Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Traveling the world sniffing Plumerias!

Came across this cute article about a retired couple who grow Plumerias and travel the world to view and sniff them! Sounds pretty wonderful to me. :)

Thought I'd share it-

http://www.chron.com/life/article/Colorful-plumerias-are-tropical-treasure-3602337.php#photo-3012935

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorful plumerias are tropical treasure

Comments (9)

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Hey, cool article, thanks for sharing! That would be so neat to travel around just to see Plumeria! How in the world do 2 people care for and move 300 plants???? (Well, that is a lot less than the original 800!) Can you imagine?!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're welcome!
    Yea, I was shocked as well by the numbers. Here I was thinking I'd gone overboard with 9 trees! Laugh.

-Robert

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

At first I thought 300 was a lot but now I realized it's so doable. I mean I started in April and how I have over 40 plants! If it wasn't due to limited space I would be in the hundreds by now. So I guess in a way it's good that I don't have space.

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing Robert!! The Staffords are from Texas and are well known in the plumie world aka Plumeria Icons, they are equivalent to Bud Guillot, Emerson Willis, JL, Elizabeth Torton, etc.
    All the old time Texas plumie people know them.

Again Great article .....

Original Author
    11 years ago

No-Clue,

It's a good thing you're limited by space or you really would end up with hundreds! ;)

Freak4plumeria,

You're welcome. The Staffords really sound like interesting people. I'd love to meet them some day (and of course sniff their collection).

-Robert

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Robert, if you get hooked like the rest of us you should come down to Texas for their open-house events. They just had one a few weeks ago and this article was published to coincide with it, and to give the PSA sales some publicity.

I believe Joanr here went and had a great time. They're in the Houston area. I've met them a couple times now at the sales. Sweet couple.

• joanr
    11 years ago

The Staffords are two of the most likeable people and their knowledge of plumerias is amazing. I didn't get to hear alot of the info that was presented at the open house but Eulas and some of the other society members showed how to graft, how to care for your plumeria, etc. They know so much and I enjoy talking to them as I am always learning something new about plumerias - such as the hook at the end of the leaf on a penang peach. It may be just a little tidbit of info but always interesting.

Here is a link to their website which shows more pictures of their plants and garden. Their Jeannie Moragne is absolutely breathtaking and their Penang Peach is simply beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stafford Yard

Original Author
    11 years ago

Joan,

Thank you for the information and the link to the pics! I've seen others bury their pots into garden beds and I might just have to start trying this method. ;)

-Robert

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and Jen, thank you for the info and the part about 'if you get hooked' made me laugh.
    I'm already contemplating adding a Pink Pansy, Kimi Moragne or Duang Saree to my small but growing collection. ;)

-Robert

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor