Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivysmom_gw

Looks like my first cuttings have rooted, so now what?

ivysmom
11 years ago

OK, so the two cuttings I got at the Seabrook PSA sale (June 5th) all have several healthy leaves on top. I put them in opaque pots, so I can't SEE the roots, but I assume this means they've successfully rooted. I haven't watered them, though they did get rained on a couple times before I could get DH to drag them in onto the porch. Is this when I should put some SuperThrive and start intentionally watering them? If so, how much ST (and water) and how frequently?

Comments (5)

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

Now this is a dilemma. The leaves don't necessarily mean the cuttings have rooted. Sink a long, slender stick into your potting mix, pull it out and check it for moisture. If it's moist, don't water.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I'm afraid that is true. One of the 4 cuttings I killed had about three 4-5 inches leaves growing... but when I pulled it out the the trunk was black and hollow thus rotted through! Then I have one that I yanked out a few days ago that I thought was dead b/c it had no new leaves... but it yet it had 1 inch roots all around. So I'm still scratching my head over this.

I guess I better take Bill's advice and leave them alone or he'll give me another award!

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

I agree with jperilloux, just because your cutting has a few leaves doesn't mean it's fully rooted. I had a Maui Beauty that I took out of my pot because it was wrinkled an I couldn't save it, it had several leaves (maybe 5+ on each branch) an it didn't hardly have any roots at all. My Bill Moragne cutting that I planted back in April has 5+ 6-7 inche leaves, but yet it's roots are starting to grow, they're small, no way near a full root ball. Also if you took it out of the pot, you could disturb the tiny fragile young roots. On plumeria101 site, it says it takes about 90 days (3 months) to form a full root ball. Since you just got yours June 5th, they have only been rooting over a month, if you think they need watering or if the dirt is dry, mist the top of the cuttings or water around the rim of the pot sparingly.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

I agree with Kim!!

Leave them alone and let them grow. I have a California Sally cutting and its leaves are huge, but no signs of roots in the clear container. ( it has been 3 mts) I will not pull or probe until i see a good set of roots forming, then i will repot.

Let them be and only mist if you think they need moisture during this heat wave. Keep them from this intense sun, but give them good bottom heat.

Leaves do not mean roots..

Like Kim mentioned, Cuttings root at different times, i believe the different varieties root at diffent times because of overall health of the cutting, variety and growing enviroment.

Be patient.. They will root! : )

Take care,

Laura

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

On thing you can do at this point where you have a number of leaves is fill a cup with water and let it set over night. Put in a couple of drops of superthrive. Now take an eye dropper and squirt it only around the edge of the pot and not near the stem. The water will run down the side but the moisture will lightly be available to the stem. You can use an eye dropper load for every couple of inches around the perimeter. When the leaves are 6-8 inches long you can water the pot but let it dry out quite a bit so it keep growing roots looking for the water. About the third watering, I add a half dose of fertilizer and two weeks later I add a full dose. Always water a day or at least a few hours before you fertilize- I was told that it is a good practice to not fertilize on dry roots.