Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria Treasure - didn't read the FAQ

Posted by robert1971 7a OK (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 20:08

I blame myself for not reading Plumeria Trasure's FAQ section before ordering from them. I just ordered a 'rooted cutting' thinking it was not grafted, their FAQ section states that most of their cuttings are grafted.
Being a newbie a 'rooted cutting' in my mind is not grafted. Wish they would've stated something like 'rooted, grafted cutting' before I bought it.
Just giving a heads up for those who are concerned about such things.
I probably would've ordered from someone else had I known.

-Robert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria Treasure - didn't read the FAQ

• Posted by Tropic_7 9 West Bradenton Flo (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 21:19

Hey Robert,

I had to read this twice!
I do see what your saying, and I know if I by a "rooted cutting" from Jim Little Farms that's exactly what I get!
In fact they specialize in rooting the difficult to root cultivars.
If the one you just purchased is a red or difficult to root and you paid an honest price, I think you'll be all right with it being grafted.
I purchase grafted plumeria for difficult to root cultivars.
I'm going to look at this site your talking about, I haven't heard of them before?
Stuart

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 21:23

That's stinks you learned the hard way. Was this the order you were expecting today. What did you get? For me my first love of tropicals was citrus which are all grafted so grafted plants don't seem to bother me. I want to try my luck at making a multiple color tree one day.

Mike

o

• Posted by Tropic_7 9 West Bradenton Flo (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 21:43

Robert,

I went back and looked at their website and see that they're in Atlanta, Georgia.
So my guess is they don't have mature trees growing in volcanic soils,
but can imagine they are able to grow their stock plants in a greenhouse. I also read this:
Where do your plants come from?
Plumeria Treasure obtains cuttings from all over the world. Many of our cuttings and trees come from Hawaii and Thailand, yet others come from Australia and beyond.

So what they're doing is ordering bulk "cuttings" the different varieties and grafting them "in the greenhouse" to their stock plants in Atlanta Georgia! Kind of cool I think!

Stuart

o

Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 21:52

Good info Stuart. My dream is to do something similar here in Tulsa.

Mike

o

Whatever you do...Don't pick this arguement with Lolas Garden :)

o

Hi Stuart and Mike!

I got a red one from them, Bangkok Fire aka Daeng Maha Choke.
Didn't know the reds are hard to root. That probably explains a lot!
The root stock stem looks skinny compared to the grafted top so fingers crossed!
This is my second grafted tree (the first being from Florida Colors). I suppose two out of nine ain't bad. ;)

Mike,

If you start selling plumies here in town no doubt I'll be buying from ya. :)

-Robert

o

Kms2,

Ha! That made me laugh! ;)

-Robert

o

Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 22:32

Robert. If I ever do you get one for free.:) one my seedlings already has your name on it. We need to make sure our collections aren't getting too similar that way we can trade out cuttings.

Mike

o

Yay! Thank you. Of course I'm focusing on the highly fragrant ones and am currently on an exotic Thai kick so I think we're safe. ;)

-Robert

o

Hi RObert,

I also like the Thai varieties....

Don't worry to much about the grafted trees. I have a few and they are all doing well! Please dont worry about them, they will be fine!!!

Some of my Thai Varieties...

J-105
Thai one
Thai Elsie
Thai Super zround

Other grafted ones that i have..

Makaha Sunn
Kauka Wilder
Black Tiger
Desert Sunrise

They re all doing great..

Just rest easy and know they will be fine!! : )

Laura

o

• Posted by k2fl okc 7 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 1:14

hi Robert

I ordered from them earlier this spring and my Daeng Siam came as a grafted plant also. Like you I didn't know their stocks are grafts. Though now looking back I find their prices are a bit high if you compare some of the same cultivars they have to Brad's. I also got a free grafted Intense Rainbow plant! Both are doing great now so I'm not complaining.

Kenny

o

Thanks Laura and Kenny!

It was just a bit of a shock and disappointment to see my Bangkok Fire was grafted and not rooted...especially when compared to the fat, two tip Chiang Mai Rainbow rooted cutting I received from Brad's yesterday as well! :)

-Robert

o

I may be the odd one out here, but I really do not like grafts. I don't like the way they look and it seems to me if they are so fussy they have to be grafted, I would rather choose a heartier tree, If down the road, I want to root some cuttings, I don't want ones that rot easily or are a real pain to root.

I have about 4 grafts that I got from Brad before I began to ask first and specifically told him I was not interested in grafts. He now mentons on his website whether they are grafted or rooted, which is a good thing so you know what you are getting.

My DUvachelle is a graft and I do not like that tree. Duvachelle is supposed to be compact? Uh... Well... not mine. It hasn't bloomed yet and it's a skinny 36" tall ugly stick which I am afraid to cut off and try to root since it's very hard to root. Another graft is Salmon Pink. It's tall and skinny too but did bloom last year. I wasn't there when it bloomed so didn't get any photos. Some of my winter losses were grafts and a couple others are also grafted, one is Musk Rainbow and it's another one that isn't looking that great. I have about 5-7 that I am concerned about.

One of mine that is not doing well. it's not a graft and had I seen this on Diana's list before I bought it, I would have passed:

"Lurline-better grafted, low water, rots if wet, & blacktip if cold, temperamental"

Low water is next to impossible in Florida at certain times of the year and running out in the rain to grab trees that hate lots of water is not something I plan to do.

Jim Little doesn't like grafting and gives the reasons why in his book. Makes sense to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here