Lemon Drop- one of 25 inflos on one medium sized plant:

Kimi Moragnes - two of four equal sized inflos on one plant:

Penang Peach showing some color:

{{gwi:1185581}}

Comments (21)

• t0etager
    14 years ago

Hi Bill,
    Your plants love you and they know how to show it! Your green thumb is something to admire. Thanks for showing some photos of your garden they are great.
    Sean

• nativec
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! My plumies want to grow up to be just like yours!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Your plumies are always so pretty.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

Don't you just love it when they form huge inflos. This from my Miami Rose several years ago.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    14 years ago

The colors are all beautiful on all of the above pictures...the Lemon Drop has such a massive cluster of flowers (I have never seen such a lovely plant) Then comes the Peneng Peach...It reminds me of a Hawaiian sunset!!
    Dave...Your Miami Rose is absolutely GORGEOUS...I hope one day I will have a plant that will be as beautiful!!
    Congratulations on some fine beauties... Thanks for sharing!

Laura

• malibu_rose
    14 years ago

Bill, your plummies are so gorgeous & lush! What is your fertilizing schedule like?

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    14 years ago

I always love looking at your photos so keep posting.

Everytime I see Lemon Drop it makes me ohhh and ahhh. I only have 2 plumies and both are noids. One now has an info. Exciting! A few times I have started to order cuttings and I can never make my mind up. Think it's going to be Lemon Drop.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I give 15-5-15 plus calcium and magnesium every two weeks and in between give spray-n-grow plus maxi cal plus coco-wet and Bill's perfect fertilizer as a foliar spray. I fill a trash can with water and let sit several days and then mix in seaweed extract and superthrive for general watering.
    Moonie- The nice thing about Lemon Drop is that it is such a heavy bloomer. It is hard to see in this picture but every branch has an inflo forming and in a week it will be solid flowers. Bill

• malibu_rose
    14 years ago

Thanks for your quick response, Bill. Forgive me for my ignorance but where do you get calcium for your plants?
    What is maxi-cal and coco-wet? Is "Bill's perfect fertilizer" a concoction of your own personal mix? As you can see, I got a lot to learn about plummies!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    14 years ago

Bill - that is going to be absolutely gorgeous!

I have to once again repeat something I've said before. When I lived in Panama, we had a huge plumeria that sat outside my second story bedroom window. Unfortunately I didn't pay much attention to the tree itself... just the birds and iguanas that were perched on the branches. I can't even remember what color the blooms were. My mother said they were yellow.

And, may I ask about the inflos? My largest plumie does have an inflo. It appears that there would only be 5 flowers on it. Can more inflos appear at the same site? Or could it soon start putting on more buds on that same inflo? This plumie is a 5ft stick, no branches.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the water soluable fertilizer and Maxi Cal are both made by Growmore. Coco wet is a wetting solution that makes foliar sprays stick to the leaves and this with Bill's perfect are both sold by spray-n-grow. I recommend their small perfect blend kit @ $29 which has SNG+coco wet=bills perfect, enough for more than a year (2tbsp, 1tsp, 1tbsp. in warm water in a gallon spray bottle from HD) Maxi Cal I get from Orange County Farm Supply for $8.70 for 12 oz. (several years supply)

Here is a link that might be useful: spray-n-grow

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Moonie- The inflo will produce flowers repeatedly for several months. The first inflo can be a bit sparce or depending on the variety thick or thin. the plant will then branch around the inflo into 2-4 new branches which several should bloom next year and so on. Bill

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    14 years ago

Thanks Bill. I can't wait to see the blooms. For some reason I'm guessing that they are going to be white. Don't know why... maybe just because I wish they would be any color than white. LOL

• malibu_rose
    14 years ago

I feel you just gave me the keys to the kingdom, Bill! Thank you so much! Maybe my plummies will look half as good as yours if I follow your fertilizing program. I will order the special blend and go to the Orange County Farm Supply to get the Maxi-Cal. I looked up their website and that place is so neat. Thanks again!

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sorry. someone spammed in on imageshack and my pictures are now some stupid message. They are trying to correct the problem Bill

• pepiopi
    14 years ago

please tell me how you got your plumerias looking so good? how old are yours? what do you do? what do i do if i have no leaves but inflo? they were just planted about 2 months ago as cuttings.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pepiopi- I have been collecting plumerias for over a decade so my plants range from one year up to about 12. About 30 are in the ground and the rest in pots ranging from one gallon to 30 gallon. I think time is an important factor in getting good plants as after 4 years a plant really begins to grow many branches each year and flower more, Plenty of sun, a good feeding program, and a bit of luck factor in to good plants.
    Malibu rose- You can buy the growmore water soluable and the maxi cal at OCFS, Ask for the owner Chris Roy who is a great guy and a plumeria grower.
    E-mail me before you come down and I will give you some more info. Bill

• pepiopi
    14 years ago

hey, thanks for the advise. yours looks amazing, im jealous. i just dont know how to keep up with all the different chemicals there are to use. can you recommend just 1 chemical to use for there life time? i really cant do as much as you do. any advise? im in dallas texas by the way. the oldest plumeria i have is about 3 months old. what do you recommend for that young? some dont have leaves yet

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mist only. rooting plants are too sensitive for fertilizers and the roots are very brittle. When leaves are over 6" long, you can start a weak fertilizing program . I know a number of people who use Best 6-20-20 every 6 weeks. Some use growmore hawaiian bloom blend mixed 1 tblsp per gal. Both can usually be found if you phone around. Do not fertilize after September or even August in your zone. So you may want to skip fertilizing this year and start next year. Just let your cuttings root this year. they will go dormant when the weather turns cold and need to be protected from the cold. Bill

• karen_b_z9
    14 years ago

Beautiful!! Do you purchase the calcium & magnesium separately?? Do they come dry and you cultivate into soil??
    Thanks!!

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I get my calcium and mag included in my 25 lb bag of fertilizer that I buy bulk at a farm supply. It is a product made by growmore. I also buy extra calcium in liquid form called Maxi Cal which I foliar feed. You can get mag in epsoms salts and a friend pours old milk on his plants for calcium. Works for him. My fertilizer is water soluable so I use and old spray bottle hooked to my hose and put the powder in the plastic bottle plus some seaweed extract. Then I just spray away until the water goes clear. Not as good as an injector but works for me.

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County