Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

should I buy hundreds?

tdogdad
11 years ago

Many people were shocked when I said you eventually need land the size of a VW bug for each plant. When I went to pick up Bud Guillot to take him to JJs sale I took a couple of pictures to give you a better idea of what is 50 years later for a plumie addict. Enjoy. The first is the California Sally with Saigon Moon behind and Jeannie Moragne on the right. The second is the Jeannie.

Uploaded with

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments (28)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Ok you weren't kidding when you said they are trees!! Great I bought 3 today after you left! But my sister bought 9! LOL

It was soooo nice meeting you and Bud. I can't wait to tour Bud's garden one day soon. :)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

The California Sally has a beautiful canopy. As long as I live here, in a house that's paid for, on land that's paid for, I'll never have that. :(

If I could afford it, I would ask DH for us to retire someplace where I -could- have that. It just isn't meant to be, though.

Maybe I should stop buying. Well, maybe after a few more. I only have 17 plants in 1 gallon or under. 2 plants in 3 gallon. I'm ok for now. :)

No Clue - I'm glad you had a good time. So, your sister is going to plantsit for you? What did you buy today? Got pics? I'm so envious of those of you that can walk in someplace and buy a fully rooted and blooming tree.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your sister got some real beauties. If you have to start somewhere, she started with some really beautiful plants. I think I see another addict. I mailed you the pics of you two and Bud but I forgot to send my asian spoiled dog (Chelsea or aka Cdog).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

I must rethink where to retire to grow Plumeria's like that

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh what an adorable pup! I can do nothing but admire the person that keeps that dogs coat in such good shape! LOL

Gardenbear - got a place in mind? :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Bill,

You are so right about the size of those trees...

Brings back fond memories when Bud and I had our picture taken in between the branches of that huge California Sally. The size of the main stem was one that i cannot even describe. I think i was still speechless at the time my DH and I were there. Bud is such a gentleman and he is most gracious as well as you.

Chelsea is NOT SPOILED!!! LOL.. She is just a beauty who knows when she has her time at the "Spa" LOL.. All ladies need some TLC sometimes and that includes.. "Chelsea" She sure is a beauty!! Love the glasses!! Tell S that she sure does look like the VIP in the Spur. household!!!

Hope you all had a goodtime today..i was thinking about you all at the open house while suffering the 103* temps here on the east coast...

Wish i was there...

Take care,

Laura

• Tropic_7
    11 years ago

These are fine examples of plumeria trees!
    I gave a lady friend of mine 9 cuttings from different ones I have for a trade off for some bromeliads she had.
    I will say she followed my instructions and they are all growing quite well, however...... she planted them in a row and a foot or two apart from each other!
    YES!!! she did see my trees, so she knew quite well they get the size of a VW.
    She also likes roses.... I think some folks think they can grow like roses!!!, I'll post a picture later as they are in her front yard.
    Stuart

• stormys_mom
    11 years ago

Bill
    Hundreds lol I see what you mean about the size of a vw :) I guess some us will soon have a used car lot lol. I am cooling my heels for now. I have lots on my list of wants, but need to think about space since I have to bring them in for winter. I only have 4 rooted plants, 4 currently rooting and lots of seedlings, so I think I am good for now even tho I am dying for a siam red. So glad you put it all in prospective. I am already addicted but will have to behave myself. Unless that red gets the best of me lol

Jackie

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Aw, there's our favorite beach angel! Bill, my little one giggles his head off at photos of Chelsea, especially in her hats.

Hope you and Bud had a great time at the open house--did either of you find something you couldn't live without? We're all dying to hear!

Yes, we're all in denial about how big these things will get, hoping, like Laura, that we can keep them root-pruned and in 5-gallon containers. Actually, I'm banking on 7- or 10-gallon containers and calculating how many I can fit in one side of the garage. After that, that's it, I'm done! Really. I mean it. ;)

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Oh Bill Chelsea is gorgeous and she knows it!! What a little sassy princess! Love it. LOL

• kasiec
    11 years ago

Cdog is precious and definitely a California gal dog!! Wow, those trees look amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Kasie

• nativec
    11 years ago

What great photos Bill! What a perfect illustration of the VW analogy ....LOL. I'm trying to decide if I should stop buying plumeria or just buy a bigger house...hum...a bigger house definitely! Kidding, kidding!

I hope everyone had a great time at JJ's open house. It broke my heart that I didn't go, but I know my willpower wasnt strong enough to resist buying "just one more". I'm hoping someone will post pics of what I missed.

My Celadine, TLD and NR and doing great! Thank you again!

