Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

California Sunset - what a transformation!

Just in time for the 4th my California Sunset opened a bloom for the first time since I bought it blooming at the nursery...and what a bloom! It's almost as good as fireworks!

I was jealous of Mike's since his has such awesome colors but I guess the 100+ temps in Tulsa transformed mine as well.

Of course the scent is still awesome! Goes from coconut tanning oil to peaches. Love it!

Here's what it originally looked like-

Happy 4th everybody! :)

-Robert

Comments (27)

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

What a beauty!! And you can definately see the difference the higher temps made. Congrats Robert its a winner for sure!!

Jackie

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

That is really beautiful, Robert. I would be very pleased watching the transformation! My white noid will go from having a pink band to no pink, then back to the pink banding again. Sometimes the scent is rose, sometimes like jasmine. It is not a spectacular tree by any means with it's odd cumbersome appearance but this thing has been blooming since February. now it only has a few blooms a day, but it keeps on giving! :)

bad cellphone pic and shaky hands LOL plus you can't see the few flowers but you can see the poor shape

{{gwi:1188027}}

I skipped out on fireworks tonight. Just too hot for me!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Jackie and Moonie!

I love how the scent changes with these plants.
    Shape be damned! I'd love to have one that goes from rose to jasmine. ;)

-Robert

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Looks good Robert. The heat really brings out the red.

Mike

• pcput
    11 years ago

Robert, the color looks great. It is surprising to see what a difference the heat makes.

moonie, you can always cut the top off next spring and root that. Then you will have 2 trees as the bottom will grow more branches. Peg

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Wow I had no idea CA Sunset can do that! Mine still looks like the second picture thanks to the May Gray and June Gloom! Hoping July will bring some heat but so far it has been cold. And my barely gives off any scent. So I'm convinced the heat is critical to bring out it's beauty. Thank you for sharing that!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

That's pretty amazing Robert. Love the colors. How is the intensity of the scent for you? Do you think it's stronger than, let's say, a sambac jasmine?
    -Dar

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Beautiful. How close is this plant to a Penang Peach? They look like twins to me but based on the description the scent may be different?

Original Author
    11 years ago

No-Clue,

You're welcome!
    Sorry to hear yours hardly has any scent. Fingers crossed that the heat will bring it and the red out for you!

Dar,

The scent is not as strong intensity wise as Belle of India but it definitely has a scent if you stick your nose to it!
    It was the best smelling one at the nursery and my partner insisted I purchase it because of this (he knows me well) and I'm super glad he did!
    I always make our garden guests sniff it and they are never disappointed. I always say it has an 'exotic' scent since it smells like nothing else I grow. :)

Kms2,

I've read it is a seedling of Penang Peach. I've never smelled the parent so I can't compare but I love the scent of California Sunset!

-Robert

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Robert, Penang Peach smells like peach heaven! It smells exactly like a real peach an it was so strong that I couldn't stop sniffing it every time I'd go by it. It's a lovely scent, very much worth having in my book. ;)

No-Clue, I think the heat plays a big major factor in bringing out the scent in the flowers. I had a Maui Beauty bloom, it didn't smell like it was suppose to which was due to it was only in the high 70s / low 80s at the time. But having weather in the high 80s, almost 90 brought out the smell really strong for my Penang Peach.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Good information to know, Kim. Thanks!

I've heard Aztec Gold is even more peachy when it comes to scent. ;)

-Robert

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Awesome blooms!
    Tally HO!

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Woohoo!! FINALLY the sun came out today... and I got a new bloom and guess what? It got some orange tint to it and not yellow anymore! So I'm hoping w/ the warmer weather this week and next mine will start to get more intense. I'm so excited!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, beachplant!

No-Clue,

Fingers crossed that the scent will increase as well! :)
    One fell off tonight so I have it in a little vase and it smells awesome!

-Robert

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a current pic taken at high noon (the colors are a bit washed out from the sun) with multiple blooms open.

All this current talk about 'Musk' has gotten me wanting one however I'm telling myself that my 'California Sunset' is close enough. ;)

-Robert

• nativec
    11 years ago

Robert

Don't you love California Sunset?!!! I have found that mine doesn't start "showing off" until temps get to nearly 100+ here in CA. Really great color you have there!

Thought I'd share the color I'm getting as well :)

Happy growing :)

Nicole

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

i love mine. good peachy scent
    this was last week

mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Nicole and Mike,

They're both gorgeous! Very intersting to see the color changes due to the weather.
    Nicole's seems much more pink and the yellow really shows up in the center.
    I like how this plant keeps us guessing (and it smells great too!). ;)

-Robert

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

WOWZA!! All of yours are so beautiful!

Now look at mine near the coast.

{{gwi:1188029}}

This week I got some colors compared to just yellow last month! And finally I detected that peachy scent everyone is talking about! So I'm happy with mine... hopefully the warmer weather will just intensify the colors and the fragrant. :)

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

Well, this is fun! Beautiful shots, y'all!

This was mine last month:

Amazing how much variation it shows.

Greg

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Yeah I can't wait to see if mine will get even more intense. I always liked it before because it has been blooming since May but now that I can see the potential and scent I'm loving it.

Original Author
    11 years ago

No-Clue & Greg,

It's amazing how everyone's blooms are different and they keep changing for all of us! :)

-Robert

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Robert!!

Great thread...

Wanted to share the blooms that i had the pleasure of seeing tonight when i came home from work!!

Here is my California Sunset!!

I just love seeing all of the different colors..You can really see the different colors from the different locations.. very interesting and they are all beautiful!!!

Congratulations everyone!!!

Laura

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Another one on my Wishlist! Thanks for sharing Laura! She is a beauty!

• nativec
    11 years ago

Wow! On all the gorgeous variations! Great thread! :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow indeed, Laura! Yours looks totally different from ours.

We haven't seen any pics from Hawaii yet, right?
    Or maybe we should just move there to see how our plant will look? ;)

-Robert

• cruz_cubierta
    10 years ago

Hello SFLGPlume: I found 3 huge trees in a pile of grass clippings.
    When can I put them on the ground ?
    As soon as I take a picture, I'll post it.
    Your help is greatly apprecited, you're the only one down south ! :)
    Cruz_Cubierta