Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help

Posted by NicholasH none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 20:56

Hello everyone, today I just repotted 2 Plumerias that I just received from the Plumeria Show yesterday in Houston, Texas. The left is a Hilo Beauty. The right is a Lemon Drop. The left one is what I'm currently concerned about. I usually don't have a problem with repotting them. But today I did. The soil was loose and damp. There was no such thing as pulling out at once without all the soil breaking apart. The seller must have putt these Plumerias in these pots to sell them. Any ways, when I pulled the left one out of the ground it ripped some of the roots. In fact a lot! So I am asking y'all, will my plant make it? What should I do to it?
Thanks, Nicholas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help

Depends how much you ripped out. Really I've never seen any plant die from root loss. They are really hardy plants. Hopefully someone with more experience with plumeria will help. I've had them for 3 years.

o

I would say about 70% of the root system was accidently removed. Mainly, the roots at the bottom of the root ball. Kinda worried right now. Payed a decent amount of money for that plant. Guess we're going to have to find out what will happen. I heard to keep it dry? Any one else?

o

I don't think you need to worry too much.

I would just give it some B-1 and keep it in an area that gets bright shade or filtered sun for a week or two and keep an eye on it.

I think keeping it a little on the dryer side is good advice also.

Good luck!

o

If it is a rooted plant and you rip some of the roots it will be fine but you need to water it after you put it in a new pot. You also need to treat it like a regular plant and water it as needed, which means if you get a lot of hot weather you need to water it more. I am in CA and water a couple of times a week when it is hot. During the winter when it has no leaves then you don't water it at all. Barb
p.s. Like any other plant if you repot it for any reason you need to add water when you are done. It keeps the plant from going in shock and also it will keep all the soil together.

This post was edited by barb13 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 22:14

o

I would recommend keeping in the shade on warm concrete and not watering for about 10 days and then decide if it needs it. I would then just water along the inside edge of the container. Kind think of it it like re-rooting but faster.

In the picture it looks OK outside of needing a stake and raising the soil level in the container to prevent sunburn.

o

I agree with Tiki..Barb and K!! Hi.. ;-)

Things happen and sometimes we want to hurry and repot. Just use as a learning experience. Let them grow and get established. We all have done this, so don't feel bad...

I was packing up some trees while I was in Cali and I grabbed this tree from the stem at the base of the container. Well.. The container was very heavy and the tree just pulled right out of the mix. I though I would die... It is a variety that I had been wanting, so I was sick. It only had a few short little roots left. I wrapped them in some soil and packed it to send home.

Once home and unpacked.. I repotted it and staked it so it wouldn't move. I placed it like others mentioned in the shade to recover from shock.. It's doing fine.. It lost a few leaves, but its recovering. Like K said, think of it as a re rooting.. I did water though. Keep it still and don't move it.. Let it adjust and it should do fine.. Then slowly acclimate to the sun after a few weeks.. Warm concrete, shade would be really beneficial if possible..

Love both varieties!! Great selections..

Good luck.. Im Sure it will be fine. Stake both if they are not stable. It's better to stake and let the roots grow for more stabilization then to find it leaning and breaking roots. Once it is established, you can remove stakes.
I leave my stakes.. Just makes me feel better !

You can find tomato stakes in two feet sections at the box stores.. Green garden tape.. Works wonders. ;-)

Take care,

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here