Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atwinpack2

tell me it will live!

atwinpack2
10 years ago

So, I'm not a gardening guru by any means and just need some reassurance my plumeria will live.
Recently I purchased a golden retrieve puppy....I'm sure that says enough...
So Isis my golden decided she wanted to play with the stick that is in the pot with my plumeria....along with the stick Isis decided that the leaves and top of the plumeria looked appetizing as well! Which, of course, leaves me with a plumeria stick. NO LEAVES, CHEWED TOP.
Any chance of my plumeria or dog living?
Jk about the dog, still love my plant and garden serial killer!

Comments (16)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

If the roots are still good, just cut the top off and repot it, without the stick. Give it a good dose of superthrive, it should send out new tips from the sides. Might even be better than before. Barbra

• PickledPink
    10 years ago

I had this same problem with deer when I move to Cali last year. I had jut bought my first couple of rooted plumeria and within a week, the deer ended up on my porch and ate all the leaves. Within a month, the leaves were back and I was thrilled. I used netting around them at night, but just when my plants were back in full force, some coyote chased a critter into my plants and because I was lazy and didn't get up to fix it at 3am, the deer finished them off by sunrise. I was so sad and freaked out, thinking they were done for. I didn't know if I should water, leave them alone or what.

I babied them all winter and sure enough, they went nuts in April. The deer and/or coyote even took a chunk out of a branch but they all made it back.

Here they are today....I probably won't see blooms, no hint of any inflos, but at least they're still kickin'! The second plant in was what was left of a chewed up stick...has way more leaves than it did in August last year. Good luck! As for your pup, I think that if she didn't swallow much, she may be ok! Vets usually field those calls happily in my experience.

• PickledPink
    10 years ago

By "babied", I meant that I read up on plumeria as much as possible and left them as dry as I could stand and even though they got a bit of "freezer burn" before I realized that California does, in fact, have places with freezing temps (go figure, thought I was safe after moving from Montana...) I moved them into my garage and pretty much ignored them until night temps stayed above 55ish. Not sure where you live in california, but I'd say treat them as normal until temps stay consistently lower than "they" like but remember that the roots need to figure out how to compensate for their sudden loss of leaves. That's what I did to baby them :-)

• atwinpack2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both Hunnybunny2 and PickledPink. I have hope that it may survive, but only if Isis gets enough playtime and remains too tired to play seek and destroy!
    PickledPink, I love your pictures, thought I'd send one of mine. The one on the left is the Serial plant killer,I call her Isis!
    Cheers,
    Atwinpack2

• PickledPink
    10 years ago

Haha! She looks so guilty here, straight up mug shot! I love Goldens (as much as the name Isis!), such great pups! I had one when I was a kid and she was the best, along with my Malamute- now I have two mini Schnauzers who seem to be afraid of my plants and I'm thankful for that, lol. I'd say your stick looks fine! I would water when dry until leaves come back and then treat it appropriately once fall/winter rolls around. I have also decided that Superthrive is actually worth buying, I use it on everything now. It's easy to find in HD or Lowe's. I love this pic!

• PickledPink
    10 years ago

So here's an experiment I did with another branch that was chewed in half. I didn't expect anything and you can see where I cut part of it off...it actually grew leaves! Never expected that, not in a million years. I've realized that these beauties are actually somewhat perfect in the sense that they make even the most non-plumeria experts like me have faith that I might be able to do it! I am shocked that this piece of a stick did anything because I forgot all about it and just put it against the house. Watered when I watered my amaryllis, in pots, and she sprouted leaves a few weeks ago. Kind of late in the game, but didn't expect it at all. This was a piece of branch from that second plant I mentioned earlier. It's actually supposed to be "Kaneohe Sunrise".

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I have plumeria broken and chewed off all the time. Between 3 dogs, bigfoot, chickens and tropical weather it`s rare to have one not broken.
    It looks pretty good actually. I would just leave it alone, water as usual and keep it out of full sun until it starts to get some leaves going. I bet you end up with a wonderful branched plant.
    Cute dog!
    Tally HO!

• atwinpack2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted everyone that responded to know that it turns out Isis is a much better gardener than I am.
    Also, a special thanks to a special friend and animal activist Peggy.... I now have a new plumeria(still in the rooting process) that was sent to keep Isis safe and plumerias growing around the world!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Awwwww....she didn't do that? Did she ? ;-)

I think she looks more like a " protector" now.. Lol!

Love Golden Retrievers !

I would agree... It looks good to me!!!!

Great job!!!

Peg is a super animal lover and a great person!!! I'm glad you received something to keep Isis company as well as your cutie!!!

How about a large bone? LOL!!!!

Have fun!!!

Laura

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Isis - meet Maxwell.
    They would make great companions!

((I once again will apologize for using my gawd-awful cellphone for pic taking. I'm just too lazy to get out the real camera... still lazy I should say, since this photo was from last year. :)

• atwinpack2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maxwell is gorgeous!! They would make a great couple. I'm not sure how she feels about long distant relationships.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

atwinpack - Maxwell is sitting on his predecessors grave.

This is Quincy at 7 weeks. RIP

And Frazier. We had to have him put down 3 years ago. Cancer.

Before Frazier was Murphy. As you can see we are a Golden Retriever family. 36 years of marriage and we've had a Golden for all of them with the exception of short periods between Murphy and Frazier.

I love Isis. She could sleep in our bed anytime. Just like the rest of them. :)

• pcput
    10 years ago

Hi atwinpack2
    So glad to find out the cutting made the cross country trip ok. Had to keep Isis from getting into trouble for her missed identifying it as a play stick. She is too pretty to not be in Mom's good graces. She'll learn to be the protector instead of destroyer :) Looks like your 1st one is doing great and non the worst for being chewed on. Hope the new one roots for you too.
    Peg

• atwinpack2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have to show puppy pix too.
    This is Isis as a pup.

• atwinpack2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And this is Baron, Isis's predecessor.
    I lost him to lung cancer. RIP.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    10 years ago

Oh, what a beauty Baron was! He looks to be contemplating life as he looks out over the ocean. I swear, I'm in tears now!

But, I have to say, that puppy pic of Isis beats any that I have. She was an absolute dollbaby at that age!

BTW, that block wall looks perfect for planting plumeria all along it. :)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County