago

sunseeker

I got this one at a local nursery not HD, but still 50% off is awesome. after some research I think you are correct. I believe this one is a "scentsational" here is a close up of mine and when compared to the ones in the link below I have to say they are identical. It is very fragrant infact it only has 2 flowers open(one fell off overnight for some reason) and the smell filled my truck. it was one reason why I picked it. They also have some inca gold, thumbalina and a red that i cant remember the name. Im glad they dont take up much space when dormant. My greenhouse is getting pretty full, LOL.

mine
    {{gwi:1184955}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Jungle Jacks Open House-NEAT

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Looking at your close up picture, I agree, it looks like it is Scentsational! How lucky is that! I wish I had found such a great deal on a Scentsational (however I'm not complaining, I think it is worth the price I paid plus more, because it is such a fragrant beauty). Here is a picture of mine. I usually compare the buds color too (because some whites have different buds colors) and the buds color even match!
    {{gwi:1184956}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Jennifer, you may luck out too with your JJ Premium white. I am getting turned on to his Premium plants because it may turn out to be one of his beautiful named varieties. I have several that produced spectacular blooms, some turned out to be named varieties, some I'm still trying to find out, but even without a name some of them are just awesome. Like this one:
    {{gwi:1184957}}

• jandey1
    12 years ago

OMG! Sunseeker, if you ever decide to sell cuttings from that gold beauty, PLEASE let me know! I am a big ol' sucker for deep gold and orange, hence the Makaha Sunn obsession. Did you ever find one, btw?

Original Author
    12 years ago

put me on the list also I love that color. Maybe one of the NOID's i got will turn out that beautiful.

Thanks a ton for helping me ID that one sunseeker!

mike

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

You're welcome Mike! Always happy to help a fellow plumeria addict :-)
    Jen: I wasn't able to get a Makaha Sunn, but will keep on trying!
    I'm making note of both of you for when my gold orange color plant has enough branches for cutting!

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Okay, sunseeker, this is my thinking: by the time yours is big enough to cut, my MS will be as well and we can do a swap then. That is, IF either of us has the patience to wait that long!

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Your all making me sick!

I would give up eating for a month if HD or any nursery around me for that matter sold one in flower at 100 dollars, especially from JJ's!

Lucky you Mike, and yet another addiction if you are not careful. Watch out, you might start looking into jasmine and gardenia..lol I still have many here from a very thoughtful and old time member here! I think of that member overtime I look at them and say a thanks to myself in deep appreciation. I suppose I got an even better deal:-)

Great find buddy and congats on this! Thanks for the link to check this out. It was worth it.

I see a lot of familiar faces here and I want to say hello to all of you:-)

Mike:-)

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks mike.

I have to confess. I picked up an in bloom Jungle Jacks "Delightful" about and hour ago. thats it, no more, I swear.

at least this season, LOL.

mike

• esebastian
    12 years ago

I need some help! I just got a Plumeria cutting and planted it in Al's gritty mix. I am new to Plumerias and am trying to make this cutting root. Everywhere I read how to root Plumeria cuttings, they warn you about too much watering. My question is, how often do I water this cutting in order not to let it rot and or die from being too dry. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Esebastian, don't water it at all except at initial potting-up. When it makes several 4 to 6 inch leaves, then you know it has roots and can then be watered. Otherwise the water has no intake into the plant. It's storing plenty in its stem; they've been known to root just sitting on top of the ground or in a dry storage bucket or box under good warm and humid atmospheric conditions.

On the other hand there are just some cuttings that will not root ever, though that's rare, and the water just rots them. Patience is the key. A clear plastic pot for rooting is great so you know for sure you have roots.

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Mike, another JJ plant? Hope this one is 50% off too, so you have to skip only half of a lunch! You're slipping deeper into the addiction!
    Congrats, Delightful is very pretty!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Sun, it sure was 50% off. I also wanted to get an inca gold but the one they had left was shape really bad and didnt appear to be rooted well. I love this addiction!

mike

• esebastian
    12 years ago

Jandey,
    Thanks so much for the info. I will follow your suggestion and wait until I see some leaves before I water again. This is exciting! Thanks again.

e

12 years ago

Esebastian,

Welcome !!!

Be warned....you cant have just one....LOL

Laura in VB

I would serve my family just beans...for prices like that!!! LMAO!!!

• esebastian
    12 years ago

Laura,
    Thanks for the warning! I know you are absolutely right. The funny thing is that I have been doing bonsai trees and other plants for a long time and never knew about Plumerias until I read about them on GW. I just ordered one to see how it fares. I am very glad that there are lot of you experts here that I can learn from. I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions in the coming weeks. Thanks again for the warning. I know it is hard to be happy with just one when there are so many pretty varieties and colors.

• esebastian
    12 years ago

Loveplants2,
    My above message was intended for you and I addressed Laura in VB by mistake. Thanks for welcoming me and the warning!
    e

12 years ago

Hello Esebastian,

You can address me as Laura, Laura in VB or just L!!!!

Some other forums like the full name spelled out!!! LOL!!

so here it is....Laura in Virginia Beach!!! LMAO!

