Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasplum

do these cuttings look ok?

texasplum
10 years ago

Hey how are yall? Newby here and looking for a few pointers.:-) first of all let me say thank you to all of you sharing info and tips. I have been doing a lot of reading the past week and have learned a lot of things. Now to but this new info to the test! I have three rooted plumies already and love those so me and my mom made an order from Derrick. Kind of second guessing that after what I have read....but too late now. We received the cuttings and man they were big and nice. I am worried about them though. Derrick told us to put the ends in perlite and give them 10 days. Well checked on them after 4 and some were starting to rot...perlite was dry..just stuck the ends a couple inches and left them. Cut the worst ones back to good wood but wondering if I should do it on the rest....I have pics of them but not sure how to post pics. Sorry for the long read! Thanks

Comments (14)

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Hey there! Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you!!! In your first picture they both look good to me. In the second picture that one looks like it's still a bit fresh, has that one been in the perlite too?

Maybe others can give advice on the 2nd one but I would say you have to at minimum let it callus longer or maximum re-cut and then callus.

If you are near San Antonio / Austin, we are having a small group get together soon to talk plumies, exchange plants, etc. if you would like to come!

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the welcome !. Yes I live just north of Austin in leander and am looking forward to getting these rooted. I'm glad they look ok just wondering if I should recut or not... hope I don't cause I'm ready to get them rooted in a week or so. At least try! I will have to try and make the get together sometime. Thanks for the invite.Some have started to pull back in like this one

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

They look okay to me.

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes all of these were in perlite

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

To be honest they all look pretty darn good! I never get cuttings that look that good ever! So you're way ahead of the game. :)

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good deal! Hope they end up rooting. Going to try some in the gritty mix ( just haven't been able to find the pine fines) and some in half soil and half perlite. Heres what the worst looked like before I cute the rot off.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi.

I buy large bags of fir bark for my Gritty Mix. If you need some I would say to go to PetSmart and buy the Reptibark by ZooMed. It comes in all sizes of bags. It's pricy, but worth it. Then if you really like the fir bark. Look fior bonsai societies and look for where hey find the fines. I have Found the natures soil conditioner at Home Depot. That is Pine Fines. Look there too. I personally like the Fir bark. Orchid bark is good too. It comes in small sizes. You may have to sift all of them though.

But for rooting. I would go straight to PetSmart and buy the Reptibark!!

Hope this helps.

Laura

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

The recuts look good to me. Did you clean your cutters with wood alcohol or possibly infected the clean wood? I would dip in rooting hormone and let them callus in a humidity chamber for about two weeks then dip again in root hormone and plant in perlite. Stabilize it from movement, place in a warm, part sun spot on warm concrete, water once and forget about it.

Look for posts by "citizen insane" about how to callus. Best of luck with them.

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Laura I will look there. I will say this for derrick I sent him the pics and asked how to save them. He sent me an email saying he would replace all that had rotted! Should I cut this off before rooting or leave it on to flower if it root?

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Welcome, texasplum! You and I are practically neighbors!

I agree that the first two cuttings and the last one of your first set of pics look great, ready to root. The second one is not callused yet. It's great that Derrick will replace the rotted ones for you.

Honestly, sometimes we do everything right and the cutting rots anyway. That's just how it goes sometimes. Elucas and I have decided that once the rot starts it's almost impossible to salvage a cutting. Maybe the very tip hasn't gotten the pathogen, but usually it's a lost cause. Sorry!

You're starting off on the right foot, though, in reading up and learning from our mistakes, LOL! And if you don't mind the occasional mislabel/wrong name, then Derrick is not a bad place to start with purchases as his cuttings are big and well-priced.

We're meeting up in San Marcos on August 4th at 10:30am if you'd like to meet us. My email on this site is all wrong now, but I'll post again about the meeting later.

• texasplum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to hear there are a few of us close by. Hopefully the rotted ones that I cut will take if not hope I can get the replacements to! What part of town are you in? My friends down in corpus are the ones that got me started on plumies. There have a few big beautiful trees in the ground and they are doing awesome. Wish we could plant in the ground here.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

I'm in north Austin, and there's at least one house in my neighborhood with a big white in the ground year-round, so I know it can be done even here. They just need to be put into a sheltered area and covered during our freezes. When I have one big enough I'm going to try it myself.

Corpus has a very active plumeria society, too, and I hear the botanical gardens have some great specimens.