Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cwcervantes

Too much sun?

cwcervantes
11 years ago

Hello everyone! Does this look like too much sun? I don't see any pests on either plant. They get watered frequently. No leaf drop, just sickly looking leaves. These plants are getting 6+ hours of full sun with temps 90+.

Japanese Lantern:

NOID:

Comments (11)

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Just a guess, it looks like you have succulents growing in the same pot. That may be causing the issue.

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Hello cwcervantes,

I would add epsom salts to the Jap. Lantern, that can help to green up your leaves, I believe you can use Epsom salts or Sul po mag. The others look like they are being snacked on, maybe try spinosad? Others can get you more info on what to do.

Good luck!
    Wendy

• cwcervantes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes, i definitely have succulents growing in that pot. actually there are succulents in ALL my plumeria pots! i thought that was ok?? here's one:

it's a plumeria, a jade, and a Tylecodon paniculatus (I am guessing)....
    should i remove the succulents?

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

I have never heard of plumeria not being able to be grown with other succulents. I actually would think that they would work well together since they really do have similiar requirements in terms of there love of heat, and free drainging soils.

The only issue i can think of off the top iof my head is that they could compete for soil space and water. IF the suculent is taking water and nutrition from the plumeria, then you could have a potential problem.

I hope that helped you a little.

Andrew

• DelWH
    11 years ago

The competition for water, nutrition and root space was what I was thinking of. That's a pretty good size Jade plant in that pot.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I was actually wondering how much they get watered - you said frequently - are they being allowed to dry out in between waterings? I'm actually thinking they may be getting too much. The yellowing can be indicative of that.

Also, as an aside, I am kind of the mad thrip battler and I do see evidence of thrips, which you may want to treat. The "scalloped" type of irregularity in a few of your leaves (primarily the one with the spots)is usually due to thrips.

• cwcervantes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've been doing some research and I think the spotted plumeria didn't have too much sun or thrips, I think it has Frangipani Mosaic Virus!

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Aaaahhh, the dreaded Frangipani Mosaic Virus, DOH! SO obvious! LOL!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Cw, you didn't spray the spotted one with insecticide, did you? The leaves look just like mine did after I tried an insecticide on them for whitefly. They spotted then fell off over the course of several weeks.

• cwcervantes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope, no spray at all or any systemic. Just water.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

A member over in the citrus forum was growing succulents in the same pot as her Lemon tree and having issues. Of course they both have different needs. But the first thought i had was to use 2 pots. Put the plumeria pot in the middle of a bigger pot and fill the space between with soil and plant the succulents or annuals in that space. This way both could be watered and fertilized separately. If you used silicon or some other sealant on the bottom of the middle pot you would have no transfer between the two.

Im sure Im not the first to come up with this idea but it sounds good to me

Mike

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County