Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

Kevin's Red

rox146
10 years ago

I was given 2 nice cuttings of Kevin's Red from the 82 year guy who got me into these ... It is a wonderful flower and long lasting with a nice long inflo stalk. The scent is medium sweet floral I think. It is not such a picky red. It kept it's inflos and bloomed during the rooting process and shot leaves out all over...happy plant. roxanne

Comments (25)

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Where can I get one?

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

let me ask my friend, he has in son-in-law now selling cuttings from the place up the coast where he has 50 in the ground, all assorted that he brought from Hawaii 20 years ago. All his trees are cool, including Daisy Wilcox, but he only has 1 Kevin's Red....you are in SoCal, right? roxanne

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

p.s. this shows the daintiness of the inflo

• ProudMamaSD
    10 years ago

That's a beautiful photo and a lovely flower, enjoy!

• ProudMamaSD
    10 years ago

That's a beautiful photo and a lovely flower, enjoy!

• georgecc
    10 years ago

I love it, Roxanne, and I'm nearby in Simi. Let me know if they want to sell a cutting or even the tree LOL. Definitely interested.
    thanks

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

you need to come to the luau and meet him and his son-in-law...we are only 45 min. from Simi...Aug. 24th

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is the back side of Kevin's Red just to tempt you.. :-)

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Cruel temptation! It's a beauty. Thanks so much for the luau invitation! If I'm not out of town, I'm there!

Kevin'd Red reminds me of a red I have, it's one of my favorite plumies.It was supposed to be Pop's Red, but I don't think it is. It has a spicy scent though. It's not doing well this year, so I'm worried about it. Can't wait to see Kevin.

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought Pop's from Matthew this spring, 3 tips and no blooms, next year. I read on one of these things the best 2 reds...pop's and deuvaschelle (sp?)....still looking for the latter. This is my Derricks UofH from May.

The luau is at 1:00 so people can smell the plumies. Adults only other than our 2 whippets who will be wearing leis. roxanne

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Sounds great!

I'm excited about the 2 UofH Oranges I have now. Got them from Derrick, but no inflos yet.

I picked up a Pop's Red from Matthew recently. Only one tip, but had an inflo. Can't wait (as you can see from the Bill Moragne Cam, I'm not good at the waiting part!).

I got a Duvachelle cutting last year. Rooted now, but no inflo yet. It's supposed to be a beauty. No inflos yet on my Wildfire either - reds have been tough on me this year. Hopefully that will change!

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

you read how my Wildfire has blooms on each tip, right? Happy Dance!!!!!

• georgecc
    10 years ago

I read, teary-eyed I was, reading it! Last year I had two inflos and they were amazingly beautiful. Still hoping for an inflo this year. Really hoping!

• Kimo
    10 years ago

Roxanne,
    Loving the red realness of Kevins red. Duvauchelle Red is GORGEOUS and smells really sweet almost edible and intense to me. If your going to get one you may want to get a rooted one as it use to be infamous for rotting and not rooting, worse than Hilo Beauty. I water rooted mine in 2004 and it took forever. For some reason mine has tip issues, could be that she has been pot bound for too many years. I think because of the coastal temps and tip issues it does not profusely bloom, but may explode in your.
    Here is a pic from its first blooms 2007, took 3 yrs before it bloomed for the first time and some seasons there are no inflos even though the plant is 9ft tall and branched out well.

So try to find a rooted are grafted one, hopefully with an inflo.
    Florida Colors has grafted.

Thanks for sharing K Red :)

Cheers

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Love the reds too!!!

GORGEOUS !!!!

beautiful pics!!!

Take care,

Laura

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

on the list for next year beach plant....mahalo

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

STUNNING!! You have a gorgeous collection! So many blooming plants... you're so blessed!

Simi, I thought Matthew has Kevin's Red? Or it could have been Keywest Red. I am so confused. LOL

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

on the aka list I have from the San Diego Plumeria group...separately listed are Kelvins Red and Kevin's Red...2 different looking blooms too....

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Lynn, Matthew has Key West Red - really nice too.

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Roxanne, here's the one I have that I can't identify. Was supposed to be Pop's. Redder than the pics, spicy scent. Pic is from last year. I put my mismatched socks on its tips early this year when it got so cold, but it still got a couple of black tips. This jumps out from across the yard, stands out from even my darkest pinks. Still waiting for an inflo, though, this year.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Shoot George that's gorgeous beyond words! You got exquisite taste my friend. Upland has Pop's Red but they are too pricey for me.

I'm in the market for some reds myself. If I can't find some at JJ's I might have to go see Matthew.

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Lynn, it's much nicer in person. It's like velvet. Gorgeous. But worried about the tree this year.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear that George. I hope she will pull through. It would be devastating to lose such a beauty! What other reds do you have?

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Lynn,

I have that red above, and Wildfire, Duke (not bloomed yet), Cerise, Pop's (not bloomed yet), Hilo Beauty (finally popped an inflo this week), Scott Pratt and another really nice mystery red. Also rooted cuttings: Duvachelle (not bloomed yet), Siam Red, Raspberry (blooming soon).

• rox146
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What is so interesting and unique to Kevin's Red is the VERY delicate way the blooms are spaced on the inflo. They are so skinny and delicate looking....the color is great and smell as well. roxanne