Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caught in the act!

Posted by No-Clue So Cal Zone 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 15:11

So for days I couldn't figure what was eating my Plumeria leaves! But my poor little Devine has suffered the most damage!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That stinker!! I tossed him over the fence.

Photobucket

Seriously snails never bothered me... but now that I know what they are doing I have to figure out how to protect my Plumies! I don't want to kill them per se... so maybe just pick them and relocate them?? Will they come back though?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caught in the act!

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 15:15

Glad you figured it out. We get bad grasshoppers that do similiar damage. Wrap the pot with bare copper wire or tape. I understand that the slugs wont cross it.

Mike

o

Ok Mike I will give that a go. Thanks!

o

haha, it ate your leaves and left you a little present.

i'd squash it, or feed it to the chickens, or birds if no chickens around.

o

put a tuna can with beer in it. they get drunk and drown. However, one time I had some drunk birds from eating the beered up snails, but the snails like beer.

o

• Posted by Tropic_7 9 West Bradenton Flo (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 17:24

Gee Wizz, that's a lot of Plumie Salad!!!
I'm sure with all that sap he's sure to end up with an upset tummy!
I remember my grandmother putting beer in pie tins in and around her flowers and she had snails & slugs crawl into the beer and die. I'm sure some old Southern thing from the Farmers Almanac?
I like the "hand-Tossed" method, over the fence!
Good Luck!, Stuart

o

Beer is my preferred method to get rid of snails.

o

NC..
MMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMM Oooh la la, lunch... A little garlic butter and voila your problem is gone..lol

o

Houston - I don't know if I can squash it! What if his wife or children come looking for him?? I don't know... I don't know...

Bill - you want me to get the snails drunk? We don't drink so I don't even have any beer or wine around.

Tropic - for some reasons the snails prefer Divine! They only seem to go after that plant even though I have moved it all around the yard. So strange! I picked it up w/ my chopsticks and tossed over the fence into the bushes.

Freak - I don't know if these are the edible kind?? LOL... want me to send you some?

o

It's amazing how high these guys will climb to get to the tender parts of plants. The best time to get after these critter is in the early morning and in the evening when you water. I walk around with gloved hand and a plastic grocery bag and fill it up. Then I tie the bag and toss(not over the fence) in the garbage can.

Kasie

o

That's a very cool looking snail! Too bad he couldn't find something more appropriate to munch on.

Something is eating whole leaves on my brugs. So far I haven't found the culprit so I'll go out with the flashlight tonight and look. It's probably a hornworm (maybe 2) so I'll toss him into the woods and hope he lives to mothhood. :)

o

snails have many baby snails and soon you have few leaves. I have no mercy for snails and grasshoppers. They invade my kingdom and they must go. transplanting will only get more later on. You should become ruthless on pests. These are very valuable plants and worth protecting. Bees and wasps are fine because they find thrips and other small pests, I leave them alone and they seem to know and leave me alone. good luck.

o

NC,
It is the edible type of snail aka Escargot. You need to let them purge for 2 days or so, some people feed them lettuce, cucumber, fennel, etc. You purge them as to get rid of snail bait in them or in your case Plumie leaves and inflos.
After they purge you can cook them up and Bon Appetite. Voil Gourmet French cuisine. It ate your plumie so you can eat it..lol Snails are Nocturnal so you need to catch them at night or early morning.
If you want to get rid of snails and slugs naturally, put out a saucer of Beer around your plants and the snails and slugs are drawn to the brew and drown in the beer.
Cheers and good luck.

o

Hey No CLue,

I love Escargot too! With a little garlic bread..YUM!!

Sounds like a good appetizer for some of us!!!

Here is the one who is taking care of my slug problem. He stares at the tree stems and has his fill..

If i put out some beer... Im afraid that my "Prince" will get loaded and drown in the pool.. : (

Here he is... What a cutie!!

Good luck NC!!

Photobucket

Take care,

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here