Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackwillow87

Could someone ID this Noid?

blackwillow87
10 years ago

I bought it from Home Depot 4 years ago, and this is the first time its bloomed. The new blooms have a fruity scent and then as they age a rose scent. My camera can't capture the red color that well. Its a little more burgundy with purple edges. It was one tall stick until the inflo developed, now I have 3 new branches.

Comments (36)

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Congrats for the new blooms!

Mima

This post was edited by SagoLover on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 21:50

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mima!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Looks similar to plastic pink.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks printmaster. It does look similar to Plastic Pink

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

I think that it looks like a plastic pink also. I have lots of them and they are one of my favorites. I also have got a few seedpods from them. Enjoy, Barb

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Barb. I'm so glad it finally branched after 4 years. I need to put it in a bigger pot because it keeps falling over.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

It's very hard to ID based on photos. Especially when the camera does not capture the color correctly. The flowers in the bowl and the ones on the plant look like two completely different varieties to me even though they may be the same.

Too me those blooms look too veiny for plastic pink. When plastic pink's flowers are fully open they are a near perfect shape. Very rounded petals, some overlap, fairly flat bloom, and not as much petal curl on the leading edge as I see in yours.

Hard to say.

Here's an image I found of a pretty good representation of Plastic Pink for you to compare.

Also, Plastic Pink's branches are rather thin with knobby petiole scars. Not near as beefy or smooth as say Aztec Gold.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 9:08

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

I agree Dave.

Hard to identify.

The ones in the bowl look like my Kohola blooming and they look purple to me.

Good luck!!

What ever you have they sure are beautiful!!

Laura

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave and Laura. I wish I could get a better picture of blooms. I tried taking pictures of it at near sunrise and sunset, but the red always comes out pink. Thanks for the comparison picture Dave. The Plastic Pink definitely looks different. Most of the blooms last 4 days.

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

I give up on this board. After growing them for over 17 years with having over 400+ the only people that think they know anything are the people that have been on this board for a long time. This is the second time I have tried to join in, the first time I was told that this board only uses special soil and that I was wrong using cactus mix. This is a picture of the plastic pink one that I bought from someone in FL a long time ago. Best of luck to the new people that are growing these beautiful flowers and remember that it is not that hard to grow them and you don't have to use all of the things that these people tell you to do it. Trust yourself.

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

It's (similar) to Plastic Pink. As stated it is almost impossible to identify from pics. Even with perfect quality pics, there is still a variable of difference for error.
    I would label as NOID.

Lonnie

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Barb13,

No reason to get upset and leave. We all state our opinions and IDing a NOID from a picture is extremely difficult if not impossible. I stated that it looks "similar" to plastic pink. It might ba a seedling or just something that looks simliar to PP. Dave is right in that shapes and colors are difficult to translate into a specific variety.
    Only our opinion from a picture.
    Lonnie

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barb I didn't mean to upset you. I appreciate your input as well as others. Your picture is beautiful btw. I just have mine growing in regular potting mix with some perlite, coarse sand, and lava rocks. I added a top dressing of composted cow manure and so far its doing well in that mixture. It needs a new container because its tipped over several times this year. Thankfully none of the blooms or new branches have been broken. ;-)

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Black Willow,

It's sure is beautiful! So whatever name it goes by doesn't change that. I really love the deep color! I can't believe you found that at HD! Makes me want to go hunt for one.

Barb13,

Please don't take offense... I don't think anyone was trying to be rude or disrespectful by saying it's hard to ID going just by the photos. Heck even my own flowers from the same tree look different all the time... so yours could very well still be Plastic Pink.

I do understand what you're saying though... for I feel the same way many times regarding what's the best method to grow our plumeria or to root a cutting. I admit being a newbie I tried many methods and I can't say that they have all worked well for ME.

Now everybody calm down and try not to shoot me here for what I'm about to say. I hate the Gritty Mix! There I said it! :) When weighing the pros and cons of the Gritty Mix; the amount of work and the return on investment, I would have to conclude that it just not worth the effort to ME. I can't say that I see a HUGE difference one way or another. But I also know that it has worked wonder for many other folks that was why I tried it myself.

Interestingly enough, I was told the 5:1:1 Mix holds too much moisture and not great for Plumeria, yet my Waimea is thriving in it so go figure!

The bottom line is, this board is great with many wonderful and passionate plumeria lovers who do not hesitate to share their time and knowledge with all of us. Along the way I have meet wonderful friends, so for that I'm forever grateful. I hope you reconsider for I have enjoyed looking at your beautiful yard and gorgeous plants!

