Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatotomata

Newbie's questions

tomatotomata
11 years ago

I looked for FAQ and didn't see any, so I'm hoping you all can help me. I killed my first plumeria, and don't want to repeat the experience. I've been lurking, and keep coming up with more questions, so here goes:

(By the way, I am in S. CA right by the beach, zone 10)

1. What is "inflo"

2. I see reference to things like "JJ metallica" - is that the Jungle Jack everyone keeps raving about? I live near Vista, so I'll be checking him out.

3. Should I plant in pots or in the ground.

4. If pots, recommended potting mix? I'm familiar with "gritty mix"; but what is "Jack's mix"?

5. Sun exposure - I want to put them on the N side of a E/W running fence. Sound good?

6. Best varieties to start with?

7. Grafted?

8. Best time to plant? I'd like to pick it out while it's blooming, is that ok?

Wow. Didn't realize I had quite so many questions.

I don't expect answers to everything, but a little guidence and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• Kenny
    11 years ago

Hi Tomato,

Welcome to the forum! You'll fit right in here! I'll start you off with some easy answers...I'm sure others will chime in and offer you useful advices.

1. inflo is short of inflorescence (aka flower stalk)

2. I think you meant JL Metallica. JL here means Jim Little, and yes JJ is Jungle Jack. Another notable one is ET, which is Elizabeth Thornton.

• tdogdad
    11 years ago

1. inflo is inflorescence or a flower stalk. 2. certain premium plants are given names and often registered. Metallica is a purple/pink flower if you enter name in the search above it will give you places to look as well as any questions. 3 in Calif you can plant in either. Ground grows bigger and into trees, pots are slower. 4 Jack Morgan's mix which i use is 1 part Big R, 1 part Turf n tee and 2 parts pumice all available from Chris Roy at Orange County Farm Supply in Orange. 5 Where you live the more sun the better. 6. Celadine, Guillot's sunset and Samoan Fluff do very well in the coastal area. Most exotics will grow if cared for properly. Do not over water- the main reason for deaths (root rot). 7 I prefer rooted to grafted but both give you a one year start over rooting your own cuttings. 8. Now for flowering plants but transplanting can shock them to drop flowers. I would plant the pot in the ground and then transplant as soon as flowers are finished. You can also check into Aloha Plumerias in north Leucadia but John at JJs has a wonderful stock of Thai varieties, which if you buy, leave in the pot for at least a week to get the plant adjusted to the weather outside the greenhouse. If no flowers, then transplant and use B-1 and water or superthrive and water or both for all transplanting (I add seaweed extract too). Remember, your two biggest threats are freezing temperatures (rare in 10) and overwatering. Like cactus, these plants like to go almost totally dry and then be drenched. Constant watering creates a climate that rots roots. Very fast draining soil is essential and do not mother hen the plants- neglect is better than too much poking, touching, moving, etc. Mist leaves in the early morning or late afternoon but not at mid day. Don't fertilize on very hot days. The rest is easy.. Bill

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

tomatotomata-
    Bill is one of the resident experts here, as you will find from searching past and new posts on this forum. We are all very lucky to have him (Thanks Bill!).

I second his recommendation of Celadine, which is THE Hawaiian lei flower. That was one of my firsts and is a great grower. It seems more tolerant than many other cultivars. Another good one is Jungle Jack's Divine, which is a miniature. It takes a bit more water than others (but still, not much).

One of the golden rules here is "if you think it needs water, wait a week" :)
    Best of luck, let us know what you end up getting!!

Rachel

Also, Superthrive is great stuff! Available at most garden centers, Home Depot, etc. Just ignore the cracked-out packaging, which is in serious need of proof-reading...

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Welcome Tomatotomata!!

Great to have another Plumeria person added to the list of Plumeria lovers!!!

PLUMERIAHOLICS.. Get ready for early classes!!! : )

Have fun and ask away..

Very nice folks around here...

Take care,

Laura

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Welcome Tomato! Another Plumie Addict in the making. :) I just started in April and already I have over 30 plants.

You are so lucky to be so near Jungle Jack's! He has soo many gorgeous plants! Have fun picking out some great ones. :)

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Hi There Tomato! A follow up of your last question; many people prefer to purchase plants while they are flowering as you immediately get to enjoy them, and you are also able to purchase knowing that you are getting what you paid for... instead of an unpleasant surprise next season or later when it blooms as something else.

Have Fun!
    Wendy

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Welcome tomato!! You're in great hands here.

Here's a side note about superthrive. Its illegal for sale or shipping to Oklahoma so sadly I haven't tried it

Mike

• tomatotomata
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OP here. Thanks so much to everyone for the info and encouragement. Bill, your last sentence made me laugh. Can't wait to google those varieties, and go shopping this weekend!