Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to plumerias, first summer with my new favorite plant!

Posted by AeroViper1 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 20:00

Hello all!

I'm new to the plumeria world. I have been a long time admirer of this beautiful tree for quite some time. I have had poor luck in the past with ebay bought cuttings but found a friend who has cuttings of his own! He gifted me these two at the end of last summer and I have cared for them since. I kept them inside all winter in a sunny window and they continued to produce leaves. I have had them out in full sun since the beginning of the summer.

How am I doing?
What should I expect?
Any advice for the yellowing/browning of the leaves? Rust?

I am using a 9-58-8 blooming fertilizer. I just started fertilizing last week and will continue every 10 days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to plumerias, first summer with my new favorite plant!

Hi and welcome. Do you know what kind your plants are? I think our resident North Carolinian is Mona. She is a regular poster and will be able to give great advice tailored to your locale.

Fertilizers can be made as complex or simple as you want it. As you get more comfortable with your new Plumerias you can always experiment with other fertilizers but for right now I would look for a more forgiving balanced fertilizer such as Osmacote 14-14-14 or use what you have and adjust longer the application schedule AND cut the dosage down by at least half to prevent salt build up in your soil.

Leaves turning brown from the bottom of the plant are easily surmised as they are done and the plant no longer has use for them. If it continues past the bottom most leaves then it could be other issues such as too much or too little water. The best thing is be consistent and observe then adjust until you come up with your sweetspot. Good luck.

o

Thanks kms2, I do not know what kind and won't be able to find out. :(

I have been reading about cutting the dosage in half with fertilizer. I'm going to start that on my next feeding.

I look forward to learning from Mona!

I love tropical plants and find Charlotte to be a pretty good environment if you stay diligent. I use trial and error as best I can but go ahead and assume I know nothing :)

Thanks!

o

I have noticed a dramatic slow down in leaf production. Not sure what this means either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here