Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudmamasd

JJ's Open House-A Few Photos

ProudMamaSD
11 years ago

Hey Everyone,

Quite a showing today! The door freebie is a Christina Cutting, excited to pot her up. I got there early and when I left by 11 there were people everywhere and poor John was BUSY! I found a few I would have happily taken with me, but really was there to enjoy the beauty so I resisted the temptations. I did however pick up two DR's, this is the much cheaper way to get yourself out of the door without spending $$$.

Sorry I didn't get the name of all that I snapped, but enjoy the beauty. I also added a few photos of the mystery tree I picked up from John a few months ago that is blooming and beautiful.

The entryway:

Greenhouse

Beauties

I really liked this one, it wasn't tagged

Now for my mystery that finally bloomed

First, the tree:

Blooms:

And

In the second pic of the flower the pink stripes on the backside of the flower are really coming through, just beautiful. It has a lovely frangipani scent and alternates between peachy and yellow colored.

Surely there will be many more pictures forthcoming, hopefully these will tide everyone over.

Wendy

Comments (27)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Oh Wendy,

How i wish that i was there... sigh!!

Looks lovely and i love all of your pics..

Please share more.

I just love CA!!

Laura

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Laura! I will share more. My DH just bought me a lap top, I've been working off a netbook up until now and it is a real pain in the rump to upload pics... I no longer have that problem, it was so easy posting these pictures! (that's also why I didn't walk out with new trees, lol, major guilt)

We wish you were here too! I really wanted to be there to meet Bill, but my little guy naps from 12:30-3'ish so it just wasn't in the cards this time. Maybe when you come visit I can meet you both?

• pcput
    11 years ago

Wendy, thanks for the tour. It will probably be the only way I'll get there. Everything looks wonderful and can just imagine the smell. Your plants are looking good and you'll be loaded in blooms in no time. Peg

• elucas101
    11 years ago

OH WOW!!!!! That looks like HEAVEN!!! To say the restraint you showed is impressive would be an understatement - my god how did you do it woman???!!! LOL! Thanks for sharing those pictures, very nice.

So the mystery tree looks very California Sunset, no?! LOVE!!!

By crazy chance I was fortunate enought to acquire my very first JJ's today, a Divine, 3ft tall 6 TIP!!! I'm understanding now why everyone is in love with their plants.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

That mystery is really nice. Have you shown John. Maybe he can ID it now that it bloomed.

Elucas. CA sunset has more rounded leaf tips. That ones are very pointy
    Divine is wonderful. Mine is blooming and smells wonderful

Mike

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Wendy,

Thank you for posting these! I too wish I could have the opportunity to go to that event, see the trees, meet everyone--how fun. And I LOVE the flower in the very top photo, the pinwheel-ish one. If by chance you ever happen to find out what John is calling that one, even if it's like a generic name, let me know please!

Your flowers are looking beautiful, Wendy! (I check out your pics even when I don't take the time to comment!) Well-done :-)

Emily, I bought a 6-tip Thumbalina last month that was, at most, 12 inches tall. It's insane.

Greg

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Emily- as crazy as it sounds I am very happy with my plumie family. That's not to say I don't look and tempt myself regularily (including today) but I've spent a lot since January and am happy.... for today. ;o)

Mike, I plan to email John as soon as things quiet down for him, an email from me is the last thing he needs right now.

Greg- thank you very much for the compliment, means a lot. I will include the pic of that pinwheel one when I send my email about the mystery tree I got from him... it sure is beautiful!!

I know others must have pictures, where are they everyone?? I wish I had taken more!

Here's the two DR's I picked up... one for the neat leaves, they are so cute I have a hard time choosing.

Goodnight everyone,
    Wendy

• nativec
    11 years ago

Great pictures Wendy! Thank you for posting. I banned myself from going because I know I would have walked out with armfuls of plumeria like I did last time. It sure would have been nice to meet everyone!

Your plants look great! The pinwheel one you posted reminds me of Solo Amor.

Happy growing!

Nicole

• isobea
    11 years ago

Hi guys, took a bunch of pictures yesterday, but have never posted any here. So this will be a trial run. If it works, I'll post more.
    Iso

• isobea
    11 years ago

Alright, I tried to attach two, but you can only see the second one I attached. How do I attach a bunch?
    By the way, I forgot to write down the names... Sorry.
    Iso

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Wendy, your unknown tree bloom is beautiful! Looks a bit like CA Sunset and the yellow contrast against the purple lantana is great.

Thanks for posting the photos. LOVE the second bloom pic with. Can you remember what it was?

• elucas101
    11 years ago

No, I know exactly what you mean Wendy! - I was just telling Jen the same thing about loving the plumies I have and trying not to just hoard them. I'm extremely happy and as content as, well as a plumie lover can be LOL! Their plants are just SO awesome! And we may never see a local JJ's plant for sale around here again, that was a really weird crazy score.

You have an outstanding plumie family going there. I'm still amazed at that one in your front yard, it's form is so perfect. And the DR's are great!

I would really be interested to know what the name of that pinwheel one is too, it's really really cool! (First bloom pic)

Greg, a 12 inch 6 tip Thumbalina?!! That IS insane!!

Iso - if you're using a photo sharing site like Photobucket or Flickr you can copy and paste multiple HTML codes in the body of your message, from what I understand you can't do that if you're using the direct uploader via GW. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Just a few photos from the Open House...

{{gwi:1185523}}

Love the plant but not for sale!

{{gwi:1185525}}

How adorable is Hurricane Sunrise? Such a compact plant! A must have in my opinion.

{{gwi:1185526}}

She's a beauty... but none to be had right now. Hopefully next year.

{{gwi:1185527}}

{{gwi:1185528}}

THIS particular JJ Mini Red is NOT for sale. Jon had the 1 or 2 gal for sale but no inflos so I passed for now. I wanted THIS plant but no such luck.

{{gwi:1185529}}

She's a beauty with nice a fragrance to boot! Definitely going on my Wishlist.

I came home with a 2 gal Penang Peach...still too young so probably won't flower until next year.

{{gwi:1185530}}

I came home with Wizard... couldn't resist her beauty or sweet fragrance.

{{gwi:1185531}}

{{gwi:1185532}}

{{gwi:1185533}}

I almost took Cherokee Geisha home for the second time, but she isn't blooming and Star of Siam is putting on a show. One sniff of her sweetness and I lost my will power.

{{gwi:1176457}}

{{gwi:1185534}}

{{gwi:1176456}}

That's all folks! :)

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

WOW! I love that mini red! Is it's growth habit as amazing as Divine's? Add that to next year's wish list... I like the Wizard a lot too.

Wendy- Could the third bloom pic you posted be Christina? I love the shape and flower on your Mystery Tree!
    Also, thanks for your email, glad you liked the website.

Did anyone see a California Sunset that was not for sale? John said he'd send it out to me this week... but the suspense is killing me. Thanks for sharing all the photos. I wish I could have been there. What a wonderful day it must have been...

Rachel

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

What beautiful Pictures! You are so lucky to be able to go there. We have nothing like that here on the East Coast :( Maybe Laura and Andrew and Peg and some other Easterners as well as my self should recruit more plumie addicts. We need to start our own society over here lol. What ya think??

Jackie

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I agree Jackie! If we were to recruit more addicts maybe some of our local plant shops would begin to carry plumeria and we could have our own immediate gratification that so many others on the forum does.

I've actually been calling around to all the shops and asking for plumeria. Even got my daughter and husband to make some calls to the same shops so they would think there is a growing interests and maybe next year........... well, maybe!

Great pics, everyone!
    I love that Hurricane Sunset! Nice looking plant!

A little feed and seed store in the next town over has had, on occasion, noid plumeria. Everyone that I have not ordered online came from there. All of them white, but at least 2 different whites, 2 different scents.

• pcput
    11 years ago

I agree with you Jackie. You would think we are warm enough to drum up some interest. I went to Atlanta GA for a wedding last July and thought I'd find some there. Most nursery didn't know what I was talking about and only found one tall celadine and a cutting they had rooted from it. The salesman that came over was an addict though and had a good talk with him. Laura said she was going to talk to a couple of stores here. Maybe someday !!! If I live that long :) Peg

• jandey1
    11 years ago

No-Clue, thanks for posting those pics! You got some great shots. Terrible the way they tease you with big plants that aren't available. Harumph! Just like at the PSA sale.

Interesting that the Mini-Red is actually pink. Thanks for doing the sniff test and reporting back, lol.

Jen

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Jen-They had tons of large plants in the greenhouses. You just had to look around. They just brought out the best blooming ones as samples. I usually look at flowers I like and then scrounge around in the greebhouses and look for that type with well developed branches and healthy leaves. To me that is more important than one that is flowering. You have a one tip with pretty flowers and a multi tipped one without flowers of the same type, the second is a better pick.
    Iso- so sorry I missed you. I look forward to seeing the N.S.D. and S.D. gang.
    Lynn- You are just very sick. You need plumieaholics A. Say, "Hi, my name is Lynn and I am a plumieaholic......"

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Hey Bill (waving at ya)...

Takes one to know one! LOL... I admit it... I got it BAD! Do you know I got the JL Metallica?

Now I'm on the hunt for a Wildfire. I figured where we live we have wildfires all the time... so it's only fitting that I own one! What say you to that logic my friend?

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No Clue, you got some great pics and even documented them as you went along, well done! I think the wildfire logic is spot on.

Rachel, I do think that pic is Christina, good call.

I emailed John, he thinks the pinwheel'ish flower is Tangerine Dream, but he isn't 100% sure. He believes that particular tree is still there and will let me know tomorrow. As for my mystery tree (thanks all for the compliments! I fell in love with the shape and I am so pleased to be rewarded with such lovely flowers!!)he needs more pics to identify, so I snapped a few more and will see what he says. Really it doesn't matter what it is, but it is always nice to know a little something about your trees. I know I got a great deal whatever it is!

It is 87* here today, HOT for us... the flowers are looking a little unhappy in all this heat.

• isobea
    11 years ago

Hi Bill,
    Sorry I missed you, too, but was car pooling and had to leave early. I planted the cutting of Puu Kahea you gifted me a year ago after the Coasta Mesa Spring Garden Show and it is now pushing its first inflo - can't wait... Thanks again!
    Elucas, thanks for answering my uploading question. You are right, I uploaded via GW and that allows only one picture at a time. Thought I'd try another one that I thought pretty unusual (again don't know the name). I believe the first one I posted was 'Elsie'.
    Take care everyone,
    Iso

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Great pics!!!
    Lonnie

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pics! I must say I am jealous but also glad I live too far away. I have to pay the house note lol!
    Enjoy all your beauties.
    Tally HO!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I asked Jon why JJ's Mini Red was pink and he said that's because it was in his green house all this time in the shade. So the color will change to red if it's out in the sun. The scent is quite beautiful as is so I can only imagine how much stronger it will get in the full sun.

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Did anyone who went to JJ's open house happen to buy or see a CS3?

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I don't remember seeing one... especially if there were no inflo or flowers then I might have missed it.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations