Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerof66

Hi y'all...and what do I do with this crazy thing?

summerof66
11 years ago

Hello All from another plumeria lover in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I fell in love with plumerias when I went to Maui on my honeymoon 15 years ago and finally decided to take the plunge and purchase some plants after a return trip for my 10th anniversary. After I got back home I realized that there was no way I could continue to live a plumeria free life-lol. I went to my beloved Southwood Nursery and scored a JJ California Sunset and a JJ Delightful both ready to burst into bloom.

Unfortunately, just because I love plumies doesn't mean I have a green thumb ;-) The blooms I've been able to produce since then have been way more due to luck than gardening skill, which brings me to why I'm asking for your help and expertise: My Delightful has become a lanky, misshapen monster through a combination of me using the wrong fertilizer and it taking a yearly topple from the Ooooooooooooklahoma wind that comes sweeping down the plains. Sadly, every time it's branched out it's gone over in a storm and lost a branch. What should I do with it? Should I cut it off at the joint below the leaves and try to root the cutting? I gotta do something, it's getting so tall I have nowhere to store it in the winter! Thanks in advance to everyone for their help :)

Comments (13)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Hi there! I am a newbie so I can't offer any sound advice but I just wanted to say hello. That is a tall tree and hardy too to survive your OOOOklahoma wind! :)

• summerof66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi No-clue! Nice to meet another newbie. Yeah, that tree has to be pretty hardy to survive the OK wind, summer heat and my brown thumb ;-)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

I two have a brown thumb! But so far so good! I have yet killed any Plumies. Strangely enough they are hardier than all the other plants/flowers I have killed.

How long have you had Delightful?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

This is the first year I took cuttings off the 4 plants I bought in 2010. It like to kill me, but where I cut the plant it has sprouted new branches, and looks so much fuller. I also had cuttings to trade. I don't know it may be too late to cut your plant, and you might have to wait until the spring. I am by no means an expert, I am sure someone will be able to answer the question. Is it too late to take cuttings? Barbra

• summerof66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've managed to keep it alive for 5 years now. I've only manged to get it to bloom twice, though. No sign of inflos this year :(

• summerof66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Barbara! I guess that's why I haven't pruned it down yet. I'm afraid it'll kill me! I can't cut my babies!

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

First off hey neighbor. I knew there were more of us around here. Robert and I are from tulsa and kenny is from okc so this is pretty cool to have you here!! by chance are you the other person grabbing up all of Southwoods JJ's with us Lol. They still have a few left and a couple bigger ones also. This may sound bold so sit down. I would cut it about 18" from the tip and every 18" from there until its about 2 or 3 feet tall. Then you can root the pieces and have more. It should branch from the trunk. I have delightful. Its about 3 feet tall and pushing an inflo now. Oh and if you interested I know of a nursery here with a few Miami rose about 4 feet tall.

Mike

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Hi, Summer.

Wow, Mike, your Okie plumie crew keeps growing! :)

I would root the tip and middle cuttings, too, and expect new growth from the trunk, but I would wait until spring. My question for the experts would be what to do about the "branching sections" for lack of a better term. Root from those sections?

• summerof66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike, nice to meet some other Okie plumie lovers! Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Somehow I just knew y'all were going to tell me to cut it into pieces. Yikes, I'm scared-lol. Should I try to make the cuts and root it now or should I do as Moonie suggests and wait until spring?

I have to admit, I did go to Southwoods and buy another plumie last week. A miniature Divine this time. Didn't want to take the chance of growing another monster-lol. I've also been eyeballing a Scentsational in full bloom. It smells good enough to eat but I'm not ready to spend $80 on a plumie. I went back today just to smell it and talk myself out of it for the 3rd time. I'd love to have the name of any local nursery that sells plumies!

Moonie, thanks for the advice ! I appreciate getting help from plumeria growers with more experience and know-how than I have.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Hi Summer!
    Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear from another Tulsa plumie lover.
    It's funny because I too went to Southwood today on my lunch break and sniffed the $80 Scentsational but also passed. Laugh.
    Mike and I can give you tips on getting your plumies to bloom.
    Maybe we should start a Tulsa Plumeria Club? :)

-Robert

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

i'd cut it at the 2 joints, and then cut those two pieces in half.

root the 4 cuttings, and let the trunk sprout new tips.

• summerof66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to you both Robert & Houston, for the welcome and for the advice. Maybe my plumies have hope after all!

Robert, I find it very amusing that we'll both drive over to Southwood to smell the Scentsational but neither one of us wants to pull the trigger on an $80 plumeria. Somebody with more disposable cash is going to snatch that beauty away from both of us-lol. I think a Tulsa Plumeria Club would be awesome! We're 3 strong now, I'm sure there are more of us here in Tulsa. Somebody has to be buying up all the plumeria stock in town :)

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice. Any tips that anyone can offer to help me keep my plants low growing, multi-branching and oft blooming would be greatly appreciated!

• itsmeveve
    11 years ago

I was searching for a photo to show what my plumeria looked like when it was a 12 inch cutting and saw your plant. I think I may have the brother to it! I just had to chime in to add mine! I have just decided today that I will chop it up and make 3 plants out of it. I am not trying to hijack a thread I just had to let you know your not alone! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1187879}}