Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stem rot in rooted cutting. please help

Posted by coryf florida (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 16:38

Hi,

I am not new to growing plumeria from cutting, but i i have had a very hard time with cuttings that i had sent from Thailand. The first one got root rot because it was left on my friends patio in miracle grow while she was away and it heavily rained so the soil stayed wet for four days. These were supposed to be rooted plants(although they were dried roots) and the instructions said they could be planted right away. Anyways, that first one was reduced to just a very small tip that is not rooting at all. My friend contacted the seller and they sent a replacement free of charge (seems they are used to this issue). As soon as i saw it i knew it was going to be a problem because it had black tip fungus and i could see evidence of stem rot, although the stem felt firm from top to bottom. Since the plant was rooted i tried to plant it in soil regardless of the black tip and all seemed to be well for about a week. Today i checked on the plant and it was rotten half way up the cutting. I checked the base of the base of the plant and it is still very firm, but from where i saw the rot all the way to the tip was bad and the black tip was going further down the plant. So i cut DOWN the branch from the rotten area until i got to good wood, everything above that good part leaked kind of yellow liquid, even parts that looked like it could have been saved based on wood color. Does anyone know if a semi rooted cutting that has had half of it's top end cut off will survive, and can i put rubber cement on the cut end or should i let it be? I included a pic of what it looks like now if that helps. I really hope all is not lost because this is supposed to be a rare type with the most exotic looking color

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stem rot in rooted cutting. please help

Not sure about the rubber cement but remember that these plants are very hardy. They can take a hard hit and bounce back against the odds. Best info I can give you is just to wait and leave it alone. Good luck :)

Josh

o
RE: stem rot in rooted cutting. please help

Should i have left it alone to begin with? I tried to, but i was watching it get more and more rotten by the minute and became convinced it was rot because of the clear yellowish liquid that came out when i poked the soft part with a needle. I have grown many non rooted cuttings and never experienced any rot or growth issues before. I will definitely leave it now, thank you for your input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here