Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobtabler

Potting mix and plant locations...

bobthewizard
10 years ago

Looking for recommendations for soil mix for potted Plumerias... This would be for Southern California.

I've seen the gritty mix listed as 1-1-1 and 5-1-1.

Also, last year when I was first potting my no-ID white, I potted it and placed it in full sun. It burned the leaves, so my solution was too it to a shadier spot, with only partial full sun in the day. A lot of what I'm reading here though, says more sun and humidity (little control of that) helps the blooms... So I'm rethinking where she should be... Thoughts?

It goes without saying, I can't thank you all enough for all your help here. And the outpouring of images is fantastic, showing me what I have to look forward to.

~Bob

Comments (19)

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

I go to Orange County Farm Supply in Orange and purchase Big R, Turf n Tee and Pumice and mix my own. This costs about $50 for about 80 gallons (about 12 cu.ft.). James uses E.B.Stone cactus mix which is about $11 for 1 1/2 cu ft bags. This is a good mix however I would buy a bag of pumice at OCFS ($7)and mix 50/50 with the cactus mix to make it faster draining. However, the Stone mix can be used straight. Bill

• bobthewizard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Bill..

Looking further into this, I found that this is kind of a touchy subject, or at least has been in the past. I'll work it out from what I've read and see how it goes. Thanks again everyone, past and present.. heheh

~Bob

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Bob, I've found that my plants in black plastic pots bake, and those in white ones, don't. You can also place your pots in such a way, that your leafier plants provide some shade for those with less leaf growth
    And I use a blend of 60%/30% Black Gold potting/perlite, Ammended with earthworm castings and bonemeal and Nutristar time release plumeria food.

• bobthewizard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone... I'll see how difficult it is to acquire the stuff for the gritty mix... but might go with a good cactus type mix and Perlite... or something similar to what desamecyra mentioned.

I'll let you know...

~Bob

This post was edited by BobTheWizard on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 21:28

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Bob, I use poting soil mixed with perlite, because it drains very quickly, but also because its light -weight. (I'm fairly small -5'-and can't schlepp heavy pots around) The ammendments are optional...liquid fertilizers are even easier to use occasionally, when you water.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

I did not respond since I am in Texas, and not in Calif. I noticed that desamecyra uses a soil formula very similar to what I use. Saying that, I am just going to add that my plumeria do best if they are planted on the south side of a building in full sun. I use the gritty mix to root cuttings only. Barbra

• tdogdad
    10 years ago

If you can get pumice it is far better than perlite. It holds up far longer and does not compact. I shifted from 25%perlite/25%pumice about half a decade ago to 50%pumice and results are far better. Pumice is available out here and many experienced growers use it as it is a volcanic rock which adds to the soil chemistery.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Wish we had pumice here....

Lucky Cali ....

Laura

• desamecyra
    10 years ago

Bill, how does pumice compare to perlite in terms of weight? I love my plumies...but I need my back for work, and plumeria pots only get larger, as they grow.

• derft1
    10 years ago

I found pumice.Which one should I buy.....1 or 2.

Thanks in advance, Fred

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

derft, you can buy it broken up? I have to break mine up using a hammer. Mine would look like a size 3 or 4, its larger than what you are showing. Gosh, what a time saver. Where did you find pumice that size, if you don't mind me asking? I spend and entire afternoon, breaking pumice that I buy from Lowes. Barbra

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

I like 2 size... Good find!!!

;-)

Laura

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

I buy pumice in large bags from my local non-big box garden center. I usually plant in a variation of the gritty mix - I substitute pumice for gran-I-grit, which makes the mix retain a little more water. It gets so hot here, and my work schedule can be crazy, so it helps the plants out. For bark, I use Repti-Bark or very fine Orchid Bark (which also comes in huge bags from the local garden center). I found Turface at my local irrigation store (Ewing). I want to try Jack Morgan's mix, but haven't made it to a place that carries Turf n Tee yet (I've got the Big R, though).

• derft1
    10 years ago

Barbra...Here is the link to online store. They are in Fort Worth.

http://www.sandersonbonsai.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=139

Hope this helps, Fred

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    10 years ago

For SoCal sources:

Turface - Ewing irrigation, John Deere Landscapes
    Big R, Turf n Tee, pumice - Orange County Farm Supply
    Big R, x-large bags of perlite and pumice - Covina Garden Center
    I think Turf n Tee (and more) may also be at Whittier Fertilizer, but I haven't gone there yet - http://whittierfertilizer.com/
    E.B. Stone organics - Armstrong nursery, Whittier Fertilizer, and many others

• powderpuff
    10 years ago

desamecyra- I agree with you 100% regarding black pots. If they can't go in the ground and must stay in pots even in the summer, plunge those pots or paint them white. Especially in Florida where the sun is so intense.

daogirl- Using pumice instead of granite sounds like a good idea. I'm also wondering if adding the grit to potting soil would work. It's worth a try. I love the Gritty mix for healthy roots in WHITE pots but in black pots, wow does it get hot.

Plus it's so hard to feed them constantly and they get root bound so fast, then the food just runs right through. I put some of my root bound big ones back in soil and in the ground and they are much happier. You can't beat Gritty for rooting cuttings or small rooted cuttings because it's next to impossible to rot them plus with rooting cuttings the extra heat created with Gritty is a plus. Mature roots, they don't like hot roots.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Fred, thank you for the information. Barbra

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Recently jandey and Kms2 told me about a product called Happi-Gro Landscapers mix (Lowe's) and I bought some to mix with my Miracle Grow potting soil / perlite mix and I have to say, so far I love it!!! Our weather is just too hot to go gritty, but so far this is great to break up my soil from compaction, while giving a good amount of water retention / even watering because the peat base was compacting. It's little bark pieces that are the perfect size! So I'm doing somewhere around 40/40/20 MG/HG/Perlite right now.

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    10 years ago

Ohh...Bill, I'm soooo glad I found You! I have pumice and perlite on hand, could BLACK GOLD potting mix work? Or would you use, only, 50% perlite and 50% pumice only?
    Thank you
    Annamaria