Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when they get big

Posted by irun5k St. Pete, FL (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 14:50

This is a shot I thought some of you might enjoy- a large pink growing in my neighbor's back yard. It is clearing the second story of their house. No, this is not Hawaii.... this is a zone 9b! This beast shows me why the serious collectors are always shuffling inventory in and out!

I actually have a genetically similar tree growing in my yard. I planted it as a landscape specimen and the space can accommodate it (eventually it will cover my entire deck and first story of my house.) I assume that both are at least relatives of the Miami Rose.

I am having second thoughts on mine though. The tree is a profuse grower, and many times only branches in two directions. As a result the tree becomes very sparse. I have seen potted plumeria with more inflos than the mammoth below. On the upshot, the inflos are also mammoth and put out for 2-3 months. Still, there would be little comparison between the structure of a compact rubra or a singapore obtusa and this type of tree @ 15 feet in height.

Well, I can blame all this on being a beginner. At least mine isn't anywhere near as large as the one below (yet!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when they get big

Hello Everyone....

Irun5k,

What a beautiful tree!!! That is the largest Plumeria that i have seen here on the East Coast!!!

If i could only grow them here in the ground....

Quite Beautiful....thanks for sharing!!!

Take care....

Laura in VB

o

• Posted by labland Inland Valley CA9 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 22:38

That is one fantastic tree! Once again, I think humidity has to help!

o

Wow it's a nice tree! Even without a lot of flowers, the leaves are very lush and the look is so tropical!

o

My Miami Rose is a monster. I think it grows at least 2 to 3 feet before blooming. Can't maintain it here in a pot for very long.

o

Hi Dave & everyone,

Monster is a good way to put it. I suspect it is a hardy cultivar as well. Even in a microclimate inside a 9B, sometimes we have a frost but my neighbor's doesn't seem to mind and mine hasn't been affected either.

If a tip goes one or more years w/o blooming you're definitely looking at some really long branches. I've tried to decide whether I should force branching on mine by cutting it back but it seems like eventually the tree will win no matter what!

o

Beautiful tree! I cant believe thats in a zone 9b! It really does look like something you would see in Hawaii!

I wouldnt worry about your plumeria and I wouldnt prune it back until it becomes a problem. I think its good to prune plumerias every once in a while, especially in Florida because a bad hurricane (or even a gusty afternoon thunderstorm) could do a number on plumeria branches.

Good luck! It looks like your plant has a good future ahead of it judging by your neighbor's tree!
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here