Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

omg i rooted one!!!!!!!!!!

No-Clue
11 years ago

I received some ROOTED plants from both Fuzzy and Matt on June 29th... so while I was re-planting those I had one cutting from Upland that had NOT rotted through after 8 weeks like my other 4, so I potted it in Al's Gritty Mix. To be honest I was so freaked out that I killed 4 already that I wasn't holding my breath with this one.

Anyway, today I received two rooted plant from BBB's; Daeng Sayem/Siam Red and Mardi Gras. Both look fantastic by the way... will post some pics later.

As I was preparing to pot those two I looked at that single cutting on my kitchen counter and thought what the heck let me re-do it and see if I can save it now that I know a little more. Well I yanked it out of the Gritty mix and what do you know there were 1 inch thick roots all around!! What in the world! I didn't see any leaf growth so I was not expecting roots!

So somehow the cutting didn't root in cactus/perlite for 8 weeks but then rooted in Al's Gritty Mix in exactly 21 days??? So maybe it wasn't ME after all it was the soil. LOL. I'm soo excited that I'm actually giddy!

Dude from now on I'm putting EVERYTHING in Al's Gritty Mix, see if I don't. It's a miracle.

Al thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your mix restored my faith and my confidence!

Now I'm off to potting Moonie's mystery cutting she sent me. Thanks Moonie!! If this roots I will send you the plant! :)

Comments (29)

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Congrats!!!!!! I am so happy for you. Al's gritty mix is awesome! I even have my seedlings in it. Love it. Thank you Al, you have helped so many people. I read everything you post at least twice! Its helped me learn what is best for my plants!! Keep up the good work.

And NC you also, you can do it!!! Keep us posted!

Jackie

• nativec
    11 years ago

Yay! Whoo-hoo! Way to go!!! Congrats! See you can do it!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know I am beyond the moon!

And this is only roots imagine when I get leaves or flowers... oh boy LOL. Fantastic!

• joanr
    11 years ago

No-Clue,

That is just awesome. Your green thumb is finally showing it's true color :)

I am very happy for you and I'm sure it will grow into a wonderful plant for you. Keep us posted on your success's.

Joan

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Congratulations, it really is a wonderful feeling! Great job!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Way to go! Sneaky cutting, rooting like that without telling you. ;D

Now you know you can do it. Congratulations!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Congrats!
    Tally HO!

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Ooooh what a feeling, congrats!!!!

Wendy

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

I knew you could do it, NC! And now you know it, too.

I hope your cutting isn't turning as wrinkly as mine. These could end up being Kimo. The guy that sent me these does have Kimo and from what I hear, and what I'm experiencing from another cutting I got awhile back, this can be typical of Kimo.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moonie,

I potted up already... yes it's wrinkly but hopefully it will grow. I will keep you posted. Thank you so much.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Congratulations NC,

I knew you could do this too!

As you all know, i am a fan of the Gritty Mix and i love this stuff! My trees just love it and what it gives to the trees overall health....

So glad you had success. Great job!!!

Take care,

Laura

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Lynn- you get the "mother hen award" and the "I can't keep my hands off my plants award" If you learn one thing from me it is that you leave them alone. Digging up a rooting plant can strip off many fine hair roots as well as shock the plant. Plant and forget is hard but works. Many problems are caused by messing with a cutting. If a stem gets squishy it is rotting. If the stem is still hard, leave it be. When it gets 6" leaves water it. If it is super hot (100+) cover with a mesh. If it is getting too much hot sun, put a paper towel cardboard around the stem to prevent sunburn but otherwise forget about them. Digging around looking for roots, digging up the plants, messing with them just brings trouble.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bill... can I give the awards back? LOL. But Bill in all fairness, it's much easier said than done. I only have around 30+ plants that's why I have the time to fuss with them. Now if I have 300+ then I won't have that time. So are you saying I should get more?? That logic makes sense doesn't it? I need to buy more plants/cuttings then I will be too busy to mess with them! :)

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

A true plumiaholic finds every available excuse to buy more. As long as you have an endless supply of money there is an endless supply of people wanting to sell you cuttings to kill. The fewer you kill the fewer you have to replace and that money can be used to buy other new ones you "must have." Now that is good logic. Have fun.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey are you calling me a plumiaholic Bill? Now that title I am proud to hold.

Don't you think eventually I will run out of plumies to buy though? I mean I am only going for sweet fragrance thus turning down quite a few beauties. Plus many that you guys posted are not available to buy such as Purple Jade Dragon.

When can I visit your garden Bill?

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

NC - you crack me up, girl! LOL

Soon as I get to the forum I look for your posts. We never know what you're going to say or do next! Or buy!

Concerning these awards and how you came to win them, let me help Bill out and forward you some advice from the late Yolanda Garland. "Go bother something else" :)

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha Mona I am glad we can laugh about my addiction! Come for a shopping spree at JJs and then we can tour Bill's garden. :)

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

Lynn- remember I said August. It is still July. I had more fog than you so many of my plants are just getting going or soon to bloom. By August I should have enough to see. By the way your present is already leafing and blooming so it must know you are coming. Patience doesn't seem to be your middle name.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I was just rounding up July ;) Now I got something to look forward to in August which will tie me over until the SD Sale in Sept. Will you be going to the Plant sale in Sept?

I'm stoked to hear my present is leafing and blooming. And I have not touched my new cuttings I planted per your instructions. Although I must admit patience is definitely not my greatest virtue. How ironic that I would be addicted to the Plumeria when I have zero patience?

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

"Well I was just rounding up July"

LOL

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well Mona it is closer to August than it is July. You like my logic? Lol

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Had to laugh at that one, the fewer you kill the fewer you have to replace so you can buy more, so true.

These are like my cactus, they thrive on neglect, they are not a plant that wants to be pampered all the time. Food and sun are the only things mine demand from me.

Tally HO!

• angela_socal
    11 years ago

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum... it's so nice to see I am not the only plum crazy one!

Soo what is this gritty mix that you are talking about?

I have never been able to root a cutting that has been brought back from Hawaii, HOWEVER this year I received three cuttings from a friend, I pulled everything off except for the claws and they all 3 have grown back. One even had an inflow when it was cut and it continued a couple months later! I am so proud of myself!! LOL!!

I just planted two cuttings yesterday that were just brought back to me from Hawaii, i am nervous and impatient and it's only day two! Ugh!!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I used the gritty mix rooting my cuttings in plastic bottles this spring, they all rooted. No trouble rooting cuttings, its keeping them alive after they root, that I had trouble with. I can't wait to try cuttings again this spring. Barbra

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Angela-just leave them alone and they will do great.

Gritty mix is a version of a bonsai mix. Don`t use it, heard all the arguments, I have big happy plants. And I understand cell biology, transport mechanism, agonist, antagonist, blah, blah, blah.

Tally Ho!

• pcput
    11 years ago

Welcome angela_socal. There is a lot of info here to digest. Go to the search on the main page and enter gritty mix. You will find lots of info on it both pro and cons. Only you can decide what is best for your plants in your environment and the amount of time you have for them. Then it becomes a trial to see what works. Even two of us living only 7 miles apart have to do things differently. Plumerias will teach you patience. Good luck with your new babies. Peg

• angela_socal
    11 years ago

Tally, thank you! I will leave them alone!! But I will stare at them every day!!

Peg, Thank you! Finally people who love them like us, my husband kinda got dragged into it also! hehe. Yes, I was up till 2:00 last night reading and saving! I will search for that. I will have to try... I normally do the cactus/perilite, but I think I might also try the gritty mix and the Miracle Grow just to see??

I can't believe I am looking forward to Spring to try to root some cuttings!! Just wrote the dates down in my calendar for the San Diego show in April!!

• DelWH
    11 years ago

Hi angela_socal,

Finding the gritty mix components in So Cal can be a bit tricky, but I managed to find everything around El Monte/Pico Rivera. Not sure where you are in Socal. The trickiest one was the gravel grit, but I got it at the source, A-1 Grit, one of those gravel pits near Irwindale Raceway. About $6 for an 80 lb bag. LOL

• angela_socal
    11 years ago

Wow, thank you for the heads up, I will let the gritty mix go.

I am down in San Diego, but inland about 25 miles where it's much warmer than the coast, and no marine layer!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH