Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too much sun?

Posted by cwcervantes 9A (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 14:58

Hello everyone! Does this look like too much sun? I don't see any pests on either plant. They get watered frequently. No leaf drop, just sickly looking leaves. These plants are getting 6+ hours of full sun with temps 90+.

Japanese Lantern:

Untitled

NOID:

Untitled

Untitled

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too much sun?

Just a guess, it looks like you have succulents growing in the same pot. That may be causing the issue.

o

Hello cwcervantes,

I would add epsom salts to the Jap. Lantern, that can help to green up your leaves, I believe you can use Epsom salts or Sul po mag. The others look like they are being snacked on, maybe try spinosad? Others can get you more info on what to do.

Good luck!
Wendy

o

yes, i definitely have succulents growing in that pot. actually there are succulents in ALL my plumeria pots! i thought that was ok?? here's one:

Untitled

it's a plumeria, a jade, and a Tylecodon paniculatus (I am guessing)....
should i remove the succulents?

o

I have never heard of plumeria not being able to be grown with other succulents. I actually would think that they would work well together since they really do have similiar requirements in terms of there love of heat, and free drainging soils.

The only issue i can think of off the top iof my head is that they could compete for soil space and water. IF the suculent is taking water and nutrition from the plumeria, then you could have a potential problem.

I hope that helped you a little.

Andrew

o

The competition for water, nutrition and root space was what I was thinking of. That's a pretty good size Jade plant in that pot.

o

I was actually wondering how much they get watered - you said frequently - are they being allowed to dry out in between waterings? I'm actually thinking they may be getting too much. The yellowing can be indicative of that.

Also, as an aside, I am kind of the mad thrip battler and I do see evidence of thrips, which you may want to treat. The "scalloped" type of irregularity in a few of your leaves (primarily the one with the spots)is usually due to thrips.

o

I've been doing some research and I think the spotted plumeria didn't have too much sun or thrips, I think it has Frangipani Mosaic Virus!

o

Aaaahhh, the dreaded Frangipani Mosaic Virus, DOH! SO obvious! LOL!

o

Cw, you didn't spray the spotted one with insecticide, did you? The leaves look just like mine did after I tried an insecticide on them for whitefly. They spotted then fell off over the course of several weeks.

o

Nope, no spray at all or any systemic. Just water.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 10:47

A member over in the citrus forum was growing succulents in the same pot as her Lemon tree and having issues. Of course they both have different needs. But the first thought i had was to use 2 pots. Put the plumeria pot in the middle of a bigger pot and fill the space between with soil and plant the succulents or annuals in that space. This way both could be watered and fertilized separately. If you used silicon or some other sealant on the bottom of the middle pot you would have no transfer between the two.

Im sure Im not the first to come up with this idea but it sounds good to me

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here