You are most welcomed...

The people here are wonderful, always ask whatever you are thinking, someone is also thinking and wondering the same thing. We all started the same way!!!

Take care...

• esebastian
    12 years ago

Laura,
    Thank you so much! It sounds like a very nice bunch of people and of course very knowledgeable too. I am so glad I came across this thread. I hope to learn a lot from you guys. By the way how many plumerias do you own and what is a good place to buy from. I have not seen them in HD or Lowe's or any nurseries around here. I got mine on Ebay from a place in Texas I believe, but was wondering if there is a place that sell hybrid and high quality plumerias that you or anyone else can recommend. Thanks again for your nice words.
    Emmanuel

• isobea
    12 years ago

Hi everybody,
    For everyone who finds Jungle Jacks plants with no tag or the 'premium ...' tag: look at the trunk of that plant. Very often John writes his code name (letters and/or numbers) on the trunk using a black pen. I just bought a plant like that at his open house last Saturday. He was able to tell me that it is 'Mona Lisa'. You can always contact him and he will look up the correct name.
    Welcome Emmanuel! And yes, everyone is right, it's a wonderful addiction!
    Have a great Sunday guys!
    Iso

• isobea
    12 years ago

Sunseeker,
    I forgot to ask: when your plant gets big enough, can I please, please have a cutting, too????
    Maybe by then I will have something worth trading...
    Iso

12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Emmanuel,

We all have many places that we find our "Stash" for our addiction...LOL!!!

I like... Jungle Jacks Nursery in Orange County CA
    Florida COlors..they are wonderful people as well as JJ's
    Maui Plumeria Gardens..

Please...any others please pipe in!!!

Be careful of .."The Plumeria Gallery.." I dont know if they are still in business, but alot of people have had problems, as have I!!!!

I have about 40+ trees...i know its bad..lol, but others have more... : )

Jen gave u some great advise on watering, remember, to leave the cutting alone. We often want to mess with the cutting before its ready. They definately take their time to root. ANywhere from 6-8 weeks, so the best advice we can give you is to be very patient!!!

Mist, if u feel like it needs some moisture every 10 days or so, and then if u feel like it really needs just a little water, use just the rim method. Run a line of water along the outer edge of the rim, keeping the water away from the cutting to prevent rot!

Hi ISO!!!

SUnseeker...sounds like you need to make that tree grow really fast...its a beauty!!! Lets have a cutting party!!!

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• esebastian
    12 years ago

Thank you Laura and Iso for your advice and great information!
    You are right in that it is hard to be happy with just one or two when you see all the beautiful pictures and varieties. I will definitely check those vendors. Everyone have a great Sunday!
    e

• newgen
    12 years ago

What's NOIDS?
    Thanks,

Original Author
    12 years ago

NOID= no identification, a mystery type

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

LOL Iso, OK! I'll have to search for a super growth hormone to make my plant grow faster :-) If you see it this week though, you may not want it as much :-) Here is what the flower looks like today (the weather has cooled down some, in the evening). Still pretty but not as orange as a week ago!

{{gwi:1184958}}

• isobea
    12 years ago

Good morning sunseeker, Same thing happened with my Sparkle: the new flower that opened up yesterday is just creamy yellow, all traces of red/orange are gone. But the fragrance is still strong, and the potential for those beautiful colors in Sparkle and your NOID is there. So as soon as it gets warmer in Aug./Sept. we should be in heaven.
    Btw, I would galdly pay for the growth hormones for that plant...
    Have a great weekend! I'll be free as a bird: my husband is going to the motorcycle race in Monterrey and my son up to Mammoth to go downhill mountain biking with some college buddies... So I've got till Monday night to go plant shopping... Would you like to hold onto my credit card until then?
    Take care,
    Iso

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

Oh no!!! That spells disaster for your wallet! Do I hear a visit again to Jungle Jacks in the next few days? :-)
    You are so much closer to JJ I don't know how you resist. I'm a little further away, but still not far enough so my wallet tells me :-)
    Do you have a few nurseries in mind already?
    It's still very hot in my yard all the day, just the evenings are cooler, but it's amazing how that can affect the coloring on the flowers, as the plants still get tons of heat during the day.

• esebastian
    12 years ago

Hi everyone. My plumeria finally developed some leaves and are about 3 inches long now. When they came out first, they were very shiny but now they look dull with no luster. Is this normal? I watered once with a sprayer after almost 4 weeks per your suggestion. I am not sure what they are supposed to look like but they don't look as waxy as they did when they were only one inch long. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
    e

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Esebastian, the new leaves always start out shinier and more colorful. That's normal. Very few varieties have mature leaves that are shiny or with red edging or spines.

• esebastian
    12 years ago

Thank you Jandey! It is good to know that this is normal. I will post some pictures if my Plumeria flowers this summer. Although, I doubt I'll get flowers the first year from what I've been reading on these forums, but one can always hope.

Thanks again
    Emmanuel

• esebastian
    12 years ago

My two plumerias are just sitting there in the window and not doing anything during winter. They have a few leaves. Am I supposed to do anything special during winter or just let them be. Any help is greatly appreciated!

e