Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Lani vs. Lani's Beauty

No-Clue
11 years ago

What's the difference?? I'm sooo confused at this point. I thought I wanted Lani's Beauty which I thought was a rainbow. Once I saw Laura and Bill posted their pictures I decided I have to have that one.

But then when I spoke to Marilynn she said hers is Lani and NOT Lani's Beauty. But it's definitely a Rainbow.

Then I saw Lani's at Upland and it's a solid dark pink almost red! Which is NOT what I want.

So that left me scratching my head. So can anyone set me straight? Which is which?? Or should I not care what name it goes by as long as I got the Lani that is the Rainbow??

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• Tony10
    11 years ago

This has always confused me too! Sorry I am of no help LOL. I don't have either. I ordered a Lani's Beauty from JP years ago and it bloomed Celedine. Uggh!

Tony

• Kimo
    11 years ago

NC,
    I had Marilynns Lani and it is the same as Lani's Beauty aka University Hawaii Lanis Beauty. Same growth habit, leaves, scent etc. Upland Nursery is in Tustin and hot like hell, just like the IE temps, so the flower will look Red there.
    Here is a pic of my Marilynns Garden Lani from 2001

The pic was taken during June Gloom so not the best example. My Lanis Beauty looks like that when June Gloom is around, also when it hits upper 80s it turns red.

Hope that helps

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So they are all the SAME plant?? I mean the one I saw at Upland was SOLID in color w/ no rainbow at all. I didn't particular like it that way. So I passed on it. LOL...

Freak you said you HAD... does that mean you don't anymore?

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Hot:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Warm:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Lani ... just right!!! : )

I love my Lani!!!

{{gwi:7812}}

NC.. some of my blooms were solid and some were like Bill's in warm weather... MY weather was HOT when they were in bloom.

Hope this helps.. Like others have said..depends on the conditons and heat.

Hi James!!!

Take care,

Laura

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Hey NC,
    Yes had since 2001, I gifted the Marilynns Lani to my friend because his wifes name is lani and I had my Lanis beauty which are the same as I see it in every way. Again when its really hot both my Lanis beauty and Marilynns Lani look kind of solid red, my pic of MG Lani was taken in mid June when it has been cool and overcast thus the light colors. You have to look at the petal shape and how the inflo grows, and the scent which are identical. I still have access to the MG's Lani that I gifted my friend and it was about 10 to 11ft tall when I gifted it 2yrs ago and it was in a pot. My friend planted it in the ground in his Backyard.

Bill nice pic of the Lani looking red. I still have your rooted Golden pagoda so we need to meet before Sept.

Laura,
    Beautil pic of your lani also. Cheers

• Kimo
    11 years ago

NC...
    Here is a better pic I found of MG Lani after it rained. Colors are still a bit lighter but you can see the color placement and pattern:

Taken a little later then the other pic, maybe 2 weeks apart.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone! That is one gorgeous plumeria! All the photos are stunning. I love it. I can't wait to get one.

Bill thank you for showing me the different looks in different weather. You have a beautiful collection...can't wait to visit you garden and admire all your beauties.

Laura you truly are gifted with plumerias. Every single plant under your loving care is absolutely beautiful, healthy and happy. I look forward to drooling over your pictures.

James that was so kind of you to gift your Lani to your friend. And as always I appreciate your knowledge and your willingness to share with a newbie.

Thanks again for helping me sort it all out. :)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Lani is one of my favorites for its color. And it has a ROSE SCENT! That's a big plus. It tends to be a lanky grower for me, so that's one negative and it doesn't bloom quite as readily for me as some others.

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

Definitely looks better in the cooler temps in my opinion.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's such an interesting plant with all the variations! I'm so in love with her already. AND the rose scent just makes it even more perfect!! :)

• nativec
    11 years ago

What great photos! I wondered about this bloom as I've seen so many talking about it. Boy, it is gorgeous!!

Now I have to add it to my wishlist...LOL I'm not sure that its healthy for me to keep looking at all these beautiful flowers...LOL

Nicole

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nicole you and I both! LOL.

• Plumeria_Hoarder
    11 years ago

Hello. I was trying to identify my plumeria that I got from my neighbor (he doesn't know what it's called either), and this thread came along. Mine looks very similar to Lani's Beauty, but the colors aren't as intense. The yellow in the middle isn't as big or the reddish color on the sides isn't as intense. Do any of yours turn this light? Thanks for any help in identifying this plant.