Take care,
    Lynn

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lynn! I went to HD looking for some drought tolerant plants and I happened to see this lone plumeria mixed in with the annuals. I just had to buy it lol. I haven't seen another plumeria for sale at HD since. The poor plant has been through a lot. My porch collapsed after some heavy rainfall a couple of years ago, which sent all of my houseplants and this plumeria tumbling to the ground. Nearly all of its root system was gone, but after a few months, it recovered nicely.
    I'm mainly a lurker on this forum, and I admire everyone's beautiful plumeria blooms. Of course, I'm jealous of those who live in tropical climates ;-)
    Again, I'm sorry Barb, I didn't mean to jump to conclusions.
    This is my first plumeria bloom. I've learned so much from this forum and I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and experiences. :)

10 years ago

Hi Barb,

I'm so sorry if you were offended by my opinion about the ID. It was just my opinion and the original poster can certainly take it or leave it. LOL!

I see a potential problem where someone might actually call their no-ID plumeria what someone else thinks it is, and then tries to sell it that way. Now you have a plumeria in the market that may or may not be the real deal. I'm thinking of Derrick's (Piece of Paradise) Hilo Beauty, for example. People are paying good money and not getting what was advertised. Anyway, it's more important to some than others.

But please don't leave us just because a few people give their own opinions about things. A forum is a dynamic exchange of ideas, opinions, experiences, etc.

Regarding growing mixes, 'this board' does not advocate any particular soil mix. Select individuals do. But I use what I use. I don't care what they say, but I'm interested in hearing about it.

Anyway, I personally would love to see more photos of your amazing collection. Over 400? We'd love to hear (and see) more! Did you ever fill in that pool?

10 years ago

Hi Black Willow!!

What ever you have there ( plastic pink) or Royal Hawaiian or? Is really beautiful. Congratulations!!! I know you are happy !!!

Hi Barb!

Please don't take it the wrong way .. I / we and all the people here on these forums all learn from each other and this is why it's wonderful to have people like you who have been growing these beauties for years. we love having you join in . I'm not good at ever ID ing a tree and I certainly am not good at describing fragrance either ! Lol.

We all try and give a few thoughts about what we try and use then share on the forum . Where else can we go and find what works for some and not for others. We share our problems and our successes. We look for helpful tips, apply and see if it works . It was here where I learned how to water correctly and then just read and learned from people like you .

No one is telling anyone what they should use ... Some of us simply state what we like and what works for us .

Lynn. You are to funny !!! Confession time? Lol. I don't blame you if you don't like something. Gritty mix isn't for everyone. I'm glad you let it out!!! ;-)

I will say that I take what I like from everyone and then I experiment. If iit doesn't work, I'll try something else. I use Gritty mix on some. I use 5-11 on some and then I use my own blend on some. I constantly seek out what will be good for my trees and what will work for me in my area. Still chuckling at you lynn!!!

So Barb... Please continue to join in. Most people lurk and don't say what they think. We all have opinions and yours certainly does count !! II for one really want to see you post more. Especially your blooms. You are like me. Trees everywhere around the pool!! Lol. I need someone to help me when hubby decides to take my trees. And clean the pool ;-). Please stay.

I remember when I posted a pic of my "Intense Rainbow". Well. .. Everyone said " aaaahhh Laura .. That's not what you think it is .." Well I just laughed because I was so proud of my new blooms that I had waited for for two years. Checked and the forum was right. I was thankful for them for saying their opinion. Lol. Then all the others that I bought from this seller from Florida were mislabeled too! My Aztez Gold was Miami Rose. Sheesh!

If it wasn't for my friends here , I would still be thinking of them as what they were. So what I am saying. I value everyone's opinion here. We learn from one another. New people learn from us and how we act and treat others too. So please just continue to help us and teach us as well. We are always learning...

I would love to see pics.

Have a good day Barb, We want to see you. If you decide to leave...We will miss you ..

Mahalo!

Laura

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

First I am very sorry that I said what I said. I have Fibromyalgia and sleep is something that is getting harder and harder which is why I don't post that much but that was one time when I should not have posted at all. Yes, it is hard to tell by a picture and when we buy any of them we are taking the word of someone we do not know. Which is why I have a lot that are Noid and I put things like big pink on the tag since I have no idea what it is. I know where I got it but not it's real name. I do use tags for cuttings and plants I get from people that I trust.
    I like so many other people were very unhappy with what I got from Derrick.
    I just got in from watering everything and I do have to many plants but instead of thinking that way I am going with the not enough room. Yes, the pool is going to be filled in this winter and the reason why I am waiting is because all of my plants will be sticks again and hopefully no one will walk off with any. It will also be easier to get them out of harms way.
    I do have a Samantha Jade but can not find it and think that it had flowers last year but so far none this year. I do have a nice Sammi Patla that I have got from Maui Plumeria gardens that is blooming this year and will post a picture of it after I post this. I have bought a lot of cuttings from Maui Plumeria Gardens and have always been very happy with them. Also have got a lot from Matt on ebay.
    When I was outside I saw that I have 13 more so far that are going to bloom. One is a egg yolk which I must have bought from ebay at least 10 years ago. I started another cutting but this will be the first time it will bloom. Also one of the first seedlings I ever started is going to bloom this year. It is one of the ugliest shaped plants I have ever saw and need to take a picture of that one also so you can see if you agree with me. That one I had finally taken a cutting from also and even the cutting is ugly. Will have to see what the flowers will look like.
    The picture that I posted with this post is another part of my yard which has a lot of the ones that I have started this year.
    Again I am sorry and hope that you do enjoy seeing the pictures. I know that I enjoying seeing everyone elses gardens and pictures. Barb

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

Here is the picture of the Sammi Patla.

10 years ago

Barb,

Your plumerias are beautiful. We appreciate you AND your input!

It's always interesting to hear WHERE people buy their plants from and the experiences they have had.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura! Hopefully I will have even more blooms next year. :-) Barb your plumerias are gorgeous!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

It could possibly be a Rose Red. Size, shape, color (in some pics) looks comparable.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Laura,

I'm glad you can laugh about it. Let's just say it was such a cathartic experience! I feel so much better now.

As for rooting well I have my own conclusion now too. ;)

Have a great day you all!

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks kms2 :)

• jandey1
    10 years ago

I, for one, cannot wait to see the pics of "one of the ugliest shaped plants I have ever saw" from Barb. The seedling's flowers will probably be beautiful, lol!

Blackwillow, your NOID looks a lot like my NOID, which I know is zero help to you:

Mine has a strong fruity fragrance that lasts a long time, and it fades to a purply color after a couple days. Very spread out inflo, too, but mine doesn't have the prominent white veins on the back like yours. It has a thin, gangly growth habit. They must be related!

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I saw Barb's pictures of the seedlings. They don't look that bad to me ;-) I look forward to seeing some pictures of the blooms. Your NOID is beautiful. I'm already down to the last few blooms :(

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

C,
    Here is an inflo on my RR. It looks pretty close IMO.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow that's beautiful. It does look similar. :) I moved mine to a shadier location, hoping the blooms would last longer. This morning nearly all of the blooms were withered. :(

• barb13_gw
    10 years ago

blackwillow,

I am finding that some of the plumeria I have that are blooming need more water. The new seedling one I have if it does not get water at least every other day is withering also. I moved it first thinking that was the problem but after giving it extra water it has been blooming more and more. Also my Puu Kalea and Paul Weissich needs more water then all of my other plants. Barb

10 years ago

HI Barb!!

I have found the same on certain varieties, my Divine and Kapalua need more water then most. They are very thirsty!!! My Guillot Sunset seems to be another too!

Good luck!!

My Pu'u Kahea likes water too!!

Take Care,

Laura

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll try giving it extra water. Its been in the 100s for the past several days. I have it in a mix of mostly perlite and lava rock, with about 40% potting soil, so it dries out pretty fast. Thank you both for listing some of the varieties that need extra water.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Blackwillow, I had a chance to see Kms2's Rose Red blooms in person, and they smell exactly like mine. Same size, shape, color, yellow eye, fade to purple, etc., and he describes the growth habit to be like mine. The only slight difference was that his blooms had slightly thicker petals, so I think mine and yours, if not actually Rose Red, are very close relatives.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Its brutal right now 92/101( heat index) at 10 pm. I am watering smalls (2 gals + under) daily and bigs every other day. Even my in ground plants were showing wrinkles and drooping.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is your Rose Red a fast grower jandey? Mine seems to be growing at a snail pace lol. Kms2 I have to do the same thing with my plants. It had to water my noid plumeria again because it was wilting.

• jandey1
    10 years ago

It grew from a short thin stick to a tall thin stick very quickly the first two years and has now slowed down. I would put it in the medium to fast-growing category. To me the most distinctive thing is the strong fruity smell, like no other I've smelled.

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That sounds a lot like mine lol. It started out thin, and slowly the stems have thickened. It was a 3 ft tall stick before it produced the inflo, now I have 3 branches. I definitely love the fruity fragrance. I decided to move mine to a bright shade area to see if that helps. I may plunge my largest plumerias next year, or plant them in the ground and dig them up in Fall.