Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Some odds and ends

No-Clue
10 years ago

I just want to share some funky things that have been going on in my garden.

First of, I have zero luck w/ Waimea! I don't think she likes me much. My 2.5 feet tall plant had black tips on all three tips. So I had no choice but to amputate them. Well now look what they are doing!

{{gwi:1187942}} Look like I got 3 new tips.

{{gwi:1187943}} Four new tips out of this one.

{{gwi:1187944}}Another 3 new tips.

So can I safely say that my Waimea will survive after all? Does this mean I lost 3 tips and gained 10?? So confused!

Not sure what's going on but I found some six petals blooms!

{{gwi:1187945}}Orange Jack

{{gwi:1187946}}Mary Helen Eggenberger

{{gwi:1187116}}Cherokee Geisha

{{gwi:1187947}}I fear my Delightful might have contracted Tiger's stripes??

{{gwi:1187948}}Normally she looks like this.

{{gwi:1187949}}Looks like I got a tiny visitor. I am assuming she the good guy right?

{{gwi:1187950}}How about this little guy?

{{gwi:1187951}}And him? :)

{{gwi:1187952}} The end!

Comments (9)

• rox146
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful to look at....roxanne

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

Your Waimea looks good... Maybe a hidden bonus about the tip amputations. Beautiful pictures!

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's so strange no? I mean who does that? Growing so many tips after being amputated! Why can't she just grow on the 3 tips she had. Craziness! But that goes to show you how sensitive she is to frost. Just grateful she decided to live instead.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Is it DAP that you put on and not LET.? Someone on here said the liquid tape triggers multi branching....does dap do the same? Congrats on saving. My Waimea is sending the inflo late this year but here it comes...roxanne

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

so pretty, all your blooms.

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rox, yes that's DAP per Bill's suggestion. It was my first time doing it so I didn't do a great job! It's kind of messy. Haha. But I'm glad it is working out though.

Thank you Elizabeth! How are you doing??

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing such nice pics!! Love all the lil critters!! Too cute!! Awesome job after amputating!! You got lucky! ;)

Chuy

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Tell us about your Waimea. Do you grow it in the ground or in pots? How old was the plant? When did you first notice the black tip?

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Chuy!

Dave - almost all my plumeria are in pots. I ordered two smaller Waimea last summer (one from Fuzzy and the other from Matt). Those are doing ok, not growing much but no black tips.

Since I don't have much patience I went out to buy a 3rd Waimea from a local guy late last summer (he also sells at the SD Plumeria Plant Sale). The plant is about 2.5 feet tall from the soil line. I am guess it has to be 2-3 years old. It weathered the winter fine and was the first one to shoot out claws back in April. When the claws were around 2 inches she stalled completely. I watched her closely in May and June and noticed the claws were started to turn black and falling off. Still I remained hopeful until all the claws have fallen off and the tips started to sink in and got mushy. It was then I realized to save her I had to amputate.

I cut about 1-2 inches off from each tip. I covered her with rootone and re-potted her in the 5:1:1 only because I wanted to check her roots (which looked fine) and I wanted to use up the rest of my 5:1:1 Mix. I then left her by the side yard and ignored her only giving her water once a week. Then I read Bill's post about DAP and I thought what the heck I'll slab that on too. A few weeks later I saw these weird popcorn thingies which subsequently turned into new tips. So now it looks like I will get 10 tips out of this disaster.

Strangely enough, the 5:1:1 Mix holds a lot more moisture which my Jasmine absolutely love so I am confused as to why Waimea would like that? However, if she continues to thrive then I might have to experiment and put another struggling plumeria into the 5:1:1 and see what will happen. :)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations