Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Let's talk about JJ's Rhonda

No-Clue
11 years ago

At this very moment I have to say JJ's Rhonda is my ALL TIME FAVORITE!

The flowers are gorgeous! Huge, bloom like crazy, compact, easy to care for, but most of all the fragrant is to die for! To me Rhonda is perfection. I am in awe.

I love it so much I think I am going to have to get another one!

{{gwi:1187638}}

{{gwi:1187639}}

{{gwi:1174562}}

Comments (27)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

It is very nice!! What's the scent like?

Mike

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Gorgeous flowers!
    Yea, don't leave us scent lovers hanging! Is she sweet, spicy, perfumey, fruity, etc.? You know what I mean! :)

-Robert

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,

It's very sweet... like coconut candies sweet. I adore the scent! So much so that I have to fight this overwhelming urge not to eat the flowers! Now I sound like a freak. LOL

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Robert, I'm like you... right now I'm all about scent. And Rhonda's scent is truly magical. I wish you can smell it.

It's strong enough that you don't even have to stick your nose into the flowers. I can be out puttering around and still smell her beauty.

Even DH likes it and he's not very much into flowers.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Dang you! Now I'm going to have to add yet another one to my wish list. Laugh.
    I now have 9 that I religiously bring to the front porch when I get home from work at 5pm to catch the last rays of light. I'm using Turface in my mix and these pots are getting heavy! ;)

-Robert

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

She's gorgeous... I was thinking maybe I wouldn't go tomorrow as my hubby has been sick and I've been home with him, but now that I see such a lovely flower and there is already so much incentive to go tomorrow- done deal. ;o)

Well done, that is one happy and very healthy flower.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Robert I have been planting mine in the Gritty Mix too and they are heavy!! And I move my plants to catch sun, or to avoid the water sprinklers... so I hear your pain. But it's so worth it!

Yes add Rhonda to your list you will love it!

Proudmama,

I wish I can take all the credit, but with a brown thumb this is all JJ"s doing. When I got her a month ago she was already blooming like crazy! She's doing so well that I'm afraid to move her out of her spot! LOL

Glad to hear you're coming to the Open House. You need a break from taking care of hubby. Now you must reward yourself with a plant or two. ;)

• summerof66
    11 years ago

Wow! That's a beauty! The scent sounds awesome, too.
    If I ever run across one of those beauties it's gonna be mine!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My sister picked one up at JJ's Open House today and so did Bud!! How awesome is that?? LOL

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

I got two Rhondas along with a Taj Mahal, so I was impressed too.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

You guys are killing me.. I dont have Rhonda.. But i do have Taj Mahal... Sounds like Rhonda is a beauty.

Bill.. LOL TWO? : )

Thanks for making me want more.. My DH will have me commited soon... Guess i will have to go to alternate plans to order.. LOL...

I just bought Giant Aussie Orange .. so excited about this one... YES!!

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

N-C, those two top photos look like they could be of two different flowers. Love the top photo showing wide, reflexed petals. Must be gorgeous in person to tempt both Bill and Bud!

11 years ago

No Clue,

Just had to take another peek and say how beautiful your Rhonda is..

Simply gorgeous!!!

Laura

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura, she's still blooming too. My second inflo now got a new flower as well. So two inflo out of 3 tips. Maybe I will get lucky and the 3rd will form soon! I'm very impressed by how long the blooms last too.

When I have more room I'm going to get another one! LOL

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was just thinking even with our cool temps, Rhonda still popped such beautiful colors for me. Imagine her in the hotter and more humid climate how much more intense it would be? Maybe Laura will buy it and let us know. ;)

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Guys,
    I also bought Rhonda this spring...got it before all the hype. Mine is around 18in or so with 4 tips. No signs of inflos yet but would rather have it grow strong and healthy before it blooms anyhow.

Hey Bill, I Like your style! i have done the same with a few of my plumerias.

Hi Laura,
    giant Aussie Orange huh? I thought you were done all ready! What happened? I don't want to here that your DH had you commited, but it happens I promise to care for all your plumerias! LOL!

Andrew

• isobea
    11 years ago

Summerof66,
    I don't know where you live, but my girlfriend picked one up at the Oceanside Home Depot for about $20 (that was about 1 1/2 or 2 weeks ago). Smaller pot, but definitely JJ tags.
    Good luck on your hunt,
    Iso

PS: It's blooming, too!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

lovesplants I KNOW! I now remember why I quit hanging out on the plumeria forum, it's hard on my bank account. I love coconut so now I MUST, simply must have this one.
    Drats!

I do not use gritty mix, perlite is a non-renewable resource. A lot of it comes from China. Mixing the native sand of our yard, compost from the compost pile and some free mulch from the city works fabulous. I don't have to use products shipped around the world, or search for weird things not sold locally. Of course the climate here is a big help. Hmm, the island was filled in after the 1900 storm so I guess I am really using stuff that used to be at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. You can build a sandcastle in the backyard.
    Tally HO!

• pcput
    11 years ago

Iso - What a lucky duck !!! Great find !!! I bet your one of the people who fall in, you know what and smell like a a a "Plumeria" LOL

beachplant - Boy I know just what you mean !!! It's real hard not to add another one to the list when it's this pretty. Aren't they all ??? Peg

11 years ago

Hi Beachplants!!

Where do you live? I was thinking down in Florida..but now you have me thinking elsewhere? Sounds like a wonderful spot.

Glad you can use all native products..

I dont use perlite in the Gritty mix.. It consist of granite, turface and Fir bark. Some of the other mixes use perlite. I understnd that it would be difficult to use items from around the world.. so good to have them available locally. I can find all my items locally and thankfully, i dont have to have anything sent to me!! That is a big relief!!!

You are so right about seeing what others have and see how beautiful they are... I am sitting on my hands and i wont buy Rhonda, even tho i think it is a beautiful tree and the color is to die for.. Sigh!!! I am happy with what i have... : )

Take care,

Laura

• isobea
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I stopped by our "wonderful" Home Depot today and none of the JJ plants (big or small) from the original shipment were left (and there had been a lot!). Now, inquiring minds want to know, "where did they go?" Turns out they let the plants dry out too much. Somebody said, "They need water", and then 2 or 3 people watered them that same day. Most of them rotted! It just breaks your heart! In my opinion they should never be allowed to 'take care' of any of John's plants again!
    A very sad good night to all of you,
    Iso

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Iso, same thing happened at the Encinitas HD!! I actually argued w/ the folks working there b/c they left all 20 plants inside and was watering them every day!! They were tipping over, branches breaking off. Two came right out of the pot which meant the root balls broke off. I almost had a heart attack! I was so upset I reported it to Jon... not sure what he could have done at that point. But still it was hard to see that. :(

• isobea
    11 years ago

No-Clue, I know exactly what you are talking about. I also argued with the Encinitas HD staff the day the plants arrived and they put them inside. Shouldn't they be held responsible? I hope they didn't return the dead plants to John for a refund...
    Iso

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I live in Galveston, somewhere near Texas.
    Our big box stores get plumeria and stick them in the full sun, it`s so hot by the time they get them and then sitting on the pavement that daily watering doesn`t harm them. Noone had plumeria this year though. Even Houston Garden Centers only had a very few.

Living on an island our choices are slim, noone carries turface, fir bark is only obtainable from the petstore at a price that would prohibit use when repotting anything over a gallon size. I`ve muddled along for years mixing weird blends for my plants, like I said I am lucky from a climate stand point, the plants are way less picky about what they grow in. Plus if they can grow in this stuff in the yard they can grow anywhere LOL!

Tally Ho!

11 years ago

Hi Tally HO!!!

Galveston sounds lovely!!!

You are lucky to have such beauty there as i have seen pictures of your beautiful island..

I liked the story of your name.. Way to cute!!!

Take care,

Laura

• slave2thefur
    11 years ago

the reason JJ's plants are generally inside is because they are next to the houseplants and exotics, which are higher priced plants than the outdoor plants. Got in a big discussion with a HD Garden manager over this - it's how they choose to market them.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH