Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nativec

First case of black tip...am I doing the right thing?

nativec
11 years ago

Hello All,

I'm hoping for some help. I bought a rooted cutting of Thai Orange Splendour and about a week after it arrived the leaves fell( no biggie) but then I noticed the tip turning black. I've battled mites, slugs, snails and catapillars but never have I had black tip. I emailed the seller who told me to wipe the tip with alcohol and if that didn't work to use a fungal spray for roses.

So I isolated the plant and started immediately with the rose spray. I saw little result. So I started with alcohol I picked up the 91% strong stuff. This caused the tip to start drying and shriveling. But it still seems to be moving down the cutting.

This stuff is awful!

Am I doing the right thing? I know some say to cut the tip and others say it will dry and fall off leaving a more natural scar.

I would greatly appreciate ANY help.

Thank you!

Nicole

Comments (18)

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

return it or cut off the tip till to get to clean wood.

is it outside? is it in full or part sun? do you spray the plumie or just water the soil?

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Houston- the seller(a reputable one I might add) never offered me a return option. I have it in a protected area under a shade cloth as my temps even today were 109*. I sprayed just the tip when I was using the rose spray and when I moved to alcohol I'm dousing a paper towel and rubbing just the black tip and a touch below. I'm doing this every day.

You think I should cut to clean wood?

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I would cut it, rotting just seems to get worse.
    Tally HO!

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Beach! And tally-ho right back at ya:)

• joanr
    11 years ago

Nativec,

I had a plant (Lava Flow) that developed black tip. I cut the tip off and it has developed 3 new tips so although it won't bloom for me this year, I have 3 new branches and I did not loose my plant. So yes, I would cut the tip off till you get only white wood.

Good luck,
    Joan

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Nicole,

I would cut too!

Like Houston mentioned.. cut to clean wood. I would cut one inch below the black tip line. Clean your prunning shears after cutting.

Let it seal up naturally after a couple of hours and then i would seal it with either waterproof wood glue ( white glue) or what others use ( DAP) to prevent rot from moisture.

Good luck!!

Laura

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    11 years ago

I also vote for cutting (ASAP)! One of my plumies got black-tip this winter, and I ended up hacking off huge sections of 2 branches because I waited too long to do something about it. There's a happy ending to this story, though, because each of these amputee limbs are now splitting into 3 or 4 new branches. My one word of advice, though, is to make SURE you get to clean wood - better to over cut than under, since the rot will continue if you don't get rid of it fully, and you'll end up cutting more the second time! (I learned this the hard way.)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I`d move it to a protected area also, you don`t want it raining into the cut tip and further rotting the plant.
    Tally Ho!

Ps, my real first name IS Tally
    My brother tried to get me to marry his best friend whose last name was Talley, then they tried to get me to marry Dr. Ho, and finally the U of H coach....Whacker. I love my family, I love my family.

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you every one!! Looks like I'll be doing a little surgery on my cutting tonight. Wish me luck!

Nicole

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

I lost one to black tip last winter because I waited to cut it back. Quickly the entire thing rotted. I would cut, sterilize, cut, sterilize... etc. Good luck!

Tally, you're too funny. Gotta love the family, right?

Rachel

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally-I love that! And here I was thinking of the expression:) So are we to assume that Dr. Ho is the one who won your heart..LOL

Nice to meet you :) I will be cutting my plant ASAP

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well dear GW friends. Here is the final score:

Black tip-1 Nicole-0

I came home from work, sterilized my surgerical tools( a very sharp blade) prepared to annihilate some black tip, only to discover that my cutting was soft like over cooked spaghetti :(. I'm devasted and disappointed. There was nothing to salvage.

I appreciate all the words of wisdom and help.

• No-Clue
    11 years ago

Oh no!! I'm soo sorry to hear that!! What a bummer... I hope Seller can send you a replacement!

I had to send away 4 of mine to a friend to help me save them. They are currently on life support. I would be devastated too if they don't make it. :( So sorry!!

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Nicole, I hope you'll contact the seller again. Since you've expressed your concerns to them already they shouldn't hesitate to replace your plant or give you a refund.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I say cut it.

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

:( Sorry to hear that Nicole

• nativec
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good news! The seller is going to replace it, quote, "no problem". There is something to say for a seller who treats his customers well!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Congrats on the replacement, maybe you can save this one and have two! :)

No, I turned down all of them. Have 3 exes and none with the right name so back to the maiden name. Though I was Tally A. Fish for awhile,which fit living on the coast.
    I just tell everyone Tally Ho, it`s easy to remember.
    Tally HO!