Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

OT: my plumies new home

Won't be long till I'm here for good. Ive Been doing paint, carpet, landscaping etc after work and on weekends. Since my plants need daily attention I haven't brought any here except for the bananas.
Once I'm here y'all are invited to a pool party!
Mike

Comments (32)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Other side.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Oh Mike! What a beautiful yard! I LOVE it! So peaceful and beautiful! I am sure your babies will be very happy here. Can't wait to see more photos or your oasis.

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Woah... what are those blooming trees? I love them!! Gorgeous! I wish we have land like that. To have such a large yard we would have to be in the desert or inland somewhere. Either that or have a 5 mil and up to spend on a house.

So happy for you!

• cointx
    10 years ago

I'll bring the margaritas!

What a beautiful place to relax. Add your plumie's and it should be heaven.

Congrats!

• rox146
    10 years ago

Are those Crepe Myrtles??? When can I make my reservation....how peaceful and ZEN!!!!...roxanne

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. yes those are crepe myrtles. Crepe myrtles are everywhere here in Oklahoma. My favorites are the dark reds which i dont have here, yet. I love them. They even have a great scent! This was my grandparents home where my mother grew up and when I was a child. it has been in the family since '73. I'm moving in to take care of the place and eventually buy it. It was either that or sell it to whomever and i couldnt let it go that easy. They are up there in years and cant take care of it anymore.

Door will always be open.

Mike

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    10 years ago

Great! I bet the pool's water gives you an extra couple of degrees of temperature on a cool night.

• rox146
    10 years ago

Mike, our other house, which we just sold for Ca. pennies on the dollar, had the dark red Crepes and the purply ones...that was my favorite. Now, oddly enough, we sit in Ventura 1 block from the beach and there are 2 light pink Crepe Myrtles blooming 2 blocks from the beach. Go figure, thought they needed heat which they do not get here. Lovely property and enjoy every minute. roxanne

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks K. I've never thought about the pool helping create a micro climate. I may have to do some testing this winter.

Rox that is great you get to enjoy some still. they literally grow like weeds here. sadly so many home owners and even pro landscapers commit crepe"murder" and botch up the look of them.

Have you seen the new black diamond crepes? Almost black leaves and vibrant colors. I hope to get one soon. They are so beautiful.

Mike

• rox146
    10 years ago

No Mike I have not. I did notice on our other location that they came up by seed really fast. Your new place is wonderful...wish I still had that much room. Went from over half acre to a tiny plot in a marina. roxanne

• Lnorigb
    10 years ago

so.much.space!!! Well Done!

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Ooh, a little slice of Heaven, Mike! What a wonderful landscaping job your family did; it's obviously a well-loved home! Gonna look even better with some plumies planted around the pool. I even see a good spot for a Lemon Drop to add a splash of yellow. Soon!

Do you happen to know which variety of purple crepe that is? I'm looking for a medium grower, hardy and mildew resistant.

Keep us posted with more pics!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Looks great, Mike!
    Can't wait to see pics of your plumies around the pool like Laura does. :)

I love the scent of the classic dark pink crepe myrtles.

-Robert

• nativec
    10 years ago

What a beautiful piece of property! I had to close my eyes and imagine it with plumerias. You will have a piece of heaven!

Congratulations! Please keep us updated:)

Nicole

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

Very nice, Mike. You'll enjoy the pool while floating and viewing the plumies!!
    Lonnie

• pcput
    10 years ago

Nice yard Mike! Hope the house is equally as nice,but the yard is more important. :)
    Peg

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.

It got a bit crazy last night. We had storms with 70 mph winds. Knocked all my plants over and big trees too.

mike

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

I lost a huge branch off California Sunset which left a gaping hole in the trunk where it was attached. Trying not to be upset about it. I'll just try to root my first cutting! :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

that stinks robert. but now you have 2!

JJ's plants tend to root pretty easy. you'll do fine.

Mike

• jandey1
    10 years ago

Oh, no, I'm sorry about the storm damage, guys! Another good reason to plunge or plant bigger plants with your OK winds strong as they are.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! The plumies will be happy for sure.
    I bought one of those black diamond crape myrtles at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago. It`s in a pot at the moment.
    Tally HO!

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Mike, what a beautiful yard, gorgeous. Wait till the plumies are added to the view. One of my dogs is from Oklahoma, I may have to go visit!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jen. The worst part for me is the day before the storm i had just put all the packing peanuts that Alan put in with my Scott pratt. Well sure enough they all blew out of the trash can and into the yard, Thousands of them. My son and I were vacuuming them up for about an hour last night. I tried using the mower with a grass catcher but it just made them smaller, LOL

Tally
    i was looking at the red flowered black diamonds today at lunch. Wow they are gorgeous! What color did you get?

Simi
    How cool is that. What kind of dog? My lab is about 12 and she still loves to go swimming. I get in with her now because she gets tired quick.

• Kenny
    10 years ago

LOL Mike that is funny of you trying to collect the packing peanuts with your lawnmower. I saw a lot of crape myrtles in our HD and Lowe's stores here. People in my neighborhood started planting them in their yards too. I think I should get one but I bought 2 vitex plants earlier this month so a crape myrtle will have to wait untilI figure out where it will go lol.

Kenny

• georgecc
    10 years ago

Mike, my dog from Oklahoma, who coincidentally is named "Mike", too, is from the panhandle of your state. He's an English Shepherd, which ironically is the name of the old American farm dog, that used to be all over the place a good while back. They're related to the Border Collies and Australian Shepherds. He swims with me, and goes to soak in the pool when it's hot, but that's about it. I actually thought of renting a Lab or a Golden for a weekend to show them how to really have fun in the water. Although Mike does go down to the pool slide with me. You must have a had a great time all these years in the pool with your dog. Glad your dog can still enjoy it, even if he needs a little help.

• bobthewizard
    10 years ago

Beautiful...
    Can't wait to see finished pics...

~Bob

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

HI MIke,,

OMG. your yard is STUNNING... Look at all of the possibilities.!!

I can see it now... Plumies all over the outline of the pool. Palms in and around. Bananas too!!!

Your own slice of paradise!!! Ahhhhhh... Now. Time for a Run. Runner Machine,, ;-)

So happy for you!!! You deserve this and I know you will enjoy the yard. As well as making a new place to grow and live in happiness!!!

You deserve this!! ;-)

Mahalo!!

Laura

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

I'd be sinking pots of plumerias in and around the crapes. Hopefully they won't blow over in storms that way.

Is it hard to keep the pool clean with the crapes dropping flowers?

Original Author
    10 years ago

hey Simi, Your dog and I share a lot in common dont we, haha.

laura

Thanks for you comments that really nice. You kind of have an idea what Im going through so Its nice to hear kind words. I need to get a hold of some more palms. I let mine at my old place. I had pindo's, needle, and sago palms overwinter 2 years with no protection. I think they can do just fine here.

Bob. I love taking pictures so progress shots will be coming

Hey Dave. I will for sure plunge a few. I wanted to try some inground but im not sure if its too late this year.
    yes that is the bad thing about crepes. The little flowers go everywhere. The skimmer basket and leaf brush work overtime.

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

HI MIke & Dave,

I also have Crepes near my pool... Just a warning!!! Lol. They do clog up the filter baskets. They need to be checked everyday... Argh! But, it's worth it!!!!

Sinking containers will be a great idea for you!! Like the idea of palms too!

Mike... All will be well and you are there for a good reason!!! life is good and you will love your new place. i have no doubt that this will be your paradise!!!!

;-)

Have fun decorating your lovely new home!!!

Good things happen to good people...

Laura

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Mike, I LOVE your new backyard, just paradise!!! OMG, trying not to be too jealous!!! LOL!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura. that means a lot.

Emily. if you ever make it to Tulsa come on by.

Hey Jen.

Bad news :( that storm we had snapped half of the brug off. I'm so sad. It was getting big too.

Mike