Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nativec

Yolanda Blooms...Yay!

nativec
11 years ago

Hello Everyone!

Wanted to share Yolanda. Love this one, kind of reminds me a bit of both Leona Hoke and Waimea. Has a lovely and strong rose fragrance. It proved hard capturing the real color which is a reddish orange with a gold/orange center thats velvety. That almost sounded like an icecream commercial LOL Have a great weekend everyone!

Nicole

Yolanda having just opened, a neon red/orange...

I love the center! You can smell these few flowers from across the yard!

Did I mention I love this one! LOL

Comments (18)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I love it too. And the fragrance sounds awesome as well. Congrats. Thank you for sharing.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Very pretty!
    Tally HO!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I agree it looks very like Leona and Waimea. I see it offered only by Fuzzy, and his looks more rainbow--can you tell us some more about it?

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

What a vibrant and showey flower- love it!! Enjoy it, fragrance sounds to die for.

Wendy

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

My Oh My, that does look like Waimea!
    I have no idea what Yolanda looks like?

Amazing blooms you have!
    Aloha, Stuart

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for such kind and encouraging words!

Jen- you piqued my interest so I emailed Fuzzy. He says he obtained Yolanda from a friend at the University of Hawai'i and that it was labelled only as Yolanda. It was suggested by his source that it was related to Waimea. How fascinating :)

Its a real beauty and while I normally prefer spicy or fruity smells I can say this is the best "rose" scented plumeria.

While most of us are familiar with Fuzzy ...for those who are not, I must say he is as wonderful as his plants. Oh boy here comes the plug...check out bloomingplumerias on eBay. :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Nicole,

What a beautiful color..

Congratulations on another Beauty!!!

I also find that interesting about what Fuzzy said..

Hope you are doing well. How is the JLM?

Please keep me posted..

Love your pics.. Simply lovely!!!

Laura

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

That is just beautiful! And with a rose fragrance it is very desirable. What is the average flower size?

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Nicole, thanks for letting us know what you found out. All this info adds to our collective plumeria wisdom!

Whew, hot red color, great shape AND a good rose fragrance. That is an unbeatable combo!

IIRC, there was a lady named Yolanda who collected plumies in either HI or CA and was beloved by many of the CA enthusiasts. I wonder if it was named for her?

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave- the flowers seem to run pretty consistently at 3". Really nice size.

Partner in crime...I mean Laura ...LOL my JLM is busy working away at getting leaves :) oh, something more to check out at BBB Muang Muang I think you will like it:). Yes I'm very good at enabling. It's a very unusual color. If it looks good in a little photo I can only imagine what it will be like in person. And yes I bought it...LOL. I am OOC(out of control) LOL

• slave2thefur
    11 years ago

It was named for the late, and greatly missed, Yolanda Garland from CA. The plumerian phrase 'Go bother something else' was her favorite.

Rocking bloom, thanks for posting. =^,,^=

• elucas101
    11 years ago

What gorgeous blooms!!! And "Go bother something else" has got to be my all time favorite bit of plumie advice, ever.

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you S2TF for giving us more information on this bloom. Its a beauty so I imagine it was named after a wonderful person :)

Thank you Emily! I hope your plumies are doing well :)

• Camelotshadow
    11 years ago

Really reminds me of Yolanda & was expecting the white.
    Funny I sent Yolanda cuttings from HI of a red oran ge
    she so prized she sent them to Luc for graft.

Funny it almsot seems they made there way back to HI.

Thinking of you Yolanda!!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

I have been waiting patiently for my Yolanda to bloom..

Hearing all of the wonderful stories and who she is named for, makes me feel proud to own her..

To Yolanda!!!

Laura

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hope everyone is doing well!!

I must say Yolanda becomes more beautiful by the day. As a tribute to the person it was named after I took flowers to all the girls at work today. You should have heard the gasps! We all look very nani(beautiful)showing off Yolanda in our hair. :)

-Nicole

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Nicole - can you post another pic? I, too, am waiting for an inflo on Yolanda.

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moonie- here are a couple. The inflo is a little bare now after I plucked a bunch to take to work :) You will love this bloom!! Everyone was amazed that it smelled like roses. Enjoy your Yolanda!

Take care!

Nicole