Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
intothebluefl

ID help - HUGE Hawaiian pink

intotheblueFL
10 years ago

On our last trip home, we were lucky enough to get a few cuttings from a mystery tree in Lanikai on Oahu which produces the largest pink blooms that I've ever seen. Any suggestions of what this might be are very welcome..

The largest blossoms are at least 4" in diameter. I'm 6'1" with decent sized hands and these would take up almost my whole palm..

Comments (4)

• rox146
    10 years ago

what is the fragrance like?

• intotheblueFL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not very heavy, unfortunately. A very light, traditional plumeria smell.

The growth is also extremely vigorous with huge amounts of internodal spacing. Very soft, fleshy stems.

It almost.. almost.. looks like a Dean Conklin which would make sense since KoKo Crater is right there on the island.. but the edges don't fold They're perfectly formed with very taught petals.

This post was edited by intotheblueFL on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 15:41

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

I wonder if it's one of the Moragne hybrids?

There were heavily influenced by Daisy Wilcox, itself a very large-flowered plumeria.

• intotheblueFL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting. It very well could be.

The tree itself was huge.. about 20' tall and 25' wide. It was definitely intentionally planted on a very nice piece of property right in the front corner of the house. I would estimate the tree to be at least 30-40 years old.

Note.. the second pic is with the stiff wind blowing direct onshore. I had a hard time getting the petals straight out without blowing. A good representation of size is the first picture.

"Among the plumerias in MoragneâÂÂs garden near Lihue, Kauai, was the cutting of a chance seedling originally collected from Lawaii Kai on the southern side of Kauai by plumeria enthusiast Alexander McBryde. The cutting was planted there when the plantation was still being managed by a couple named Ralph and Daisy Wilcox. Daisy Wilcox demurred at the suggestion that the flower be named for her, and Moragne-whether bowing to her wishes or simply because he preferred place names, called it 'Grove FarmâÂÂ. Nevertheless, the name âÂÂDaisy Wilcoxâ stuck among plumeria growers on the island, and âÂÂDaisy Wilcoxâ it became officially when plumerias began to be registered many years later. âÂÂDaisy WilcoxâÂÂ, a large, white-flowered plumeria with a pink stripe on the underside of the petals, bears little resemblance to a plumeria now registered as âÂÂGrove FarmâÂÂ, a grainy pink one also found on Kauai. The large flower and tree size of most of the named selections, coupled with a letter written by Moragne in 1973, leave no doubt that the âÂÂGrove Farmâ plant he used was the large-flowered one."

In fact, after reading the description of the Grove Farm and then finding a few pictures of it.. I can see characteristics of both in the mystery bloom..

Grove Farm:

Daisy Wilcox:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/503/daisyw062webek4.jpg

{{gwi:1152549}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Moragne link found here

This post was edited by intotheblueFL on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 14:43

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022