And Cdog is certainly a diva X10, how precious!

Take care,

Nicole

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jennifer- I went just to share some time in the car with Bud and not to buy any, period. But there was this Taj Majal that kept calling me so I gave in. Then Bud found a beautiful Rhonda that he got. I was looking at two small, non flowering Rhondas trying to decide if I wanted to buy one. John began dealing offering a price that was about half. Then he said the magic "two for the price of one" with 3 Christina cuttings thrown in. John knows how to work an old addict. I caved in. Then when I returned Bud, he went out and hacked a big limb off his Wildfire for me cause he knew mine had died in the 07 freeze. Add these to the Katie Moragne and Angus Gold rooted plants that Brian is mailing me from Maui Plumeria Gardens and my "i will not buy any more" is now up to 9 for 2012. I do not have room for several hundred VW bugs. "Hi, my name is Bill, and I am a bad example for the newbies."

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Ha! See you caved too!! And you bought TWO Rhondas at least I don't have any duplicates (yet). Yeah I was soo tempted by that Taj Mahal too... but I resisted.

Then on my way out I bought Wizard and Star of Siam (the scent and the colors) and I knew I was not going to go home without them! I also picked up Penang Peach for a shiny penny. It's very young so probably won't bloom this year. Since I love CA Sunset so much and PP is so similar but not exactly the same, I just had to get it. I'm partial to the sweeter scent than spicy.

I would have taken Typhoon but I couldn't detect any scent? Same w/ Napoli which was blooming like crazy!

I also have my eye on Mandalay, Cherokee Geisha, JJ Mini Red and Hurricane Sunrise (which is not for sale). But I MUST resist!! At least until next week. ;)

• pcput
    11 years ago

Oh Bill !!! You are one of us. Boy we just love to feed the addiction. I would have thought "you" and "Bud" could have resisted. There's always room for one more. I Love it !!! and your little dog too. :) Peg

• sflgplume
    11 years ago

LOL Bill, your initial post made my face flare up with shame as I read it, thinking, if Bill saw my back terrace and the sea of green leaves (with some flowers here and there) on it, he'd click his tongue and say, I warned you...

But your confession made me feel SO much better!!! Hahaha thank you for 'fessing up :-)

BTW, it's my turn to warn you: Katie Moragne is just like her siblings...mine is a solid year old now, and, I swear to God, I never knew a one-tip plant could occupy so much sun space!!! She's enormous! (And so far, stingy with the blooms...)

Greg

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Bill, LMAO! Bad example, indeed, but what kind of plumeria addict can pass up a two-fer, with freebies thrown in?! And so good to hear you'll have Wildfire again. What a red.

N-C, give us the skinny on Mini-Red--how was the scent? Is it worth the shipping cost for us fools outside the state?

• beachplant
    11 years ago

ah, but one good hurricane and they are gone. By the time the replacements get that big it will no longer be my problem.
    Tally HO!

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

one other good point about California- no hurricanes. They come up the coast of Mexico but die when they hit the cool Japan current. We get the big south swell surf but no raging storms. However, we do have Santa Ana Winds in the fall that can do some damage.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

If mine ever get that big we may have other problems but then again I wish they could. Since mine are pretty much pot bound I guess my limits are storage and ability to move them.

Mike.

• John Perilloux
    11 years ago

Man, that California Sally is huge. I had plumerias in the yard of every house I lived in in Hawaii, but none of them were ever that big.
    You had a freeze in Costa Mesa in '07? I didn't think it ever got that cold there.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

hurricanes and freezes, but no wildfires, earthquakes, avalanches, mudslides.
    I actually think the only reason all the plumeria died in the freeze after Ike is that they were all so stressed from the hurricane and up to 14' of salt water and then not enough rain. Mine had survived much worse freezes in the 22 years it was in front of the house. Most of the trees on the island died in the hurricane, about 90% including 100 year old oaks.

Even with perfect weather ours won't get that big, the water table, salt, etc of a barrier island limits the growth of all trees.
    Tally HO!

• blulagoon
    9 years ago

Those are gorgeous trees, but check these out:

• blulagoon
    9 years ago

Another....

• blulagoon
    9 years ago

and another....

• blulagoon
    9 years ago

Another view

• blulagoon
    9 years ago

one more.....

• blulagoon
    9 years ago

and just one more..... This one I took in Key West, the rest are from Miami Beach. I'm pretty sure the really tall pink ones are Miami Rose, I have no clue what variety the yellow kinds are, and I think the last red one could possibly be a Kauka Wilder.

This post was edited by blulagoon on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 15:30