Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasplum

well the long wait begins!

texasplum
10 years ago

Well got all the cuttings from derrick in the pots and hopefully on their way to rooting! Did half in gritty mix and the other in cactus soil and perlite. Wish me luck!

Comments (8)

• pcput
    10 years ago

Good luck, but it sounds like you don't need any. :)
    Peg

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

Good luck! It's sort of late in the season so it will take a little longer probably. Al's Gritty mix is fabulous for rooting cuttings. It is almost impossible to rot them in it. Love that mix but over 7 gallon, or even 7 gallon, it's super heavy. But for the young ones, you cannot find a better mix for getting lots of healthy roots fast with little chance of rot.

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im hoping it goes well and we don't lose any. Heading to corpus for vacation for the next week so wont be messing with them at all and constantly watching them!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Texasplum, when your in Corpus, try and stop by. I am in Rockport 37 miles from you. Email me I will give you my phone number, I would love to meet you and your family. Lots of neat stuff to see in Rockport for a family to see, not to mention great fishing. We are going down tomorrow and will be there until Saturday. Barbra

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Good luck! I lost a few of the cuttings from Derrick but I put them in late fall so not surprised by that. As hot and humid as it is now they will root in no time. I put in a Barbados showgirl and 3 weeks later it was fully rooted. Use Miracle grow because that was what was at the house. Stuck some other cuttings in the yard and they have not only rooted but one has several inflos! Yeah!
    Go see Barb, she`s a blast.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Tally, I noticed that when tree branches fall and break tips off my plumeria plants, I just stick them in the ground. They are all shriveled by the time I find them, but they root. Is it because of the time of the year (spring) or is this something I should be looking into?

Texasplum, I noticed that your are trying two different types of rooting soils, That's what its all about, trying different things, to see what works best for you. Please share your results. Thanks, Barbra

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hey Barbra thanks for the invite! If we have time to get over that way I will def give you a shout. We love Rockport! Used to go there all the time growing up and it does have a lot of cool shops there. It has grown a lot in the past 5 years. I think we are going to check out the botanical gardens in corpus as well. I will deff post up my results on rooting hopefully all goes well. We are supposed to be over 100 for the next 7 days so have them in the shade for now.

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well made the mistake of going to the gardens in corpus. Wow what a bunch of amazing trees! They were huge and made me want even more. Awesome place and nice people working there.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio