Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivysmom_gw

Companion: POB?

ivysmom
11 years ago

So I'm starting to think about creating a landscaped space for my plumerias, including companion plants. I was wondering if a Pride of Barbados would do well in the same soil/area? I know it is regarded for xeriscaping, so might want even LESS water than my plumeria (even the cuttings) but I figured put in some VERY well-drained soil (like, gravel, good organic soil and perlite) in a raised bed with segments, that I could either plant or plunge the established plants and cuttings once they get rooted nearby, and treat them similarly (as in: here's the sun and a bit of water... go do your thing!)

I thought about esperanza and hibiscus, but I think they want MUCH more water than the plumeria do, so they'd need different soil to live in.

Thoughts? I'm going for a "tropical" biosphere, by looks.

Comments (5)

• irun5k
    11 years ago

In one bed I have an 8' hibiscus right next to an even larger Plumeria, and on the other end I have a bougainvillea, Ti plants, and shell ginger. They used to get water from a single rainbird head but I was able to easily convert it to drip irrigation which allows me to give everything varying degrees of water. The plumeria and bougainvillea don't receive any supplementary water.

I have found I have much better luck going with plants like this that have good root systems. They are much more tolerant and able to handle different conditions.

OTOH annuals and tender perennials have been nothing but trouble for me as they seem to have very shallow roots and that layer of soil dries out in the FL heat in what seems to be minutes. I do not think those would be good companions unless it is something that requires less water, such as lantana.

I think you ought to be fine with a POB too, their color is pretty striking.

Good luck!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I think Jandy swears by hers. Matter of fact its come up in dicussions we had about texas plants. Only thing I can add would be to position them so they don't compete for sunlight.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Ivy, yes, I think you've hit upon a great companion plant for plumeria! I do swear by my POB. Mine would probably do better if I watered it more than once a month, which you'd have to with a plumie planted nearby. Maybe next year I'll armor up an expendable plumeria and put it next to the POB out front (where the deer roam) and see what happens, lol.

The POB grows pretty low for me and throws a nice light shade on the ground so that might work perfectly under a taller plumie canopy. Esperanza may be too aggressive and tall-growing, and the hibiscus would definitely need too much water. Sounds like you've got a good plan.

Jen

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

For more sun areas aslo consider Russian Sage, Plumbago, Powis Castle Artemesia, Lavender, Vinca, Blackfoot Daisy, and new gold Lantana for your companion perennials. Some native grasses also look great like Gulf Muhly Grass or Lindheimers Muhly Grass (evergreen version). Certain fountain grasses and knock out roses also look good too. All of them can handle to full sun and heat once established.

In the part shade of a Plumeria I like Hibiscus, Dwarf Yaupon, dwarf Pittosporum, Sedum, Abelia, Liriope (evergreen or verigated) and Canna Plants

• beachplant
    11 years ago

POB for me is HUGE, I have 4 types and they are all HUGE. It is a very sturdy plant, I never, never, never water mine or fertilize it (I'm afraid to!), it survived hurricane Ike and 4' of salt water for 24 hours, the worst freeze on record, being chopped at when it grows in the walkway and just plain abuse. However, it grows fast and no matter how much I whack at it it remains 8+ feet tall, I think cutting it makes it grow faster in the summer.

I have pretty much everything mixed together, as long as you have fast draining soil it is not a problem mixing them. Our "soil" is just sand so drainage is not a problem here, you can have a bog plant next to a cactus, like the beach water goes straight down.
    Tally HO!