Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumejunkie

My cutting is freaking out.......please HELP

plumejunkie
10 years ago

Ok, my phone sucks, so I'm going to apologize for the poor quality pics. Alright, I've been trying to root this center cutting for about 2 weeks now, & I've noticed a hole forming on the top where the new growth would be. The whole has been getting continuously deeper & now the top is turning black & shriveling. The plant looked fine when i received it.

It's in a clear plastic pot with holes on the sides, & has fast draining soil. I used a slant cut & hit the bottom sides with a potatoe peeler. I made a mix of fresh aloe gel, potassium silicate, fulvic acid, black strap molasses, & some B1. I rolled the bottom of the cutting in the mix, diped it in some root tone for fun (it's absolutely NOT nescessary with this mix), & planted it above an egg. This mix has worked exceptionally well for me in the past.

The plant has been in full sun, which hasn't given me any problems before. It hasn't been watered since, & my intuition is telling me that with the full sun, the cutting needs more water. I decided to water it, & then put it in the shade.

Please, good people of the Plumaholic club, please help me get this straightened out!

Here's the before.....

Comments (12)

• rox146
    10 years ago

not sure, but maybe you should have put the liquid electrical tape on the top part so rot won't form. Also, just mist cuttings as the over watering is the death wish. roxanne

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Roxy, I was trying not to water it, I misted it once. I won't water it again for a while. Ill start a regular misting schedule, maybe that will help. Maybe I should seal the top up with something as well.

Here's the after....

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You know, its amazing to me how a plant will root in water, but not In wet soil.

Here's 1 from the top down. Couldn't get the camera to focus in the hole.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

I don't know why it is but I cannot root cuttings after June. I think its just too hot. I have 100% luck if I root them in March or April. I learned this the hard way. I bought cuttings from Florida colors in June and lost everyone. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

I don't know why it is but I cannot root cuttings after June. I think its just too hot. I have 100% luck if I root them in March or April. I learned this the hard way. I bought cuttings from Florida colors in June and lost everyone. Barbra

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmmmm.....interesting bunny bunny. I've actually rooted in summer before, so I really don't get it. Just planted a red dragon & a dragons breath, so I really hope these root as well. I'm crossing my fingers! If I have to, I can put them under a sweet led light! We'll see.

• rox146
    10 years ago

I have rooted in October thanks to Jean Thielman explaining the baggy method in a dark warm closet. It took 4 months but roots were all over.

Then this last November, I rooted a very large Kauka Wilder in mix with eggs and in our hot sunroom on the second floor, it took a while but it made it and bloomed this May.

I am sure there is 1-2 more cuttings in me this season that I will do the this last way since it is after June. roxanne

• Kenny
    10 years ago

Hi there,

I agree with Barbra that it's a bit tricky to root them in the summer. When cuttings are cut early spring, the mother trees are still dormant. As it's time for them to naturally wake up, they'll grow leaves and start rooting so that's why it's a lot easy to root them in the spring. This is from personal experience and what a JL farms' rep told me. They had a cutting cut in the fall/early winter and by early summer, it still hasn't rooted. But another cutting cut from the same tree in Feb has rooted by May.

With that said, it's not impossible to root in the summer. For your cutting, I'd keep it away from the extreme heat. When temp gets over 90, I protect mine from the afternoon sun. I'd like to root them in bottles so I can see when roots are formed. Also with a bottle, there's less soil (less moisture retention if it rains). Since my mix is fast draining, it doesn't matter if they get rained on every once in a while. But I wouldn't recommend letting them soak in the rain every day. :)

Kenny

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your input guys, black dragon & dragons breath just came yesterday, so they're all going in a less sunny place. Im going to mist them a couple times a week or so. The 2 new ones aren't center cut, so I don't think ill have this problems with them.

The more I think about it, the more I think the top wasn't sealed properly. But then again, what do I know.

Jason

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so I just talked to the vendor, & he said that its natural. I was told center cuts will turn black & crust over in about 3 weeks. I've never rooted a center cut before so this is new to me. He even offered to send me another one if it dies, just pay for shiping! That's standing by your product!

Anybody ever root center cuts before?

Jason

• kasiec
    10 years ago

Hi Jason - it's fun to root center cuttings. You get more branches this way. Anyways, I am sure the link below will help you with rooting the center cuttings.

Kasie

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.socalplumeriasociety.com/resources/articles/midcuts.html

• plumejunkie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kassie - you rock!

I really think the issue was that the vendor didn't seal the top properly, hence the hole opening up & geting biger. I went out & grabbed some dap to seal it up. Hopefully this will save the upper part of the plant. I learned a valuable lesson........always have a tube of dap handy when your expecting center cuts in the mail...... :P