Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cwcervantes

Plumeria stenopetala

cwcervantes
11 years ago

Anyone growing this plumeria species? I've only seen it sold from Florida Colors as a grafted plant.

Comments (10)

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Ive had mine for about 6yrs. It grows like a vine so you have to train it. There is a hybrid version ENGLE that FC sells that is crossed with Pudica and has more of a tree or pudica upright growth habit with the scent and flowering habit of Stenopetala. I am considering getting rid of Stenopetala and switching it out for Engle for its growth habit.

Here is a link that might be useful: engle

• cwcervantes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So the vining growth habit isn't attractive? Is your stenopetala grafted? if not, where did you get it?

i've been poking around the internet and i read somewhere that engle doesn't have as nice a fragrance as the stenopetala species.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Here's the info I have on Engel-

Engel Thai Kukiat Med-Tall 3" White Narrow Petals. Rootable. Cross between P. stenopetala and P. pudica and has the best characteristics of both.
    Great scent, and no rust. hybrid of Plumeria stenopetala raised by Dr. Kukiat Tanteerartam at his farm in Thailand. Kukiat and we agree that it is an
    improvement over its parent. It has thicker petals and leaves, but still has a sweet, strong fragrance.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

I have a friend in NY that got Engel recently from FC and she wasn't thrilled about the fragrance even where it was hot and humid. But it may have just been a poor first impression with a young plant. Who knows if it will become more fragrant with age...?

Brad also sells this by the way.

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

I saw F.C.'s stenopetala in person and I loved it! The growth habit reminded me of a weeping cherry tree. Fragrance was awesome! Carol said that they are experimenting growing it as a hanging basket. This is what I plan on doing with mine when I buy a few.

Andrew

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Stenopetalas veins are not that attractive and the root stock is thick and ugly. I have my vines trained onto a 6ft pole and the vies also rest on plumie trees so u see it winding in and out of the plumies. Its just a bit much to keep up with the vines supporting them adjusting them. Ive had my Stenopetala in the same 5 gal since I trans planted it 6yrs ago to help keep growth in check but it still a bit much. I have pruned her 2x so far.

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi James,
    The Stenopetalas at F.C. was grafted, about 6ft tall. Reminded me of an old weeping cherry. What attracted me to it was the rush of fragrance. I could smell those flowers before I even saw the tree.

I still want to give this a try. With it being grafted, I am hoping it will be much more maneagable.

Andrew

• PRO
    AgedPixel
    7 years ago

I realize this is a 4 year old thread but does anybody know where to buy seeds of the "Engel Plumeria" ?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi AgedPixel...

Check with Tex down at Florida Colors.. He might have some seeds from his Stenopetala / Engel . Or Brad from Brads Buds And Blooms.. ( he has Kukiats trees and seeds)

Laura

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor