Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwhite2947

Will there be a list of varieties available at the Ft. Bend sale?

jwhite2947
10 years ago

And if so where can I find it?

Thanks.

Joan

Comments (47)

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

The list will be posted on the PSA website a few days before the sale (www.theplumeriasociety.org)

George

• jwhite2947
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I will be checking.

Joan

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

I was checking too. I can wait to see what they will have. All I know is Emerson is the table at the very back. Nancy said he would have a lot of Thornton's Lemon drops. Barbra

• jwhite2947
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lemon Drop is one of the main ones I want. I am just starting my named varieties. I have about 20 of a really nice noid (white with small yellow center). It roots easily -- that's why I have several. Now I want to branch out. I ordered rooted cuttings from Brad's in March. I got Abigail, Bowen's Yellow, Dean Conklin, and Puu Kahea. I printed out the list from June and I am studying it now. I figure there will be a lot of overlap and I can get a head start on making my list. One of my problems is getting my plants back to Arkansas in a Prius. I will have to choose carefully and go for smaller plants than I would like. I will probably make a nuisance of myself on the forum over the next few days asking for opinions on my choices.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Jwhite, I have a Toyota camery, I took out the back seats before I left for the PSA sale. We were able to bring really nice size plants back. I took pillows and put them between the plants, so they would not touch each other. I was really suprised at the room we had back there. We could have brought back twice as many plants as we did. Barbra

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Joan, you will love Lemon Drop. Do yourself a favor and find a good Penang Peach, too. Both will grow into a tidy compact form you can keep in a large pot. The PP flowers are thick and keep well in water, not to mention the amazing peach-coconut scent--YUM!

Have a great time!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Joan, you just need a shoehorn, stick of butter and patience to make it fit. You can practice by playing some games of Tetris.

• jwhite2947
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hubby said no on taking out the back seat of the Prius. It seems that Toyota's designers didn't take plumie obsession into consideration and thoughtlessly put the batteries Under the back seat. We did remove the storage compartment over the spare tire and laid the back seat down to see how much room I have. I added the Penang Peach to my list. I've been considering it and you convinced me. I'm going to start by buying 6, pack the car and hopefully be able to go back for more. I may be holding a small plumie on my lap for the 10 hour trip back home if I'm not careful. I can't wait. I had surgery on my wrist Tuesday and my doctor told my husband your wife is really excited about her trip to buy Plumeria. Evidently I told everyone in the OR what plumeria were and how I was going to get to go buy some new ones. I don't remember a thing.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

George, what table will you be at?? Barbra

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Joan, the image of you driving a foliage-packed Prius all the way back to Arkansas with a plumeria sitting in your lap is too much! Just don't get pulled over! I don't know how you'd explain that to a State Trooper.

And don't forget to put some old sheets or blankets down because there will be some latex dripping. No matter how careful you are some leaves will get bumped and bleed a little and that latex is tough to remove once it's on upholstery.

Ah, the things we say when under IV sedation...I wonder if some of them went and googled what you were babbling about after your surgery, lol.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Joan, can't wait to meet you. We will look for someone with a wrist cast on. I will be wearing royal blue shorts, hopefully standing behind a cart full of plumeria. Barbra

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Barbra,
    I will be on table B, near the entrance. I would love to meet you. Stop by and say hello.

George

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

George, I will be sure and stop to say hi. I can't wait until Saturday.

I checked nothing posted yet about the selections of plumeria available. Last year they posted the information on Wed. I think there will be more tables at this sale than Clearlake. Clearlake listed tables thru U, John said he will be at table W. Barbra

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Well If anyone is out and about and wants to drop off a TLD, Im just hanging out at the Methodist Hospital downtown today. Dad is having a surgery down here. Came down yesterday and leaving tomorrow. Maybe next year Ill plan better and make the sale

Ya'll play nice saturday and not pushing, LOL

mike..

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Wish I could help you out Mike. If you get some time to sneak out (sounds bad doesn't it?) you could get to Emerson's in about 30 minutes from downtown.

I'll be at the PSA sale with the Lady who is apparently wearing blue shorts. Barbra is the best sale buddy ever. She can sniff out a bargain or a deal like a bloodhound.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

George,
    I am coming for a U of H Orange from you.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

George, I have a question. Last year was my first time going to a PSA sale. K and I shared a shopping cart, that was full of plumeria. I was sitting down next to the cart, while our social butterfly was talking to Tex and Emerson. A person came up to our cart, picked up some plumeria checking them out. I told him that those plants are talken, and he left. Has anyone ever had plumeria taken out of their basket? Its hard to believe that anyone would do this, but I always wondered. Barbra

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Hi Barbra,
    you got to watch your cart. Technically the plumerias are not yours until you check out and pay for them. They are fair game. Anybody can take them. It is sad when it happens but it does happen (not very often though). Most people are considerate and would not do that.

Kms2, I am sorry I have no more UH Orange. I sold them all in the Clear Lake sale. Next year I will have some.

George

• beachplant
    10 years ago

We brought home 5 in a Mustang and had plenty of room for more. I`ve actually brought home >20 in a Miata! The biggest was 5` tall. And I didn`t have to put the top down. Or hold one in my lap. I`m really, really good at packing.

I`m hoping to make it, the car is going in for a new transmission on Friday and I am trying to find a way up there. Arrrggghhh! I can bike around the island but that is a bit far to ride. I may just be sending Barb money and having her babysit RS for me till the fall. :(

Barb, that is why there are 2 of you, one to shop and one to guard the ones you already picked out. I`ve had people try to take plants out of my hands at other plant sales in the past!
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Tally last year I had to just pick up my Wildfire. I was hoping to find a Raspberry Sundae and Mr. Ambassador, but I think they were all sold before we got thru the door. I did buy a Bill Moragne for Andrew, and Penang Peach. This year I bought and paid for my plants after the Clearlake sale , I just need to pick them up. I know I will buy more, when I get there. My favorite thing to do, is look at the table full of plumeria blooms. I also love talking to all the friendly plumeira sellers, and listening to them talk about their plants. Its like they are talking about their children. Tally, don't worry, if you cannot make it to the PSA sale. I will bring the RS home and babysit it until I see you in October.

George, I just knew it, by the way he reacted. I thought if they were in your cart, they were yours. After that happened, I always wondered. Thank you answering. Barbra

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Once in your cart they are yours, it`s just like being at the grocery store. Noone would think of shopping from your cart there. Why would they anywhere else? I mean really, you are buying them but just because you haven`t made it to the front of the line to pay for them doesn`t mean someone can take them from you. Noone would ever be able to purchase anything.
    Tally HO!

• citizen_insane
    10 years ago

Beachplant, I hear you, what you are saying should be true. However, in a grocery store there is plenty more on the shelves. Say there was a hurricane coming and people made a run for bottle water. Some person has a cart full of water and there is none left on the shelves. You do not think people would grab water out of the cart if he/she is not looking? The same thing here. There is very limited availability on a lot of varieties (especially newer ones). When people cannot find what they are looking for, some of them will grab it out of your cart. So, be careful and guard your cart.
    George

• cointx
    10 years ago

I'm going to try and make it to the sale. It will be my first. I wonder how many plumeria you can fit into a Tahoe? I'm guessing way more than I can afford!

It is so hard to narrow down a list especially when you visit this forum and see everyone's beautiful plants.

Joan and Barb I hope to see both of you there and hope I find you with everything on your wish lists! I promise not to take any plants from your cart! I've heard of cattle rustlers but plumeria rustlers? Who knew?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Yep, I heard of rose rustlers, and was actually unknowing turned into one. Its a long story, about the oldest rose in Texas, the Flores Street House Eater. I'm the cleaver rustler in the article. Barbra

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I know they will steal them from your cart. In a hurricane, stealing anything from someones cart will get you shot. That is why there are 2 of you, one to guard the cart and one to shop. People are just rude. Get up earlier and be the first one in line if your life depends on getting that one plumeria! Don`t go take someone else`s. Or water in a hurricane. I am not the one at the store last minute, well, to get beer maybe but the rest of the supplies are in place. Which reminds me there is not enough RUM!
    To the liquour store!
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Tally, I sure hope you can make it to the PSA sale, you are just a hoot. Love your sense of humor, and just being around you. . Barbra

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I hope I make it too! I need off the island!
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

They just posted the list of available cultivars for the FT Bend PSA sale. Its on the PSA website. Have Fun! Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Ok, I've figured out that K is Florida Colors and X is Emerson, who is N? Does anyone know. Barbra

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I don`t have the list from the last sale with me, I bet we can figure out who it is though from that. I`ll dig it out when I get home. I guess we know which tables you are headed to!
    Tally HO!

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Oh wow, who is at table S? They have a lot of goodies! Argh too bad I can't come. Jandy and Kms, are you guys going?

Mike (mksmth), if you're going, can you pick me up a plant or two? Lol

Kenny.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Tally, I made a list of about 12 plumeria from the Clear lake sale. Only one is available at this sale. I have a few that I put down, I like their names. I need to check out the bloom table, to see what they look like. I have never hear of them before. I have searched the entire internet and cannot find pictures of them. Its going to be like a treasure hunt. I can't wait. I've got my list, phone, and pillows ready to go. Barbra

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Kenny,
    Barbra and I are riding together. Jandey and E can't make it this time. I am sure they will be there via text message though.

It looks like quite a list. Should be lots of fun. I will be the guy with Barbra and Tally working Protective Detail for my shopping cart.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Sorry Kenny. I'm not gonna make it back. I think I remember you saying you had tomorrow off. I think the weather will be nice for a road trip ;).

Mike

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Lol Mike, no way I'm driving by myself :(

K, I heard from Jen just now, she won't be going! I thought I'd ask her to check something out for me lol. I don't remember there were this many JL cultivars last month. If you have time after you're done shopping would you mind check something out for me? :)

Kenny

• beachplant
    10 years ago

unfortunately I will not make it. Barb and K will have to treasure hunt alone. Just as well Jim nixed the idea of a second mortgage to pay for plumeria. Sigh.

Barb, I will send you $ for Rs. Paypal or you want me to mail it? And you better get 2 carts. I`ve seen K in action.

It is like a treasure hunt! Since so many of the vendors are in my area I think I shall just go on my own Plumeria sale tour next month. I still haven`t made it to see Becky and she has several on my list, Paula is just up the road-she had a table at the Clear Lake Sale and I totally missed her. She was working at the Barking Frog and would bring them down to the island. I wonder if she is still working there, haven`t seen any plumeria there lately.

Have fun! Beat off the Plumeria Rustlers!
    Tally HO!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

HAVE FUN AT THE SALE!!!!

Remember. Barbed wire is great for putting around your cart before you head into the front door... That may help the " rustlers..." Barbra, let K put the trees into the cart so you don't get poked by the wire...

Have a great time...

Loved the butter and shoehorn idea for the cars...lol

We will be thinking of you all...

Take care,

Laura

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

K has a lot of control, when it comes to buying plumeria. I am planning on buying 2 plumeria, if I can afford them. I also need to buy a plumeria for my friend Mike, who wants something with fragrance. The rest of the time I will help K and Joan locate what they are looking for. It gets crazy at first, then calms down when the tables are almost empty. Then its show and tell and time to visit.

I will try and locate a seller that has Heirloom, and is willing to mail it out, for the rest of you on the forum. Barbra

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Kenny,I saw that too. No problem Let me know what you want us to look for. I texted Jen to forward my # to you or you can email me via Garden Web a way to get in touch with you.

Maybe we can start a ferry system to get it to you. I'll hand it off to Jen, Jen to Lonnie, Lonnie to You. It will be a Plumeria Railroad.

• Kenny
    10 years ago

K, I like that idea lol

It's our plumeria chain from TX to OK :)

Kenny

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

This was the best sale ever. I got to meet George, he is so nice. I also got to meet Joan and her husband. Lynn, you have competition now girl! I don't know if Joan had to rent a trailer, to get all those plants back to Ark. She said she would post a picture of them when she got home. K, and I did really well. I picked up my Mr Ambassador, Large Raspberry Sundae, Bill Moragne, these are all very large plants. I also picked up JL Allison, JL Elizabeth Thornton Rainbow, JL Hot Pink, Pretty Princess, Tropical Storm( a rooted cutting), and Fabulous( Germans said it has the best bloom and fragance, and I had to have it) Pretty Princess, Fabulous, and JL Allison are all over 2 ft tall .All the Tropical Storm rooted plants were sold out before the sale was open to us, I was just lucky enough to get the rooted cutting, it was only $17. The sale is open to the sellers at 9am, some plants were sold out before we even came thru the door. I came back with money in my pocket, so my husband is happy. K, will post pictures later, but after he took the pictures we found out that the hugh 4 tip Mr Ambassador was still inside the truck. Barbra

This post was edited by honeybunny2 on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 18:30

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

By the way table S was German's table, if I would have only known. I had already pre bought 3 plants from him, I ended up buying 4 more plants from him. He told me he had 3 tropical Storm rooted plants. , I checked for an hour, then he said I must have sold them. All he could find is the rooting cutting, which I took. I need to go back to the coast and make a lot of plumeira soil, so I can plant these in the ground, they are all large plants and can go in the ground this year. I bought 7 out of 8 plants from German. I ended up with large 3, 4 and 5 tips plants. for $30 to $65. K, and I came up with a plan on out go get rid of our rooted cuttings next year. Jen, you are invided to join us. Barbra

• cointx
    10 years ago

Very happy for you. What a haul! I didn't make it today, so sad :( Maybe next year! Can't wait to see the pictures.

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi Barbra,
    I am glad to hear that you got your large Bill Moragne. The one you picked up for me last year is doing really well. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will bloom for me this year. I also have can Heirloom coming to me very soon, along with J.L. Alison(hopefully, I am keeping my fingers crossed with that one.). I have never heard of Tropical Storm. Hopefully someone will post a picture of the flower.

I still don't have Raspberry Sundae, maybe next year :) Thanks for giving us a rundown of the sale!

Andrew

• pcput
    10 years ago

Sounds you all had fun! What a great haul Barbra!
    Kenny, sounds like the plumeria underground is working for you.
    Peg

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Sorry we missed the sale. The transmission however is done and the car rides so smooth. Only 11 months to the next sale...
    Tally Ho!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Sounds like a great railroad systems to me.. Now to set up one to the east.. LOL!!!

SO much fun had by all.... I think I need to go to this one.. Peg, I think you need to go with me? ;-)

Rent a Prius.. I think that will do!! Joan Proved that!!!

Great haul too Barbra!!! Especially with money let over.. ;-)

Smart lady.. Happy hubby too!!!

Have a great night!!!

Laura