Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chop it off or?

Posted by beachplant 9b (beachplant@excite.com) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 17:25

I picked up this girl yesterday, the dog had broken off a branch, the cuttings are stuck in the pot.
I`m thinking of severly cutting it back to give it better shape. Should I just cut off the branch the dog broke, let it recouperate then whack off the other branch or just whack them both off now?
Tally HO!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chop it off or?

Can't help with the question but will say that I cringe at the word "whack". LOL

Good thing people love their dogs so much, huh? We put up with a lot from them. :)

Actually, I probably would do some "whacking" to shape it up.

o

not my dog, the dog belonged to the guy I bought it from, but I got it for $10 & it`s Charlotte Ebert.

My dogs did knock off a big chunk of one of the plummies in the back yard, it is thrown to the side waiting to dry out.

I am ruthless when whacking at plants, I do love my machete.
Tally HO!

o

Charlotte Ebert for $10?????

LOL

I've been dying for a CE but had to wait for one to be grafted then there was a communication error... grrr. Anyway, I'll get one eventually. :)

Be careful of that machete. Hope no one makes you mad when you have it in your hand. LOL

o

i'd cut back both branches.

o

Beachplant,
I would cut the left branch to about 12" from the joint. I would then down-graft the right branch to be about 12" from the joint. If the graft fails, I would root the scion as a cutting and straighten out the rootstock part. Do you know how to graft?
George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here