Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Caught in the act!

No-Clue
11 years ago

So for days I couldn't figure what was eating my Plumeria leaves! But my poor little Devine has suffered the most damage!

{{gwi:1185229}}

{{gwi:1185230}}

{{gwi:1185232}}

{{gwi:1185234}}

That stinker!! I tossed him over the fence.

{{gwi:1185236}}

Seriously snails never bothered me... but now that I know what they are doing I have to figure out how to protect my Plumies! I don't want to kill them per se... so maybe just pick them and relocate them?? Will they come back though?

Comments (13)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Glad you figured it out. We get bad grasshoppers that do similiar damage. Wrap the pot with bare copper wire or tape. I understand that the slugs wont cross it.

Mike

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok Mike I will give that a go. Thanks!

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

haha, it ate your leaves and left you a little present.

i'd squash it, or feed it to the chickens, or birds if no chickens around.

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

put a tuna can with beer in it. they get drunk and drown. However, one time I had some drunk birds from eating the beered up snails, but the snails like beer.

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Gee Wizz, that's a lot of Plumie Salad!!!
    I'm sure with all that sap he's sure to end up with an upset tummy!
    I remember my grandmother putting beer in pie tins in and around her flowers and she had snails & slugs crawl into the beer and die. I'm sure some old Southern thing from the Farmers Almanac?
    I like the "hand-Tossed" method, over the fence!
    Good Luck!, Stuart

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Beer is my preferred method to get rid of snails.

• Kimo
    11 years ago

NC..
    MMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMM Oooh la la, lunch... A little garlic butter and voila your problem is gone..lol

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Houston - I don't know if I can squash it! What if his wife or children come looking for him?? I don't know... I don't know...

Bill - you want me to get the snails drunk? We don't drink so I don't even have any beer or wine around.

Tropic - for some reasons the snails prefer Divine! They only seem to go after that plant even though I have moved it all around the yard. So strange! I picked it up w/ my chopsticks and tossed over the fence into the bushes.

Freak - I don't know if these are the edible kind?? LOL... want me to send you some?

• kasiec
    11 years ago

It's amazing how high these guys will climb to get to the tender parts of plants. The best time to get after these critter is in the early morning and in the evening when you water. I walk around with gloved hand and a plastic grocery bag and fill it up. Then I tie the bag and toss(not over the fence) in the garbage can.

Kasie

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

That's a very cool looking snail! Too bad he couldn't find something more appropriate to munch on.

Something is eating whole leaves on my brugs. So far I haven't found the culprit so I'll go out with the flashlight tonight and look. It's probably a hornworm (maybe 2) so I'll toss him into the woods and hope he lives to mothhood. :)

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

snails have many baby snails and soon you have few leaves. I have no mercy for snails and grasshoppers. They invade my kingdom and they must go. transplanting will only get more later on. You should become ruthless on pests. These are very valuable plants and worth protecting. Bees and wasps are fine because they find thrips and other small pests, I leave them alone and they seem to know and leave me alone. good luck.

• Kimo
    11 years ago

NC,
    It is the edible type of snail aka Escargot. You need to let them purge for 2 days or so, some people feed them lettuce, cucumber, fennel, etc. You purge them as to get rid of snail bait in them or in your case Plumie leaves and inflos.
    After they purge you can cook them up and Bon Appetite. Voil Gourmet French cuisine. It ate your plumie so you can eat it..lol Snails are Nocturnal so you need to catch them at night or early morning.
    If you want to get rid of snails and slugs naturally, put out a saucer of Beer around your plants and the snails and slugs are drawn to the brew and drown in the beer.
    Cheers and good luck.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey No CLue,

I love Escargot too! With a little garlic bread..YUM!!

Sounds like a good appetizer for some of us!!!

Here is the one who is taking care of my slug problem. He stares at the tree stems and has his fill..

If i put out some beer... Im afraid that my "Prince" will get loaded and drown in the pool.. : (

Here he is... What a cutie!!

Good luck NC!!

{{gwi:10913}}

Take care,

Laura