Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

The BEST smelling Plumeria this year is...

No-Clue
10 years ago

Queen Amber!! At least for me that is. :)

Her sweet coconut peachy fragrance is enough to make you high. One sniff and you will feel like the fish is a little bigger, the beer is a little colder and the grass is a little greener. LOL. And this is from a very very young plant so I can only imagine what she will be like when she's more mature. I was going to wait and get a 5 gallon but she was going so fast that I didn't want to take any chances.

Scent aside, this is one stunning plumeria. I have never seen such colors... so hard to describe and even harder to capture on camera. But I promise you when you see her in person, you just can't help but want to take her home! These photos just don't do her justice.

{{gwi:1187431}}

{{gwi:1185995}}

{{gwi:1187432}}

Comments (28)

• rox146
    10 years ago

from whom did you get such a beauty? roxanne

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Rox,

This is Jungle Jack's new plant. Call up John and see if he has any left? I know they were going fast at the Open House.

• rox146
    10 years ago

I have a friend going soon and maybe he has a bit of room in his car...mahalo, roxanne

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Ack! This is why I've been avoiding this forum! Laugh.
    Congrats on an awesome find. I hope to one day sniff her majesty. ;)

-Robert

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Very nice. I think my best smelling so far this year is Pink Pansy.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Lynn, nice subtle colors on her, and the scent is a bonus.

Edi M. just bloomed for me and now she's tied with VC Lutica for best-smelling plumeria. Incredible buttery, peachy, floral scent--heavenly! And the blooms last equally long on EM and VCL, too.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope you find one Roxanne!

Robert you know you want one. LOL

K, I heard Pink Pansy smells wonderful... but I don't have her yet. I hope to sniff her one day.

Jandey - she is a beauty alright. I don't have either of the two you mentioned. They sound awesome! I hope to smell them too!

• rox146
    10 years ago

Oddly enuf...I have 2 pink pansys from 2 different sources. The blooms look the same and 1 smells a lot more than the other...hhhmmm??? roxanne

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roxanne,

Could it be one is more mature than the other? I know I was not impressed with CA Sunset's fragrance last year even though she bloomed her head off. In fact, I was so unimpressed that I was going to let her go until James convinced me to keep her. Well then she bloomed again this year and what a difference. She smells just like peaches!! I'm sooo glad I listened to the wise man and kept her! So in my experience a year can make a huge difference in scent.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Mahalos, I will wait and see. They are both multi tipped good size trees in pots. How many do you have now? roxanne

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm afraid I'm back up to 85 plants. I was doing so well... cutting back and then bam! I went to see John T, Jungle Jack, Upland and Island Plumeria and the rest is history. Sigh...

I'm still hunting for some more red and orange. Then I will stop. ;)

This post was edited by No-Clue on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 12:59

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

great pictures. Love that one.

"im still hunting for more red and orange, then I will stop"

thats what we all say. it's not that easy.

Mike

• rox146
    10 years ago

I would love to go to Upland someday and JJ's. What is John D.? roxanne

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Mike... what you don't believe me? ;)

Rox, I mean to say John Tarvin (he's Bud's friend). Very sweet man! I bought two Wildfire and Saigon Moon from him.

• rox146
    10 years ago

I am still blown away by the memory of getting to go to Bud's to see his trees....WOW!!!!

• nativec
    10 years ago

Lynn-I'm going to put WOW here and just know it applies to all the lovelies you posted. Your blooms are looking great!!!

I'm thrilled that I picked up Queen Amber as well, its such a hard color to capture!

Congrats!!!

Nicole

• pcput
    10 years ago

SOOOOOOOOO Pretty. Even better with a nice smell. :) Peg

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Adding another photo of Queen Amber in heat.

{{gwi:1187433}}What a beauty!

• isobea
    10 years ago

This year my favorite is JJ's Mona Lisa. I've found the fragrance to be extraordinarily strong in the evening when the flowers are just about to open. Hard to describe but absolutely wonderful! Also, what a beauty. The colors are more intense than the picture shows (hard to capture).It's still a young plant - can't wait for next year.
    Iso

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    Queen Amber wet pic looks a lot like Aurora B when she fades.
    GORGEOUS, like the next best thing to AB...
    Thanks for sharing :P

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone!!!

Queen Amber is gorgeous Lynn!!

I think my " Best " smelling Plumeria is my JL Hawaiian Fire. It has a very strong fragrance of roses to me and its so hard for me to really detect fragrance. So, I know this one is one of the best smelling blooms I have. The second would be Vera Cruz Rose. She is delightful too!!!

If you were to ask about any other plants being fragrant.. I would have to say HANDS DOWN... Tuberose... It's just amazing... I can smell them as I walk out my back door . I think it might be a Plumeria, but its the Tuberose.

Thanks for the great thread!!!

Laura

• rox146
    10 years ago

vera cruz rose is mine...roxanne

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What's tuberose Laura? I love fragrance! Where do I get these?

• cbadcali
    10 years ago

Hi. I have two this year that are delish! Afrique from JJ and Goldilocks from JL. both are fragrances that are heavenly. this is the first year Goldilocks has bloomed and she is definitely well worth the wait. Wonderful fragrance, beautiful color and shape and they last forever. Sorry, no pictures, but I can highly recommend both of these lovelies.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Lynn.. This picture was just taken a few days ago...

Here is an old post about Tuberose. The link is below....

I bought mine from a seller on EBay. Lol.. Sounds funny when we were just talking about " eBay.. ". But some like singles and some like doubles.

Can't remember the name of the seller... Sorry!!!

Both are fragrant and are usually sent as bulbs, so depending on your season.. I bought mine in March... Planted and they were blooming in May.

Hi Rox!! I love VCR too!! OMG. She smells wonderful...

Hi cbadcali... Sounds delightful... Thanks for the heads up!!! I have heard great things about goldilocks and I will look to see pics of Afrique!!! They sound amazing!!!

Nice to see you!!!

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuberose

• rox146
    10 years ago

at our other house we had DBL. Tuberose....FABULOUS!!!! Some do make leis out of them in the islands. roxanne

• rox146
    10 years ago

ran out to grab a shot of Vera Cruz Rose

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Oh Laura,
    Can't get over how GORGEOUS your HF is, must be loving the southern hospitality/charm there in your area :).
    When I look at your picture and its vibrant, hot colors it reminds me a lot of Aurora Borealis when it first opens with its vibrant colors.... Such a gorgeous plumies!!

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations