Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumatherapy

Taj mahal bud drop HELP!

plumatherapy
12 years ago

I'm really bummed. My beautiful new 5 gal taj mahal

that I got at JJ's open house last Sat is dropping buds. It has two nice big inflos and the buds have looked like they should open any minute for a week now. Instead they are starting to fall off about ten now.

I have read on this forum that this is common with this variety. Sure wish I knew that before I bought it. Just wondering what anyone else has experienced with Taj Mahal.

I have seen it in bloom at John's and it is so unique and beautiful I really hope this problem will correct it'self.

I know we have had several cooler days in so cal maybe that is it.

Thank you everyone for all your gorgeous pics and advice

Ellen

Comments (11)

• Kimo
    12 years ago

Ellen,
    I bought my Taj Mahal from John 2 years ago. I brought my 5 gal home with inflo. Within the week the buds started to drop, sometimes its because of heat, sun, humidity changes, different micro climates, plus who knows if John had the Taj M in a Greenhouse before the open house.
    Well alter in the season my Taj sent out new inflos that did not make it before the cold, but it bloomed the next season. I also have several inflos on her this season also, waiting for them to bloom.

Even if the inflos on your Taj M fall off it is a good bloomer, sending out new inflos on short tips. Good luck

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hey James,
    Great to see ya here again. Man, have I missed seeing you around here. I did get my jack Orange along with J105 and Sparkle.

Did you ever get my emails?

Take care,
    Andrew

• Kimo
    12 years ago

Hey Andrew,
    Was in Europe for 3 weeks, just got back yesterday. Ill check.

• plumatherapy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So far all of my buds have gotten to this point and
    fallen off :-( I am still hopeful that at least some of them will make it.

{{gwi:1188789}}

• sunseeker53
    12 years ago

That looks like a nice healthy inflo, Ellen! Hope some of the younger buds will stay on so you can see some flowers this summer! I bought a Taj Mahal too, but mine didn't come with inflos so I don't expect to see flowers this summer :-(

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Ellen,

Im so sorry for the bud drop. hopefully with all of those blooms it will recover form the reason which caused the blooms to drop off.

What a beautiful tree!!

Congratulations on the size of your inflo...WOW!!!

Laura in VB

• plumatherapy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok I admit it, I gave in and literally peeled this one open. Small weak version of what it should be but better than watching it drop.
    So far none have opened on their own they just contine to drop

• mystwitch
    12 years ago

don't know if this will help but used to experience the same on Bali Palace (similar shaped bloom). Jack Morgan of Kimi's told me to use a fertilizer with more potassium. You might try that.
    kb

• alohalani
    10 years ago

As I read this thread, I felt like it was me who wrote it! HELP! I'm experiencing the SAME issue with my TM. I actually put it in my greenhouse thinking I could get the buds to open. It has dropped 99% of it near opened buds. I'm so sad! Wish I hadn't bought it. I usually have very good luck with all my plumies!!!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

My Taj Mahal does the same thing..

It has huge Inflos and has been blooming all summer long, but it does seem to drop pre maturely. I watch and hope that they make it to the point of finally opening. Most do, but a lot do drop. This happened last year as well. A friend of mine experiences the same on his Taj Mahal.

Could it just be the variety ?

Laura

• alohalani
    10 years ago

I have heard from several people that "she is a Drama Queen.) LOL I just wonder if anyone knows if she likes direct sun, shade, etc. VERY frustrating!!

Sponsored
Mission Exteriors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Washington DC's Expert Window Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Products