Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocoabeachlorax

Recommendation please.

cocoabeachlorax
10 years ago

Hello,

I've got a great bright pink no name as well as many no name white/ yellows. I have a Charlotte Ebert that has not bloomed (but it's very young and a graft at that).

There's a great nursery here that has a tremendous selection of Plumeria, but rather than going in without a clear choice (way too overwhelming) I'd love to have your recommendation.

I'm looking for a Plumeria that is close to equal parts orange and pink. Bright is the key, I'm looking for contrast and color depth. Although scent is lovely, it's not a priority.

So, any suggestions ? I had no idea how many Plumeria there were !

Comments (18)

• ProudMamaSD
    10 years ago

Kauka Wilder isn't necessarily orange, but neon yellow inside and bright pink and just vibrant neon all around.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Desert Sunrise....

Beautiful...

Have fun...

Laura

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Laura - beauty overload - warning! That's amazing. Jandey told me I needed a Desert Sunrise- once again she was right! Stunning!

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Wow Laura your Desert Sunrise is gorgeous! I saw one today but the blooms were yellow and didn't have the pop factor so I went with Orange Jack instead. I wonder if that's due to our cooker temps. I would be all over Desert Sunrise if I know it will be as intense as yours.

How about J105?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Just for you Lynn..

She is a beauty!!!

Thanks George!!! Night All...

Thanks Lynn!!!

Take care,

Laura

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Shoot I am going to have to go back Sat to get one now! Thank you sweetie!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

You have described the bloom of Makaha Sunn, do a search and key in Makaha Sunn, I posted a picture of it with last years blooms. Since you are in zone 10 you should not have any problem growing it. Barbra

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Hi Barbra! How are you hun?

Yes I remember your gorgeous Makaha Sunn! I'm glad to hear she's pushing out new tips for you.

But for some strange reasons she's very difficult to grow here in S CA. I think Bud and even Bill may have had black tip issues with her. Since I babied mine and left her in the garage on the heating mat during the winter, she didn't get black tips but she has only grew an inch in almost a year! While she's a stunner, considering how hard it is to find her and then how hard it is to grow her, I don't know if I would recommend her for this area.

J105 on the other hand is a hardy plant w/ large flowers, gorgeous thick petals and huge green foliage. Even when not blooming it's a beautiful tree. :) See Laura's pic above.

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh ! Makaha Sunn is absolutely gorgeous, definitely what I was envisioning.

I'll feel like such a fraud calling the nursery to inquire if they have it, as I will sound far more educated than I am !

I love hearing the recommendations and would love to hear more !

• disneyhorse
    10 years ago

I think that is my favorite combo... I'm in love with Waimea even though I've never seen it in person. I've got a couple sticks and half a dozen tiny Waimea seedlings now to wait on.
    What about Kimo or Lurline?

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Disneyhorse, all of those suggestions are beautiful, thank you.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

On the orange to yellow side would be Penang peach.

don't forget about dean Conklin. Equal pink and orange. Just tool this pic.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

Dean Conklin has a much larger bloom, than Makaha Sunn. I did have a problem with black tip this year. Last year I got the Makaha Sunn from Florida Colors, it grew very fast, and bloomed that year. It was probably my best grower. This year, all 4 tips were getting black. I decided to cut them back, and move the plant to direct sun. Now it has 16 tips and doing great. I am not familiar with California conditions. I would recommend it to South Texas growers, but it doesn't like dapple sun, it likes the heat, today its 100 degrees. Barbra

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Everyone has suggested some terrific plumeria and the Desert Sunrise photos are spectacular!

How about "Beautiful Thailand"?

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Indonesian Rainbow?

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Or, "Evening Sky"?

• jandey1
    10 years ago

I'd have to go with Desert Sunrise, especially if scent is not that important, because there isn't a more beautiful flower with thick, long-lasting blooms and equal parts orange and pink. There are others equally as beautiful with more yellow like Makaha, but they're a bit more finicky, too.

So far DS is extremely hardy and has been reliably putting out a few flowers all summer, despite being newly rooted.

And just look at this face--how could you not love it?

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone, this has been so much fun and so educational too !

Janedy: I think we have a winner with desert sunrise ! It's exactly what I was looking for.