Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Does this growth mean it is finally rooting?

caflowerluver
11 years ago

I got some cuttings from my sister in Florida and they did nothing for the longest time after planting in a pot. I have been keeping them in my greenhouse during winter and now in my shaded greenhouse. They are putting out growth at the very top. This is the first time I have tried rooting plumeria though I have rooted lots of other plants. What should I do with it now?

Thanks.

Clare

Comments (13)

• Minderella
    11 years ago

On top is an inflo, where flowers will come out. The claw like things are going to be leaves. Someone with more experience will give you more information.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Minderella - Thanks for the reply. I envy you all in Florida and all the tropical plants you can grow outside. My sister has lots of plumerias, brugs and other tropical plants. I have to keep them in a greenhouse because the temps drop down into the 30's (sometimes 20's) here on the Central Coast CA in winter.
    Clare

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

atopsca - do you know the name of your cutting? That promises to be a nice sized inflo, too!

It's the same for me here in NC growing tropicals. Although I do have a GH here at home, fortunately, I can overwinter my stuff at work and I don't have that extra added heat bill. :)

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

moonie57 - Thanks. She sent me - Lanis Beauty, Apricot, and Nobel's Rainbow. I won't know which is which until they bloom then I can make some markers. I don't need a heater in the greenhouse because we rarely have such low temps and we usually get lots of sun and solar heat during the day. Thanks goodness for that at least. Even in winter I have to open it up on some of the hotter days.
    Clare

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Oh yeah! Yesterday it was 118 in my GH. No fan, shade cloth or anything, but at the moment it is empty. I need to ask some of the experts if they think, with the shade cloth and a fan to cool if that would be exceptable conditions to root cuttings. At this point I am unsure about the heat. There's a difference in hot and HOT. LOL

I think with the shade cloth and fan for circulation, I can keep it under 100 degrees except on the very hottest days. Like today. :)

Nebel's rainbow is one that everyone has or else wants (ME!). I just saw someone (maybe Laura) post a pic of her Apricot not too long ago. Very pretty!

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moonie57 - I can't believe the temps in the Midwest to East Coast. All over 100+! I lived in Massachusetts and Illinois many years ago and I don't remember ever having temps like that. If the cuttings make it and grow, maybe we can do a trade in the future.
    Clare

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Hello Clare,
    I work with a lot of cuttings and I can honestly tell you don't be fooled by seeing growth at the top of your plant.
    The best way I could describe what you see is that these plumeria cuttings are a lot like potatoes in the fact they store nutrition, moisture and have the ability to grow to a slow point with no roots. Every cutting tip has stored memory before it was cut to produce leaves or produce an inflo / flowers.
    I too right at this very moment have 2 week old potted cuttings with inflows / flower buds and as much as we want to see they joy of beautiful blooms, now is not the time.
    Just like a potato will form eyes / or bumps to grow from it's stored energy and memory to grow and to keep a potato a few more days we knock off the buds / eyes to keep it longer.
    Looking at your photo and because I see no leaves you will eventually need to remove this inflo at the base of the crown. If you choose to let it produce flowers they will be small and you may experience bud drop.
    Please note: any growth at the top is taking away the energy it needs to produce rooting. Challenging yes!, but this is what makes us learn about what we love and care for!
    If you get the chance post on this thread a photo of the pot and plant and a close up at the base where the cutting meets the soil.
    We can help you and always wish the very best!, Stuart

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Stuart - Thanks for the information. Knocking off the inflo, I was afraid that might be the case. I figured it shouldn't have flowers if there are no leaves. I looked up when I potted the cuttings and it was August last year. How time flies! So it has been in a black one gal. pot for almost a year. I don't why it has taken this long to do something. The cuttings seem to be fine, no rotting or shriveling. I followed directions I got from a plumeria website and planted them in a very loose well draining potting soil.
    Clare

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

Clare,

Has it ever had leaves the time that you've owned it?
    That's a long time in the pot and you should have seen more evidence of leaves by now?
    Some plumeria coming into season will bloom first then put out leaves. If your plant has been in a pot for almost a year I'd let it bloom and water it and keep it warm.
    If it drops the buds, the roots are not set yet.
    Stuart

• kasiec
    11 years ago

Hi Clare - Tropic gave you great advice and to me your cutting look promising. Instead of watering the pot, just mist it often. A year is a long time I know. One of my center cutting took 1 1/2 year to root. Again, it's a chance of wanting to see the bloom and maybe loosing the cutting OR behead the inflo and let the cutting have energy to get established...

Also, is your greenhouse mist or dry? I have a Harbor Freight gh and my hubby hooked up water and electricity to the green house. He installed a misting hose in there and I can set the timer on how often and how long I want the mister running. A big bucket of water in the greenhouse is good for humidity as well.

Good luck and keep us posted and happy growing!

Kasie

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tropic - I have had a few leaves up at the top but not much more than that then it went dormat. I will just wait and see what happens and play it by ear.

Kasie - It has a misting system but I don't have it hooked up. I just mist everything by hand every couple of days. I will do the bucket of water thing too. Thanks for the information and advice.
    Clare

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

Hi Clare,
    Nice to have a neighbor (sort of) on the forum! I'm up in Walnut Creek (East Bay). Since you have cool temps in the evening on the coast it may be worth putting them on a heat mat and turning it on only at night if you haven't tried that. Bottom heat is important for rooting plumies, according to the experts here. Though I'm inclined to agree with Stuart that a year in a pot should be enough time to have rooted.

Good luck!

Rachel

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rachel - Hi from Santa Cruz mountains! Thanks for the suggestion and information. I may take them into the garage workshop and try that next winter. Don't have electricity in my greenhouse, which is at the end of the 2.5 acres.
    Clare

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting