Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Curse of the 1 gallon pot

honeybunny2 Fox
10 years ago

At the PSA sale, I purchased plants in 1 gallon size pots. Everytime I go outside the 5 tallest plants have have fallen over. They need to be in bigger pots. This last time I noticed that two of the plants have a crack in one of their tips, not broken, just cracked. I noticed because I saw a drop of latex. I now have the plants held down by bricks. Will these plants be ok, or will I loose the tip that is cracked. This happened yesterday morning, and so far they seem to be ok. The leaves look fine. I am just worried, is there anything I need to do to improve my chances of keeping these tips. The rooting cutting, looks much better than it did when I bought it. I was checking out when German walked this cutting to me, he went thru so much trouble, so I bought it. It was soft, but I felt that I should buy it, I really wanted a rooted plant, but it was not meant to be. Barbra

Comments (16)

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

Have you tried double-potting them into either heavier ceramic pots or bigger plastic pots with some sort of weight at the bottom (rocks, etc)? I do this with a lot of my pots, and fill the space between them with mulch. In addition to helping with the wind, it keeps the black nursery pots cooler in the sun. It might be easier than using bricks?

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Barbra, Why don't you just repot it in a bigger pot now. I do it all the time and it has never been a problem.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are going to the coast on 7-30th, I will be planting them in the ground then. My husband went to the coast without me, to install a drip irrigation system for my plumeria . I wanted to stay so I can see the sonogram of my first grandchild on Saturday. Barbra

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

hey Barbra. Sorry about yours falling over. I bet the crack will heal just fine.

a couple of thing I do with my smaller ones that tip easy is either push a stake into the ground outside the pot and tie them together or I have even taken a stake and pushed it through pot out of a drain hole and into the ground. The ones on my bench usually get tied down with string. You could arrange them close together and put a string around them all.

I hate our winds here. last night storm knocked all mine down. Thankfully none got damaged.

Mike

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are going to the coast on 7-30th, I will be planting them in the ground then. My husband went to the coast without me, to install a drip irrigation system for my plumeria . I wanted to stay so I can see the sonogram of my first grandchild on Saturday. Barbra

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Hi Barbra,

I'm sorry to hear that. I sure hope she recovers! To be honest mine fall over all the time too. Last night Queen Amber fell over! It's so shocking to go out side and find her side way! I really should repot all the one gallons but some of them are blooming so I really should wait huh?

How exciting about seeing your grand baby! Do you know what you're having? :) Congrats again!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barbara the reason I did not pot in larger pots is because all my soil and pots are in Rockport, 177 miles from my house. I wish I would have thought about this last week. I think the bricks are going to work, I wish I would have used them sooner. I hope I don't loose the tips.Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn, I was told it was a girl, but my son still thinks it going to be a boy! Saturday, we will find out for sure. Barbra

• pcput
    10 years ago

Barbra, I set my top heavy pots into a larger pot to. Had to do it with a 5'er last fall/winter until I could repot it in spring.

I also received a cutting with a cracked tip. It's open about half way through but doesn't seem to be slowing it up one bit. It is nicely callused in the opening now and some time in the future I may try and air layer it right on the branch. I believe it will sprout roots pretty easy and then I can cut it off. That tip is small now but I'll wait for it to grow and get bigger before trying to root it.

How exciting to see the sonogram of your first grandchild. There's nothing like it :)
    Peg

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Barbra, that's so exciting about your grandbaby! I hope all is well!

Your cracked tip should heal just fine during this rapid growth season. I put most of my pots into heavy ceramic pots, and all my pots have heavy rocks on them because of constant squirrel digging.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Curses!

Congrats on the baby!
    Tally HO!

• uglyhair
    10 years ago

Old school wood clothes line clips....i use them on all my small pots (and tennis ball cans) because my plants/cuttings are densely pack together. Cheap way to prevent tip overs.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Uglyhair,

That's a great idea! But what are those clear pots? I need to get some of those! Thanks!

• uglyhair
    10 years ago

Empty tennis balls cans.......free and readily available at any local tennis courts near you!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Uglyhair, those are some great looking cuttings. You are going to have a plumeria forest. Great use for clothes pins. I discovered that if I put my water bottle cuttings, inside a clear glass, it supports the cutting, plus they root faster, with more roots than just the water bottle. Barbra

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Barbra!!

First of all.. Congratulations!!!! I became a new " grandma " last year and I'm loving it!! I don't blame you for staying behind. ;-)

I would do as Mike suggested. I tie my containers to the deck with twine and or the fence. What ever you can manage to temporarily keep them secure. You will be leaving soon so I understand. Your dilemma ... You could also use those stack crates that are available at Target, but tying them is what I like to do. . If the ones I have are not able to have something to tie them to, I use rebar . Works great and I build muscles at the same time ! ;-)

I think your tip will be fine especially if it didn't break all the way through. You could take floral tape and wrap it around the cut part and let the latex seal itself together. Kind of like a graft

They will be fine. They get so top
    Heavy in the little containers. They will love being planted in the ground. Lucky trees!!

Let us know how they do and how you secure them. Don't worry if i it isnt pretty. This is a temporary fix.

Talked to J. What a pleasant gentleman!!

Take care,

Laura