Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnamarie1409

Plumerias arnt growing

donnamarie1409
10 years ago

Hi can anyone please help, I'm in the uk and these 2 plumerias are all I have left of 5. They have been growing 5 years and each year another dies!
These are my last 2 but they just don't seen to be growing! I put them out in may once the cold had calmed I have them in the sunniest spot so there getting around 7 hours of sunshine a day, ( this is the first year iv had them getting this much sun) I feed them 1x week with super bloom! If it rains to much I get them into the conservatory but its not been to bad this year!
I also have 5 more seedlings that iv been trying to grow since April and they still havnt emerged, I had a look beneath the surface and they have roots but just nothing emerging on top and it's been months! I didn't have this problem last time do not sure what I'm doing wrong! Iv had them in a greenhouse and in conservatory and nothing is working!

Help please I'm dying for some beautiful flowers, I'm assured I can get in the uk if I work at it lol!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

It very might be over fertilizing that is causing the roots to be burned. I would not use superbloom anymore. Consider (if you are not already) using a very fast draining soil mix. Perhaps if you were to amend your current soil with perlite to help drainage.

Its hard to say for sure but there also might be spider mites shredding that new growth. Good luck with it.

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I was told to only water and fertilize as much as plumeria have leaves... So little or no leaves means little to no fertilizer and water. As mine have been leafing out, they are watered weekly and fertilized every other week so far...

• DelWH
    10 years ago

Once a week with Superbloom is WAY too much. You need to repot these, the soil is probably almost toxic from the phosphate buildup.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

I agree. Looks like the mix is so wet and compact. Listen to the others. Great Advice

Good luck!

Laura

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

You've only got two babies left!!! you must be so sad. Hell I'm sad for you! I'm a noob at Plumies and I'd say give those remaining new some new excellent draining dirt and then try to forget about them. and to keep your mind off those babies, spend all your hours on this forum looking at all the pretty pictures and soaking up all the good advice. =)

• intotheblueFL
    10 years ago

Definitely looks like over watering on dense soil which has led to poor root systems and possibly root rot.

If it were me, I would re-pot.. but only after gently removing as much soil as possible from the roots. You most likely have a salt buildup on going on down there from the 5 years of giving too many nutrient solutions.

The the root ball isn't very big or is limited to just around the base of the stalk, I might even take it a step further and gently rinse the roots to free them of any additional salt buildup.

Replant in a 30/70 perlite/soil mix and feed NOTHING but water and only when dry. If the soil is soaking wet.. don't water!

Keep her warm and as brightly lit as possible..

This post was edited by intotheblueFL on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 18:16

• donnamarie1409
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks ever so much every one! I knew you'd have the answers!! Will I be ok to repot it even with us actually getting a hot couple of weeks in the uk ( yes honestly we're having a proper summer for once lol) I'll get this done tomorrow!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Donna, you can re-pot plumeria anytime. (I just re-potted one of mine yesterday in high 90's heat.) In the case of yours, I think the sooner the better! Good luck!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery