Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathyr89

rooted cuttings

kathyr89
11 years ago

I have 3 plumeria I have successfully rooted. I was told they may not bloom until the 3rd year. I winter them over in my basement, they do go dormant. This year (year 3) in Feb. I brought them up, repotted, so I know they still have healthy roots. I put them in a good spot in bay window, just enough light & on warming pads used to start seedlings. I figured if summer started early enough for them, I'd get some flowers. I moved them outside when temps stayed in 60s at night. STILL no flowers. Lots of healthy looking leaves. I am at a loss. Help....

Comments (18)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Congrats on successfully rooting them!
    The healthy leaves sounds like things are going well.
    Are they in full sun?
    What kind of fertilizer do you use?
    Is the potting mix a fast draining one and do you let the soil dry out before watering again?
    I've started using a modified gritty mix with screened pine bark fines, perlite and Turface with Dynamite slow release fertilizer. I've also started foliar feeding with Spray-N-
    Grow alternated with liquid seaweed with a small amount of Dyna-Gro Grow fertilizer.

Good luck!

-Robert

• kasiec
    11 years ago

Hi Kathy - cuttings can bloom in the first year. Perhaps your cuttings are the cut-ends from seedlings? That's why you were told to wait 3 years? Seedlings are grown to use as rootstock to graft a certain cultivar to.

Kasie

• kathyr89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. I have them in pots with good drainage holes with out trays (was told that was best) of course had to wait til they were outside for that. Quick draining mix with perlite, partial sun. I let the soil drain/dry well between waterings. I was told they could bloom 1st year but could take up to 3. The cuttings had the root eyes on the ends when I got them. I've been using a liquid fertilizer I got from the seller of the plants, sorry not near it to tell what type. Put a few drops in water in a spray bottle and spray the same time I water. I have not fertilized the soil, maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Kathy, sounds like you're doing all the right things. I have had to wait three summers and longer for many of my rooted cuttings to flower. I'm still waiting on one from 2005! The few that have flowered for me in the first summer were those from mature trees where the branch would have flowered anyway before being cut off.

I'd say being in NJ just give them as much sunlight as possible and keep them fed. You may get a surprise late summer inflo or you may have to wait until yours gets some more size to bloom.

A healthy plumeria should bloom when it's mature enough to do so. These plants will vary a lot in how frequently they bloom. Varieties that are known "reliable bloomers" like Penang Peach and Divine may be the best choice for your situation.

• kathyr89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for the pic quality (iphone) but they look healthy right? Just want blooms soooooo bad. I just ordered 3 more from BBB. Hope to have flowers at some point. Thanks to all, looks like I just need a little more patience or move to a tropical climate.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Kathy, you're doing great! I'd say those tips may need to mature some before they bloom. If they start looking a bit fat at the very tip that's sometimes an indication that it's preparing a flower stalk (inflo).

Funny, we all like multi-tip cuttings because they'll make the prettiest tree forms when they grow up, but often the rooted cuttings that bloom earliest are fat single tips.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow they look fantastic! You're doing awesome! Wish I could do that... maybe some day soon! I hope yours will bloom for you this summer. :)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

They look great. Still a bit young and thin for flowers IMO. Keep to your routine and I bet next year will be yours.

• kathyr89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, I felt like I was doing all the right things. I am looking into foliar fertilizing.

I really like all the help from this forum, this all started from a Philly flower show purchase 3yrs ago, now I too am addicted.

Post all your flower pics, so I can live vicariously thru your blooms.....LOL

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum Kathy!

I too bring my plants in during the winter.
    A veteran cold-climate plumeria grower who lives near me recommended not putting them in a dark basement, rather leaving them in bright indirect light all winter, which helps them wake up faster. This, of course, is less convenient than storing them out of the way in a basement!

Best of luck to you! Your trees look very nice!

Rachel

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I don't know if you all remember that I picked up 4 cuttings from Upland Nursery at the Spring Flower Show in OC back in April. I rooted them but didn't say anything hoping they would take.

Two months later I am sad to report 3 rotted and one is in intensity care w/ a friend. Janara, Love and Zee did not make it. The faith of Guillots Sunset is up in the air.

I waited one week for the cuttings to dry out. Then I soaked them in water mixed w/ Vit B and Superthrive for an hour. Then dipped in Rootone and potted in Cactus soil mixed w/ Perlite (50/50). Then I gave it a soaking w/ the Vit B and Superthrive and there they sat on my counter on the heating pad all this time. I only mist it 2x total.

So I'm not sure what I did wrong. I think I'm just better off getting rooted plants and call it a day. :(

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I don't know if you all remember that I picked up 4 cuttings from Upland Nursery at the Spring Flower Show in OC back in April. I rooted them but didn't say anything hoping they would take.

Two months later I am sad to report 3 rotted and one is in intensity care w/ a friend. Janara, Love and Zee did not make it. The faith of Guillots Sunset is up in the air.

I waited one week for the cuttings to dry out. Then I soaked them in water mixed w/ Vit B and Superthrive for an hour. Then dipped in Rootone and potted in Cactus soil mixed w/ Perlite (50/50). Then I gave it a soaking w/ the Vit B and Superthrive and there they sat on my counter on the heating pad all this time. I only mist it 2x total.

So I'm not sure what I did wrong. I think I'm just better off getting rooted plants and call it a day. :(

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

No-Clue, have you ever seen the instructions provided in Plumeria 101? It's worth a try. The link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria 101

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Thank you Jperilloux! I will definitely take a look and maybe I will keep practicing. But for now I am very happy w/ my Plumeria family. I have a lot too keep me smiling! :)

• kathyr89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I will have my very first flowers soon. Inflo pic from last weekend is Kauka Wilder. Trees are outside now the weather is hot here in NJ. What was that word you all made up for the excruciating period of time from when you 1st see inflo until blooms?

• pcput
    10 years ago

Congrats, Kathy89! And now the addiction will get real serious!
    :) Peg

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

That would be Jen's word.... Ohcomeonalready!

Congratulations!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

great job I would say you have about 3-4 weeks before it starts to give you a show. The work you did last year is paying off.

All you are doing this summer is creating next year's blooms

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor