Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kt2fl

A treat from Jeannie Moragne

Kenny
11 years ago

After seeing so many wonderful photos of Jeannie Moragne Jr, I decided to get one too! I guess you can call it luck but I stumbled across a BIG 4-tip cutting from eBay and bought it!

HUGE Jeannie M. cutting!

The seller even threw in a free cutting of Sarah Anne! I looked that one up on the PSA site and all I saw was that it's a Thai cultivar. Yep I decided to root them in the gritty mix after seeing results of Laura's rooted plumies! :)

They each have an inflo when I received them last month...but I ended up cutting off Sarah Anne's inflo as it was having a bad case of bud drops...So fast forward 3 weeks, Jeannie Moragne is still rooting, and she decides to give me a nice treat by showing off her flowers

This is what they looked like yesterday when they first opened, the petals were so red!

...and this is what she looks like today with the flowers fully open

I absolutely adore the big size flowers and the streaks radiating from the center.

Jeannie Moragne is a keeper for sure. I just hope it roots faster!

Comments (26)

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Oh yes she is a keeper!!! Just beautiful!! Those cuttings were enormous. You did good congrats!!

Jackie

• elucas101
    11 years ago

OH WOW!!! What a stunning display, absolutely gorgeous! That is a great shaped cutting too, good find!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Congratulations!
    How does she smell? :)

-Robert

• nativec
    11 years ago

Just beautiful! That is certainly a keeper! Congrats on your treasures!

Nicole

• pcput
    11 years ago

K - that's a real beauty. Love the color. Nice job finding it. Peg

• Kenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sigh...nothing lasts in the Oklahoma weather! If it's not blowing, it's hailing, or pouring violently. One of the flowers that bloomed yesterday fell off so I decided not to let it go to waste. I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I have taking them. LOL

Thank you all for your kind comments! I hope she'll root quickly so there'll be more flowers!

Robert,
    Jeannie M. has a floral scent. I've seen some describe it as rosy. The scent is not strong but noticeable.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

MY OH MY!!!!

Kenny... She is just stunning....

The colors are so crisp and clear. I just love Jeannie!!

Cogratulations on this one.. She sure is a beauty!!

Your Gritty mix looks great!!

Good Luck!

Laura

• joanr
    11 years ago

What a wonderful cutting. The size is amazing. Wouldn't you have loved to see the tree that came off of. Jeannie Moragne is one of my favorites. I love the flowers and it looks like it will be rooting for you shortly.

Good job on the cutting. And I also "LOVE" your model!

Joan

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

WOW that's absolutely stunning!! I wish I had your luck!

I paid a fortune for mine WITH an inflo but seller broke the root ball when he took it out of the pot. So I had to send my Jeannie to a friend to help me save her. She is now on life support. I hope she makes it or I'm going to be soooo bummed!

Thank you for sharing the photos of your beauty! I love adore Jeannie!

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Love your photos, especially with Chelsea! Both are beautiful so they make a good pair. ;o) My Jeannie is rooting away, I don't expect to see flowers this year so thanks for sharing yours!

Wendy

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

What a cute dog! You just want to hug her. :)
    Thanks for the scent info and sorry you lost a bloom.

-Robert

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

Great blooms!!
    I purchased a JM cutting this year, but nothing compared to yours!!!
    Who was the seller?

Lonnie in TX

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Nice, Kenny. The colors are amazing in OK heat! Glad I was able to cross Jeannie off my list before I saw this (thanks, K!)

Four tips will give you a very nice form in a couple of years, especially if she blooms and branches again in that time. I bet the scent will be much stronger once she's established, too.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Kenny, Great buy. Jeannie is is a fantastic plant. You will love it. I don't find it to be a strong fragrance but its still noticeable. My only drawback is I have not found it to keep inflos blooming the entire summer. Its typically been a May - June Bloomer and a few stragglers into July and then its done. I havent looked but maybe I have some seed pods again this year. Any one else experienced this short bloom cycle on their Jeannie?

You are welcome Jandy, Glad I could give it to you. I plan on moving my Jeannie to a different location next year but in order to do so I will have to prune it to fit through a doorway. It currently is on the east side balcony of a tall building so it gets full sun from morning until about 1-2pm. I want to try an even more sunny spot and see what happens.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Nice score! And a wonderful garden helper you have there. I can not wait for mine to bloom now.
    Tally HO!

• Kenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura,
    I only learn from the best ;) Gritty mix works quite well for my plumies, I hope the rooting ones will take off too.

Wendy, No-Clue,
    Thank you! I hope yours will thrive and flower for you.

Joan,
    If memory serves correctly, the cutting was first listed for $25 but I guess no one wanted it. I was debating to get it then but thought I should save my money for others. Then the seller relisted the following week and I won it for $18 with little competition ($17.50 was the starting bid). I'm so glad I got Jeannie Moragne :)

Lonnie,
    The seller's id on eBay is orchiddon1. He's from Macon, GA. He lists plumie cuttings every once in a while. When he does, he lists them in lots of 3 (all named variety). There was one that I tempted to get but I forgot about it and let it fall through. Oh well, next time!

Jen,
    Thank you! After looking at the cutting closely, I found 2 of the 4 tips already had inflos. Those didn't result in any branching. Maybe 3rd time is the charm? Do you know if JM has a tall growing habit?

K,
    It was all thanks to you plumie-holics on here that I got my JM. I hope yours will produce more blooms at the new location.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Oh, Kenny, that cracks me up that you bought the cutting without knowing that, yes, Jeannie will grow up to be a BIG girl.

However, Kms2 has a beautiful big one contained in a pot and can post pics if he sees this. He's said he has to climb a ladder to get his inflo pics. She's supposedly a strong grower and tall like her mama Daisy.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Oh no! I didn't know Jeannie will grow tall either. I bought her for her beauty and scent. I guess due to space issue I should really look into the growth habit as well. But I am planning to keep all mine in pots.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Here is a picture from a previous post of my Jeannie. For size reference I was holding the camera over my head between 7-8ft. If you look right about dead center bottom you can see the rain diverter above the 7ft. doorway I will have to maneuver this thing through.

{{gwi:1165180}}

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Geez, K, that's even taller than I thought. Good thing I won't have to worry about that for another few years at least, hehe.

Remember, I am always willing to haul away "yard trimmings", no matter how large, to help a friend out :)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Great tree kenny!

And K Im with jandy only im willing to send $ for postage of yard trimmings lol.
    mike

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I'll be sharpening up the lopping shears for this coming March.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Oh wow that's so tall!! Ok folks if mine survived and get this tall you're welcome to come over w/ your shears any time. :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hey Kenny,

You are so kind.... Thank you!!

Im sure your cuting will do great for you! You know what you are doing and it shows!!!

I just love the Jeannie too! I had a Jeannie already from a friend and it hasn't bloomed yet. So, that is why i ordered a "Jean" from Fuzzy..lol only to find out that he had been selling them and they really were Jeannie. I did have an inflo from his tree and it didnt last to long. It was there for a few weeks, but remember this was a new rooted tree with an inflo from Hawaii. So i did enjoy her beauty... wish i could still see her. How beautiful your pictures are.. Great job!! Bravo!!! : )

K, She sure is a beast.. Reminds me of the habit of a California Sally. Bud refers his CS to the "beast.." LOL She sure is a beauty and i know you are so happy with this gorgeous gal!!

Take care,

Laura

• Kenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

K, your tree is so robust! Looks like almost every tip has an inflo! Dare I ask what size container you have it in? I hope mine will grow like that one day.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

25 gallon plastic container and its going to be root pruned this march. It had dozens of inflos but about half did not branch. I beleive its indicative of a maturing tree to slow down on the branching.