Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_7

Photos of 'J.L. Hawaiian Rose' Plumeria

Tropic_7
11 years ago

Just in case anyone ever wondered what the difference was between Vera Cruz Rose and "J.L. Hawaiian Rose" Plumeria, here are a few photos to take into account.

It's a lovely cultivar with the same intense "Rose Scent" as VCR. Blooms are 3.5 inches in the photos and the keeping quality is amazing!

Aloha! Stuart "Tropic 7 Plumeria*"

Comments (25)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Stunning Stuart. Thanks for sharing that beauty!

Mike

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Wow. That is luscious. 1-stop's photo makes this cultivar seem unappealing to me--clearly, I had the wrong impression.

Thanks for sharing, Stuart, and for showing us what this bloom really looks like. Gorgeous.

Greg

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

Beautiful flowers and outstanding photos.

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all, I wanted to photograph them before I prepared them as cuttings. The blooms in the photo are now in water on my desk.
    Stuart

• Tony10
    11 years ago

Stuart,

Thanks for posting these beautiful pics! This has been on my "wish list" since last year. A friend from another forum has this and it's one of her favorites. She told me that VCR has a far superior fragrance, but HR is far superior in the beauty department. It's good to know that you think the scent is equally as strong.

The only things that have stopped me from buying are A) the price and B)I have never seen a very full inflo....she seems to only open 5-10 blooms at a time.

Regardless, that is one photogenic plumie!

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tony10,
    The HR came from a VCR seed at the JL Farm Oahu.
    They smell the same and my gosh these smell so good!
    I've sniffed them so much I've got to take some Aleve!
    It's a much heavier bloom and the colors just pop!

Here's the JL Farm notes:
    JL farms has released its' first cultivar from the hybrid Vera Cruz Rose.
    The flower has the same incredible rose fragrance as Vera Cruz Rose. The new cultivar was developed 7 years and ago and is one of several seedlings that repeats the fragrant gene. JL originally named it in honor of all the plumeria officiatos of Texas until he learned that Elizabeth Thornton had already registered one of her own seedlings with the same name. The yellow flower color is unlike any other in that it is a full Pantone 101U yellow color. The PANTONE color bar is the official color picker used by color code professionals to register colors. If you have Vera Cruz Rose this will be a bonus to your collection if you like powerful fragrances that resemble a rose. The flower size is identical to Very Cruz Rose. Vera Cruz Rose has been one of the most popular plumerias to ever be released by Jim Little.

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Hey Tropic, if I am not mistaken Vera Cruz Rose is a Mexican variety and not a J.L. release.

George

• Tony10
    11 years ago

Stuart,
    Thanks for the info.

George,
    I think you are right that VCR was orignally discovered in Mexico but the seed that produced HR was from JL's VCR so HR becomes "JL Hawaiian Rose" if that makes any sense.

Tony

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Tony and George you are correct.

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Quite lovely, the pic is so vivid it is like being there!

• pcput
    11 years ago

Just gorgeous Stuart !!! I love the "rose" smell and have to make a trip to Laura's to smell her blooms. If you close your eyes you really would think you are smelling a rose. It is wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to post yet another beauty. Peg

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow another beauty Stuart! With awesome scent to boot. Your photos are stunning. Thank you for sharing that.

I am tempted to get one but 1-Stop only has cuttings and thus far I am 0 for 4 trying root cuttings so I better stay far away from that until I learned how to properly root them. What a bummer. :(

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Just beautiful Stuart!! You never disappoint with the beautiful photos.

Jackie

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

No-Clue,
    rooting cuttings is very easy if you do a few simple things. Read my article in the March issue of Plumeria Potpourri of the PSA about rooting cuttings to learn how.

George

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

George
    How do we get to your articles? Can you link it here? I looked and can't find them.

Jackie

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Asolutely stunning!
    Tally Ho!

• citizen_insane
    11 years ago

Jackie,
    all my articles will be posted on the PSA website in the near future. I tried to post it here but it will not allow it because it is a .pdf file. It was published in the March newsletter. I do not have a link to an electronic version. Peg mentioned that she read one of my articles posted on another forum by somebody. Peg, any info?
    George

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

George... so far I killed 3 out of 4 cuttings I bought from Upland Nursery back in April. I sent one away for a friend to save for me. It went from life support to critical care so Guillots Sunset might survive after all.

So yes I would love to read your instructions on how to do this! But remember you all have been doing this for a long time I just started in April. Plus I have only ever tried to garden one time in my life about 20 years ago... so all this is very hard for me. :( But at least I have not killed any rooted plumerias where as I killed everything else including cactus. So in that sense Plumerias are much hardier than other plants once established.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Stuart, amazing photos once again! I love how the petals open and reflex more than VCR. I can almost hear the scribbling of dozens of pens as she's added to "wish" lists everywhere, lol.

I have my own VCR seedling that I'm in love with for the foliage and growth habit. Waiting to see how the blooms look in a couple of years and hoping for something even half as beautiful and fragrant as the mama.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Very nice. thanks for sharing it.

I have to say that right now despite the differences pointed out I would get one or the other*...Much like how I have a Penang Peach instead of a Cali Sunset.

*Disclaimer: KMS2's statement is subject to change without notice. And I have a JL VCR already.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Just beautiful...

K... to funny!!! "until further notice..."

: )

Laura

• Tropic_7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm so appreciative of everyone's nice comments!

The tree is about 7 years old from a J.L. cutting and grows like a weed here in Florida.
    No winter too cold no wind too strong and has the growing strength like that of the Aztec Gold ( you can't kill it!!! )
    Here's a photo taken 2 weeks after Tropical Storm Debbie came trough.
    Adjusted well and had to make a few cuttings from broken branches.
    And it's already back to blooming!
    I need to take a better photo of it, it's just so tall I need a ladder!
    Mahalo Nui!!!! Stuart

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    11 years ago

Beautiful shots! And plumerias always look better by a swimming pool!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow she is a big tree!! And olny 7 years?? That's incredible! I bet the fragrance is incredible huh? Thanks for letting us see your beauty.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Those are definitely photos to include in a database, including the one of the full height of the 7-year-old tree.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional