Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waimea - worth the wait

Posted by dave_in_nova VA zone 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 20:10

The first bloom of 'Waimea' finally opened!

Photo does not do it justice. My camera has a hard time capturing the saturation and exact hues. There should be no light pink in it at all.

Anyway, it was worth the wait. Nice fragrance too...sort of like 'cactus flower'.

Laura, you were right about this one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waimea - worth the wait

I have Waimea...love it....this year she is not happy with me though as I moved her....putting her back to the same spot as last year in the yard. roxanne

o

Very pretty. I have one but it still has not bloomed for me. :( Barb

o

Hi Dave!!!

It is a beauty!!! ;-)

Simply gorgeous .. I'm hoping mine will bloom this year. Sigh...

Congratulations!! I know you are thrilled!!!

Hope you didn't have damage from the storms. Strong ones again today.

Take care!!!

Laura

o

rox: hope your Waimea bounces back in the new location!

barb: Patience! This is a several year old cutting.

Laura:
This one has two branches. The one branch is blooming. The other branch did this weird fasciation (or cresting) thing resulting in 6 new tips. I'll probably let them all grow for a while and see which are the most vigorous, then trim off the weaker ones leaving maybe 3. Thanks! ;-)

o

OOOHHHHHH!!! SO LOVELY!!! This is one of those that seems to be worth the wait!

o

First blooms are always exciting, and Waimea is definitely worth waiting for! Gorgeous flower!

o

Waimea, to me, has a citrus flower scent. At first I could not place it, then realized 'Orange Blossoms!'. Must say though that the fragrance seems to change a bit from day to day.

o

I really like this one....she was such holding power and scent...don't pass her up! roxanne

o

Wow Dave, your Waimea is amazing! I was given a cutting of Waimea a few years back, and it also bought one from Matt. The cutting from Matt was very thick and I believe it has 4 or 5 tips, one of which sealed over but like Laura said, I too am hoping for this one to bloom! Your scent description makes it even better! I love the scent of orange blossoms!

Thanks again for posting your pic, and Roxy, your pic is also gorgeous! I cannot wait to see my two bloom someday!

Andrew

o

that's great. I am in the same boat as Rox, Barb, and Laura (which is pretty good company to be in) as mine has not bloomed this year. Thanks for sharing. It will help keep me on program for next year's blooms.

o

Beautiful!
Too bad we can't smell the flowers, too!

o

Hi Dave..

How Interesting about the crest.. Love to see a picture of it?

I'm still looking everyday at mine.. Hoping!! ;-)

It sure is a beauty and I'm so happy you are thrilled!!! Makes it all worth while....

Roxanne.. Stunning picture.. Just makes me want to go stare at my tree!!

Thanks guys. Love this Waimea!!!

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here